Help me troubleshoot CPS

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know about that, it was a downpour at 5:30 in the morning, just standing in the dark at the bus stop getting wet. No umbrella but you can bet I had good rain gear!

Don't use an umbrella in Reno unless you want to be pegged as an out-of-towner or worse from Vegas....especially if it's snowing.

Anthony

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having this very same problem. I was riding one day and at a stop light, the bike stalled and when I went to restart it, it illuminated the check engine light when I would try to start it. I tried holding the button to start the engine and then the check engine light remained on constantly with error code 12 showing. I bought a new battery and that did not solve the problem. I pulled off the cover to see the sensor and everything looks fine. When I rock the bike back and forth in gear, the error goes away but when I try to start it, I get the check engine light and clicking. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am to the point where I am probably going to take it to a mechanic tomorrow morning.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having this very same problem. I was riding one day and at a stop light, the bike stalled and when I went to restart it, it illuminated the check engine light when I would try to start it. I tried holding the button to start the engine and then the check engine light remained on constantly with error code 12 showing. I bought a new battery and that did not solve the problem. I pulled off the cover to see the sensor and everything looks fine. When I rock the bike back and forth in gear, the error goes away but when I try to start it, I get the check engine light and clicking. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am to the point where I am probably going to take it to a mechanic tomorrow morning.

You might start a new thread for this; have you tried push starting the bike?

Did you charge the new battery? Honestly it sounds like battery connections; starter relay (on top of the battery),or the starter itself.

How many miles and what year of bike?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As Randy mentioned, how many miles do you have on the bike? Mine actually turned out to be the brushes on the starter. It was worn out after 100k miles worth of starts. I also had a worn out kill switch as well which caused the bike to cut out and have difficult restarting again. So you can rule out the battery since you just bought a new one.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The repeated clicking is as FI stated a sign of a weak battery/connection. If your getting the error code #12 and you have a fresh battery with good voltage and depth of charge there may be a problem with the mechanical timing. If there is in fact a mechanical timing problem it might explain the clicking. The starter could be active and the battery is good but there may be a piston against a valve. The deadheading could cause enough current to be drawn that there is a low voltage as if a weak battery. The ECU would then see the starter signal but no signal from the CPS and toss the #12 error code. He is getting a repeated #12 error code with CEL and a symptom of low voltage.
Check that the engine can be mechanically turned freely and then go from there. You might also look at your standing battery voltage and record your cranking voltage drop.

Last edited:

Cappy

Reaction score
Visit site

Any progress on this?