Help needed! Stripped the threads in my oil pan

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You may find and oversize bolt they sell them at auto part stores, either that or tap it.
I've used an over sized bolt before as a get me home. I very carefully screwed it in then unscrewed it. Cleaned the threads and repeated the process. I think that there is a possible risk of cracking the pain if to much pressure goes through the original thread insert.

Nelly

justaguy

Reaction score
Visit site
It entertains me when people get their panties in a bunch on social media. Need to take social media for what it is, there are some good ideas and some not so good ideas here.

You all need a good :spank: and if you don't like it then :Flip: as I am going to keep :rockon:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It entertains me when people get their panties in a bunch on social media. Need to take social media for what it is, there are some good ideas and some not so good ideas here.

You all need a good :spank: and if you don't like it then :Flip: as I am going to keep :rockon:

Yes, some intended humor went sideways but generally speaking all is well. Just opinions and options to solve a problem.

As none of us sit in the OPs shoes, we don't know what their options are for $funds$, skills, tools, work area, etc so it becomes a dumping pot of options that some have used to solve a problem.

Its the best and only thing we can provide short of sending service team on site with a new oil pan and 3qt of oil of the OPs choice! Blah

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re the time cert, here's a vieo and some Q&A's re the procedure:

http://www.timesert.com/html/faq.html

IMO, I would pull the pan and spring for a new gasket(hopefully the header bolts come out). I wouldn't chance metal floating around.

As a side note, my friends old, 07 FJR, the drain pan bolt stripped (about the same as the FZ).

We pulled the pan and had it heli-coiled at a machine shop. Unfortunatly, the drilling and tapping were NOT dead on, (very close). However, with the heli coil in, the pan would NOT drain fully. It would leave maybe 1/4" of il in the pan. The oil alone I wouldn't worry about, any shavings, yes, I would worry about..

IMO, I'd look for a used good pan here (on the forum) or just pick up a new one. Their not terribly expensive and by the time your done paying someone to fix it or buying a kit, your probably halfways to a new pan anyway..

BTW, there is ONE BOLT dead smack in the middle if you remove the pan.

Last edited:

XTremo

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't cut corners on stuff like this.....and unless I'd physically checked it myself I wouldn't buy a used pan. Just buy a new one!

Yes....it'll cost more than a workaround but it'll be a damn sight cheaper than a new engine!