HID Kit Compatibility

NOLA

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, wasn't sure if it should go in mods or general. I am interested in changing out the stock headlight bulbs to HID's. I have some Plug and Play kits in my truck that were literally just plug and play. Are these the same for the bikes too? I seen a few forum posts but most are about modifying and putting in projectors. I am just trying to buy a kit and slap them in, I just didn't know if the charging system would handle it and if they would work properly.

Thanks in advanced, sorry if it is already posted here and I missed it.

Jeff

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The problem with any plug n play claim will be with the reflectors. I've seen cars and bikes that don't work correctly with the plug n play HID or LED conversion kits.

The best way to upgrade your headlamps is with a projector type HID. This requires pulling your headlamp assembly ,putting it in the oven to separate the lens and body so you can install the projector assemblies. Many people black out the chrome reflector because it is no longer needed and I think it looks good that way.
I have a Speedmetal brand LED conversion kit on my bike but the lamps never last a year before failing from overheating. So far I've been lucky and gotten them to replace them but now they're arguing that the assemblies are out of warranty. My argument is they say on the package that they last for 30,000 hours. I tell them that if I rode 4 hours, 7 days a week for twenty plus years that would be 30,0000 hours. So if you have a year warranty and you replace it with a new one, shouldn't the new one be under the one year warranty? Lol! If you sell a defective unit, it's not my problem!

Either way, one of the most important considerations for throwing any light source in you OEM headlamp assembly is how it will work with your reflector. My LEDs claim double the lumen output of a standard halogen lamp, That may be an accurate claim but if that output gets reflected to the wrong place it is not better. For example. My LED headlamp throws lots of it's light on the ground right in front of the bike. Two very important things happen to make them an inferior design. One is light output that should be radiated forward from the bike get radiated on the ground right in front of the bike. The second part of that is how our eyes work. The light on the ground right in front of the bike dilates your pupils. This means that the light that is reflected off object in front in the distance is reduced coming into your eye. You end up with an inferior and possibly worse or dangerous lighting system.
So marketing words like research and development claims of superior heat dissipation, double the lumens, and typical life span of 30,000 hours mean absolutely nothing, zero, nada!

Search the forum and you'll find examples of HID projectors that have high and low beam cut-off shutters. In my mind this is the best headlight conversion. Some have cool looking halos! This will have to be the way I'll go next.