High beam indicator not working. Help needed asap!

EDDAKA

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I recently crashed my Fz6, and needed to install a new gauge cluster since mine broke. I chose the RX1N from koso. Everything went pretty smoothly, except for one thing. I used this diagram posted by a member here.

"YELLOW+YELLOW" is supposed to be the high beam indicator. Before I soldered all the wires i connected them and the high beam worked. however when i flip it on, no indicator pops on the gauge. I can't currently start the bike since the tank is being painted, but i thought I could at least make the cluster show the high beam signal when the bike has the key in the "on" position.

I used a continuity tester and I followed the yellow wire all the way to dimmer (headlight) relay, and checked the fuses. What am I missing here? Is there anyway to test the left hand controls to make sure it's switching on the brights?

I do know the ONLY wire that has nothing to plug into is a black wire with a white stripe.

Anybody have ideas?

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a relay that the ECU has to enable for the headlight circuit to be active. The ECU will not allow the headlamp relay turn on until it knows the engine is running. There is a way to make the circuit active by proving a ground path for that relay but I would not ground that wire while it's still wired to the ECU not knowing what the ECU switching device state is. In other words you could damage the ECU. You can ground the headlight relay safely as long as you detach the wire that is going to The ECU and then ground the relay with the ignition key on. This will give you and active headlamp circuit. )

Last edited:

EDDAKA

Reaction score
Visit site
Before I soldered everything (just twisted wires together) and the bike was off, I was still able to activate the high beam indicator on the Koso unit with no headlight attached. Why would it not work now?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Before I soldered everything (just twisted wires together) and the bike was off, I was still able to activate the high beam indicator on the Koso unit with no headlight attached. Why would it not work now?

Mis-wired?

EDDAKA

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you saying that the high beam indicator SHOULD NOT come on unless the bike is powered up and the headlight is on?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you saying that the high beam indicator SHOULD NOT come on unless the bike is powered up and the headlight is on?

Just checked that on my 07 and YES, that is CORRECT.

With the ignition turned on (engine not running), flip onto HB, the blue (stock) dash indicator light DOES NOT ILLUMINATE..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just checked that on my 07 and YES, that is CORRECT.

With the ignition turned on (engine not running), flip onto HB, the blue (stock) dash indicator light DOES NOT ILLUMINATE..

Correct! The headlight system should not be active until the engine is running.
This includes S1 and S2 FZ-6

The color code will be a yellow wire for USA models 04-06 and a black with yellow tracer wire on 07 and later FZ-6

There is a possibility that the headlamp relay or the ECU control for the relay failed and the circuit has been by passed but you would know this when you turn the ignition switch to the on position because the headlight circuit would be live with the engine off. If you previously tested the unit and had the engine running and then hit the kill switch, the headlight circuit would still be active as long as the key was still on. :)

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is indeed what he's saying.

When you turn your ignition switch and kill switch on, you get power to running lights, signals, and to the fuel pump among other things. But the headlight stays off as Motogiro posted. Once you start the engine, the headlight receives power through the relay.

EDIT: Sorry, appears Cliff already answered this!

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a relay that the ECU has to enable for the headlight circuit to be active. The ECU will not allow the headlamp relay turn on until it knows the engine is running. The is a way to make the circuit active by proving a ground path for that relay but I would not ground that wire while it's still wired to the ECU not knowing what the ECU switching device state is. In other words you could damage the ECU. You can ground the headlight relay safely as long as you detach the wire that is going to The ECU and then ground the relay with the ignition key on. This will give you and active headlamp circuit. )
A genius at work...............

psw

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I recently crashed my Fz6, and needed to install a new gauge cluster since mine broke. I chose the RX1N from koso. Everything went pretty smoothly, except for one thing. I used this diagram posted by a member here.

"YELLOW+YELLOW" is supposed to be the high beam indicator. Before I soldered all the wires i connected them and the high beam worked. however when i flip it on, no indicator pops on the gauge. I can't currently start the bike since the tank is being painted, but i thought I could at least make the cluster show the high beam signal when the bike has the key in the "on" position.

I used a continuity tester and I followed the yellow wire all the way to dimmer (headlight) relay, and checked the fuses. What am I missing here? Is there anyway to test the left hand controls to make sure it's switching on the brights?

I do know the ONLY wire that has nothing to plug into is a black wire with a white stripe.

Anybody have ideas?

Hello, I know that this is an old thread but I just need to ask one thing related to the image and the EOBD connection, did you manage to get this light working in your KOSO?