High Mileage?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Others have gone to 100K if you take care of it (changing oil, etc).

The Cam chain tensioner and the cam chain is the biggest issue for long life and likely won't last that long. If it hasn't been changed out, pay attention to ANY new engine noises from the right side as thats where they reside.

If thier original, next time you do a valve check (or sooner if you have sone $ to burn), I'd change both out(rear tensioner as well)...

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Most used bikes for sale have under 20,000 miles, even 10-15 year old bikes usually have under 30K. So yes, 57K is high for a motorcycle.

The FZ6 and most well built modern motorcycles can see the same kind of miles as most cars if they are maintained and not driven hard all the time. Most people will upgrade their bikes LONG before the bike is worn out. :thumbup:

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Most used bikes for sale have under 20,000 miles, even 10-15 year old bikes usually have under 30K. So yes, 57K is high for a motorcycle.

The FZ6 and most well built modern motorcycles can see the same kind of miles as most cars if they are maintained and not driven hard all the time. Most people will upgrade their bikes LONG before the bike is worn out. :thumbup:
That's because most bike aren't being used as much as cars. So older bikes will have about 20k miles. Basically bikes can do cars mileage, nevertheless bigger displacement means bigger mileage. Tourers can do 200k and more.
My previous bike FZ6R had 52k when I sold it and had no issues at all. My friend's Vstrom DL650 made 97k. I believe FZ6 can do the same.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have 98k miles on my 06. I can't say it has been error free, as Scott had mentioned, I had issues with the cam chain and tensioner, but I also had the guides replaced.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
keeping up on it will be key, and a little preventitive will go a long way too. i personally work with a guy that has just shy of 200k on one of his goldwings, and as soon as he gets an electrical issue sorted it will be over with no issues. not completly trouble free, but things within reason.

so for an fz i would say it is quite a bit ( more than typically seen on a bike like this) but far from being too many! and my wing with 44k is just broke in!

3dx

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, this is my first post, being lurking for ages and have really learned a lot from this forum,, My Fazer FZ6 is the S2 model and has on the clock 67,213 miles !, it starts first time with no rattles or weird sounds and rides superbly- still very quick and top speed is a shade under 140 mph( on the speedo), Had the bike for just over a year and I'm the 2nd owner :D... previous owner really looked after the bike,receipts show a service every year and I got it with 64,000 miles.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess its all upon chance... (and maintenance of course).

A goldwinger that I ride with just turned over 470,000 miles on his wing (no thats not a typo)

I have 19,600 miles on my fz6 and am starting to hear cam chain noise. I figure its about time for a tensioner and new chain.

Then there's my Gf's GS500F.. Odometer is just shy of 13,000 miles and it spit out a valve shim which made its way between the cam chain and the cam drive gear on the crank.. just go ahead and image what happens after that...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

^^ + 5

A friend of mine was going to buy BMR and he said it was an 2012 with 4600 miles on it. He proceeded to tell me what a great deal it was and how many NEW PARTS its had on it totaling $2600! lol Some of which was a $450 starter and other electrical components!

I told him to RUN as far away as possible!

I'm real close to 20,000 miles of lots of higher RPM riding and other than normal maintenance items, brakes, fluids, tail light bulb - There have been Zero parts failed that required replacement. Granted many mods later, nothing "needed" $2600 worth! :thumbup:

50k is a up there but not a show stopper unless its been on salty roads and not properly maintained. That I would be leary of i.e. if I found corrosion of any aluminum or electrical issues.. .. ..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess its all upon chance... (and maintenance of course).

A goldwinger that I ride with just turned over 470,000 miles on his wing (no thats not a typo)

I have 19,600 miles on my fz6 and am starting to hear cam chain noise. I figure its about time for a tensioner and new chain.

Then there's my Gf's GS500F.. Odometer is just shy of 13,000 miles and it spit out a valve shim which made its way between the cam chain and the cam drive gear on the crank.. just go ahead and image what happens after that...

^^ ouch!

Hows the drive gear look? Hopefully it just split the chain wide open. And what of the top end? Interference engine or no?

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ ouch!

Hows the drive gear look? Hopefully it just split the chain wide open. And what of the top end? Interference engine or no?

It wreaked havock all up and down the engine; took out a tooth on the gear on the crank, wrecked the chain of course, destroyed the lower chain guide (requires splitting the case to replace that one).
As for the top end it is an interference motor.. so it bent the valves (all 4 of them, lol.)
The valve bucket design is so that the shim sits on top of the bucket directly under the cam lobe. so the bucket had a cup design where the shim sits in it. So the cam lobe spun in and out of the cup and ruined the top of the bucket and the cam lobe.
Looks like the whole motor is a loss.