Highest mile sport touring tire

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
I need a new rear tire soon. I know there are countless threads on this, but which tire if any will get me 12k+ miles? thats about what im gonna be putting on a year as of now. I just moved to SOCal and will be using it as a commuter as well as a fun bike. I still want gri for the fun twisties, but mostly looking for a tire that I can replace only once a year or so
Thanks for any help

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Kenny is a freak when it comes to getting ridiculous mileage out of tires. No one can match his numbers!!

I think it's relatively well established that Pilot Road 2CTs will yield high mileage and will provide excellent grip in dry and wet conditions.
12k though? I don't know.. that's gonna be tough.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Shinko raven 009's

I know some people give them grief but I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Ive found that most of the people who say they are garbage have never actually ran a set, and have yet to find anyone who currently has them who dont like them. The best I got out of a rear was ~13,000 and that included about 7 burnouts at the drag strip. They have a hard center but soft edges so you can still throw it around in the corners. I haven't been able to match that milege due to nails but I'm currently on my 3rd rear and 2nd front. For the price they just can't be beat, and honestly I like them better then the diablos and 023's that I've had too.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Shinko raven 009's

I know some people give them grief but I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Ive found that most of the people who say they are garbage have never actually ran a set, and have yet to find anyone who currently has them who dont like them. The best I got out of a rear was ~13,000 and that included about 7 burnouts at the drag strip. They have a hard center but soft edges so you can still throw it around in the corners. I haven't been able to match that milege due to nails but I'm currently on my 3rd rear and 2nd front. For the price they just can't be beat, and honestly I like them better then the diablos and 023's that I've had too.

+1000 on that! I have 2k miles on my first set of these....LOVE them! On the latest NJ ride with Erci, I rode 100+ miles home in the rain and never thought twice about traction.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah they have GREAT wet traction too, with the front having the center grove, and the rear have deep wide grooves even standing water is a none issue.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I got just over 10000 miles on some 023's they still look ok but the rear is starting slip in tight corners.

So this weekend Massachusetts is having a tax free weekend so it's new tire time. I'm thinking another set 023's or PR3"s. It's hard to find good long term tire reviews so think whatever is cheaper will be my next set.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just had my BT023's changed before the group ride with Erci, 12,000+ miles on those both front and rear tires.
I now have Continental ContiMotion as a replacement and liking it. I'm sure it's not as sticky on the road as many other brands but you also loose mileage with those. I'm not an aggressive rider on turns and most of my riding is to and from work (3.3miles) with a little diversion after (20-30miles) of mostly straight roads.
Hoping to rack close to the same mileage as I did with the 023's with this new tires.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 13k miles on my Pilot Road 2's. These are no where near done. They absolutely exceeded my expectations for mileage and performance.

I just bought another set of PR2's. I am intending to put them on before my trip to the Dragon in Sept. But in all honesty if I were a touch more frugal I would let the existing set ride.. there's plenty of tread left

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Have been thru 2 PR2's and currently on a PR3. First PR2 was taken off at 9,000+ because was taking a 1,300 mile trip and didn't want to risk it wearing out - in hindsight would have been no problem. Next PR2 made it 13,000 and was not done but as I commute and ride in the rain did not want to run it too thin. Current PR3 has about 10,000 miles on it and it is starting to show wear - too much time on the interstate! Should get 2 or 3 thousand more out of it. Currently running a PR2 takeoff on the front - picked it up cheap from the Michelin dealer at the track and it will easily outlast the PR3 on the rear.

Have thought about going to different tires like the Angels but PR2's and PR3 have been so good I feel like I'll be at a serious risk of getting a tire that will not be as good as the PR2's and 3's. I ride from 28 to 100+ degrees F and the tires stick great in the wet or dry. Don't ride as aggressively when it's real cold as don't want to go down when it is that cold. Have only spun the PR3 on painted lines and one near Tampa at 70MPH full throttle with way too much water on the road.

Still wonder what it would be like to run a set of Pilot Pures . . .

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, just go find Kenny (VegasRider) and ride pillion. Whatever tire he's got on there should run you around the perimeter of North America......

.......twice.

Lol

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
So it is looking like people really like the shinko Raven 009 and the PR2's. Now the question becomes is it worth the extra 30 to go with a tire I have heard more about(PR2's )?

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had 25,000Km's (well over 12000 miles) out of my previous PR2's, unfortunately my last one got a puncture that couldn't be repaired, so I've replaced it with the PR3's (has a better tread pattern for riding in the rain).
I mainly use my bike for commuting all year round.