History of the Yamaha FZ6 ?

ptmxtwo

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

where can i find an authoritative history of Yamaha's FZ6 motorcycle. I am interested in those bikes designed for and intended for the USA market.

> At some point in time, major changes were made to improve the engine and the chassis of the FZ6. Did those changes come to the US Market?
> Were the FZ6-S2 models available to the USA market?
> What are the S2 updates/upgrades?
> How does one tell if a particular FZ6 has the upgraded engine and chassis improvements that occurred sometime during the 2000-2009, and in what model year were those improvements introduced .

I am not interested in the FZ6R model or the race bikes at this time.
Thank you.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For an authoritative answer you'd need to go to Yamaha, but the Wikipedia article is a pretty good place to answer your questions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_FZ6

I agree with Beetle, though I hesitate to put Wikipedia and "authoritative" so close in the same sentence. The info about the fueling, brakes, instrument cluster, fairing, and swing-arm seems to be accurate.

Since I last looked at the wikipedia page, somebody removed the horsepower ratings. Because the awkward description of the introduction of the 65 HP version (~2007 in Europe - but not in the US) confused so many people, perhaps this edit was a good thing. :D BTW, the rating cited was 98 HP at the crankshaft. Most at-the-wheel dyno numbers I've seen are in the mid-80's range.

The manufacturer, actually most bike manufacturers, seem to be squeamish about posting HP ratings.

Good Luck!

Chris

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Beetle, though I hesitate to put Wikipedia and "authoritative" so close in the same sentence. The info about the fueling, brakes, instrument cluster, fairing, and swing-arm seems to be accurate.

Since I last looked at the wikipedia page, somebody removed the horsepower ratings. Because the awkward description of the introduction of the 65 HP version (~2007 in Europe - but not in the US) confused so many people, perhaps this edit was a good thing. :D BTW, the rating cited was 98 HP at the crankshaft. Most at-the-wheel dyno numbers I've seen are in the mid-80's range.

The manufacturer, actually most bike manufacturers, seem to be squeamish about posting HP ratings.

Good Luck!

Chris

No, just the Japanese manufacturers. BMW, and the Italians have no problem citing HP and torque. :D