Hole in my engine casing

smist

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am a new member and have just picked up my brand new 2008 FZ6 Fazer (ABS) yesterday from the local bike dealer.

I have only put a few miles on it so far (due to nasty weather) and was dutifully cleaning it today when I noticed a strange hole in the engine casing. This hole is on the left hand side of the engine and sits about half way down between the cylinder head and the crank case.

I have absolutely no idea what it is for and I was wondering if it should contain a bung or something (maybe forgotten when the dealer was prepping the bike).

Can anyone tell me what this is for and whether it should be open to the elements?

Cheers!

post a pic. I'm not 100% sure but I believe what you are talking about is a drain for the spark plug wells. it's supposed to be like that.

...This hole is on the left hand side of the engine and sits about half way down between the cylinder head and the crank case...

Look at the attached image, is this what you are referring to? If so, it's a boss used in the machining process from Yamaha. The last 3 Yamahas (2 R1 and the FZ) that I have owned have had the same bosses in the same location, with the same dimensions. I have built an engine stand that mates up to allow dropping the forks without worrying about the bike tipping forward.

if it is the hole in this picture then it is the drain hole for any water that gets into the spark plug wells (Picture of someone else's bike and stolen from another thread).

watermark.php

Hey thanks Reiobard,

You were so quick, you responded while I was trying to upload my picture!

Yep, that's the one. Glad to know there is nothing to worry about - wasn't sure if I should have continued to ride it.

Full marks to this forum :rockon:

The opinions of the members here had a huge impact on my decision to buy an FZ6.

Thank you for such a fast response :D

Back