Horn and brkae light out - blown fuse? Replace with higher?

tedrogers

Reaction score
Visit site
Horn and brake light out - blown fuse? Replace with higher rated fuse safe?

Hi all,

The other day, my ABS light came on for no reason. I stopped, turned the bike off and on again, all seemed ok.

Yesterday I noticed the brake light and horn no longer worked. Guess the electrical blip that upset the ABS was the fuse blowing.

I strongly suspect that it is the fuse that is blown as the Haynes manual says the brakes and horn are on the same fuse circuit.

The standard fuse is a 10A blade fuse.

What I want to know is there any risk of me putting a 15A fuse in there instead?

I have a custom 3 horn assembly which may be drawing more power than the standard single horn.

What are the potential risks of using a 15A fuse instead of a 10A one?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I put a 20A in there and the brakes work but the horn doesn't.

I'm doing this because all my 10A fuses blow as soon as I try the horn.

Is this likely to damage anything?

Yes you must have a short somewhere. It's not good to use higher fuses than what's stock. You have a problem somewhere and will need to hunt it down before there are more problems. I'm not an electrical whiz but I'm pretty sure when it comes to fuses and wiring don't compromise by putting in a higher rated fuse find the problem. Check all the wiring to see if there is a pinch, crack or open wires. Good Luck.

I'm sure one of your wiring harnesses/connectors is melting. Do not put the higher fuse in, or you'll just end up melting more things. Time to start tracing wires..

Yes you must have a short somewhere. It's not good to use higher fuses than what's stock. You have a problem somewhere and will need to hunt it down before there are more problems. I'm not an electrical whiz but I'm pretty sure when it comes to fuses and wiring don't compromise by putting in a higher rated fuse find the problem. Check all the wiring to see if there is a pinch, crack or open wires. Good Luck.

I'm sure one of your wiring harnesses/connectors is melting. Do not put the higher fuse in, or you'll just end up melting more things. Time to start tracing wires..

I agree! this is the second thread running on the same problem. If you knew for sure that there was not a short, then you might temporarily try a higher rated fuse to compensate for the additional temporary load (Additional Horn). Since the horn circuit is being used as at a low duty cycle it should not harm anything but it sound like your problem is not a known so better to err on the side of caution and get this checked out. In my opinion at this time, from the info you've given on 2 separate threads, I would park it and get this diagnosed professionally. If you don't have experience in this area don't touch the bike. Good luck!

Back