Hot hot hot!

What do you do for gear when it gets hot?

• Total voters

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dainese - absolutely brilliant quality.

Have a Dainese leather jacket and pants at home - quality is amazing. You pay for it, but it's worth it.

skyworm

Reaction score
Visit site
Who makes that? And is it supposedly moto gear or what? It looks like it would protect way better than my mesh jacket

There is another one from alpinestars i like a lot.
alpinestarsbionicprotectionjacketront.jpg

All you need with this armor is a tshirt,unless you want to look like robocop.
Another armor i use is knee guards,again from dainese.They are not expensive and with jeans over them you are covered in this area too.And they are cutting the air through the jeans,so my knees are not frozen any more.
122_1006_04_oo+dainese_knee_v_guards+.jpg

Last edited:

412fz6

Decepticon
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted Other, because I have leather I wear when out leisure riding and when I have to commute to work on hot days I have mesh safety gear that I rock, It's not the safest but its better that nothing.

I am Originally from Rochester NY and I don't ever remember it being that hot. but I am In Pittsburgh PA now and we have the same type of weather flux going on here.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
my Joe Rocket jacket has the liner that I remove when its hot :thumbup:
as for the gloves I think mine are vented Icon's
pants, eh, Its not to hard to slip my Joe Rocket pants over a pair of shorts, but if its just a mile or so sometimes I neglect that:spank:
and yes, the helmet with EVERY vent opened :BLAA:

and yes that armor looks SIK:BLAA::BLAA::rockon:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ATGATT. I used to live way out west Queensland, where the temperature would flirt with 115* - 120* farenheit, and STILL wore full leathers.

Go fast or stop in an airconditioned shopping centre or servo.

Sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't.

Nowadays there are more humane options - get good quality cordura gear with vents and Kevlar.

Much cooler but still protected.

My thoughts anyway.

Cheers,
Rick

F

FZ6 Naked!

I'm full gear, always.
Even in blazing weather, it's full gear or drive the cage. I've known too many people with hamburger skin, missing feet, dead, etc. and am a firm believer that if it isn't safe, don't do it. If you can't be safe AND comfortable, don't ride. I spent a lot of time sweating my ass off in the military, so that isn't much of a distraction anymore, but were it to get to that level I'd rather take the car and be safe than die thinking, "but damn am I comfy!"
I know, I live in England now so it's never hot, but I have lived in places with real heat, so I'm not just pulling it out of my arse :thumbup:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My instructor had a simple mantra:
If its too hot to wear the gear, its too hot to ride.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in AZ and even in November we are hitting mid to high 80s. I wear helmet, gloves, jacket without liner and my regular pants khakis/jeans for riding to and from work. If i go for a spirited ride, I'll throw the pants on.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In Perth, summer temps can hit 45'C

Not nice to ride in with gear but I always do.

Imagine if you were a squid, you low-sided, knocked yourself out and were unconscious on the hot bitumen :eek:

ATGATT

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm missing the wasp

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner and it works every time !

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
In Perth, summer temps can hit 45'C

Not nice to ride in with gear but I always do.

Imagine if you were a squid, you low-sided, knocked yourself out and were unconscious on the hot bitumen :eek:

ATGATT

Ten years ago I was lying on the road at afternoon rush hour in 47 C (117 F), with two double compound fractured forearms, a dislocated elbow, a open book fractured pelvis, and a bunch of other nerve, flesh and muscle wounds....

I've never been hotter in my life!

Some dude nearby said "Stay still mate!"...

I said "....I know...."

I was in construction site apparel...long pants and sleeves, a helmet and riggers gloves....and doing 50Kph (31 Mph) at the time of impact.

No amount of leather would of made any difference...apart from how hot I was and how hard it would of been for the paramedics to stabilise me.

But them's the odds...

Last year I had a 180 kph (112 M) get off, and the most ferocious, out of control tumble of my 34 years on a bike.

And If I hadn't been in a one Astars piece race suit, gloves, boots and my beloved Arai Corsar V.....I'd be ground up and dead.

Yo pays yo money..yo takes yo chances. :D

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Short trips I'll wear less when it's that hot, but still no exposed skin. But that's just redlight to redlight or a few miles up the road to the store and back, and it's mostly the convenience of not having to struggle into another layer of pants!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
What I wouldn't do for 95 degrees right now! I haven't ridden the bike in about a month now. :( FN winter.

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
I voted cut down--I go from my textile to mesh jacket. Always boots, gloves, and helmet (of course), and I would usually go with my Draggin Jeans, but haven't been able to find them since my last move, so I've been using just regular jeans. Pulled the trigger on some Joe Rocket armored mesh pants though, so I'm looking forward to trying those out and having real protection on the lower half of my body for once.

In college I rode my rickety old EX250 the 0.75 mile or so from my work to lunch with just gloves/helmet once or twice. The breeze was amazing but I couldn't get the idea out of my head of some mechanical failure on that hunk of junk taking me down.

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Helmet jacket and gloves always. With the cold/heat it just changes what I wear underneath the gear. Really cold-under armor, long sleeve, hoodie then jacket with thermal liner. 50s-60s- Tshirt or long sleeve, hoodie and jacket with thermal liner. 70s - t shirt or long sleeve and riding jacket with liner. Any more than that and it's no liner in the jacket. I have a pair of teknic Kevlar jeans that vent very well. So I usually have under armour pants on underneath unless its pretty warm

Flyinace1

Reaction score
Visit site
I still wear ATGATT when it gets hot down here (even once it gets up into the hundreds) but I have summer gear that allows air to flow pretty well through.
Always a full face helmet (I use a Bell Vortex)
perforated Tourmaster Coaster 2 jacket
Scorpion SG2 gloves (they're perforated too)
Tourmaster Venture Air pants with both liners removed
A pair of combat boots

If I'm staying close to home & off the freeways I won't put on the riding pants but if I'm not wearing the pants then its jeans, never shorts. I won't wear anything but boots when I'm riding because anything less just feels too flimsy & uncomfortable tho I will admit that my feet seem to start burning up before anything else when the sun starts beating down on me. Black leather, sun and an engine just don't help create a cool environment.