How do I get a broken screw out?

Yasso

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the PUIG Racing Screen for my birthday. Went to put it on today and over tightened one of the bolts and it snapped. How do i get the broken piece out so that I can replace it?

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Try removing the part that was secured via the snapped screw and see if there's enough of the screw thread to grip with a pair of pliers?

Or use a cutting disk in a dremel type tool to cut a slot in what's left of the screw, and undo it using a thin flat blade screwdriver.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Could you post a picture?

It would make it easier to give advice ....

Of the top of my head, I'm thinking a pair of flyers (wrap with cloth to awoid scratching) if you can get a grab on it, drill it out with a thin drill ....

But a picture would make the difference!

:needpics:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2349

I agree some more info would help...I did the same thing when putting my Puig on. It was one near the mirror, so I just took the inside panel off and pulled out he rubber grommet, unscrewd the broen piece from the bottom of the grommet and pushed it back into the hole. Worst part was waiting till the next day to get to the dealer for a spare screw. Hope this helps.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
this is what you need ..their pretty cheap and a must have for any toolbox

screw_extrs.jpg

DaveMc

Reaction score
Visit site
Let me preface this by saying I don't own a bike yet. :spank: But I've removed more than my share of bolts that have been in place for 50+ years on old machinery and while I'm not a fan of the EZ-outs (in the pic above), they will get it done if it's all you have.

Now if one snaps, left-hand drill bits are the only thing I use. If you're lucky there is some of the broken bolt sticking up (if not I shoot from the hip) grind it lightly until the top is flat. With a center punch, put a divot in the center of the bolt and then starting smallest to largest, use the left-hand bits to drill the bolt out. The broken bolt is eventually weak enough to come out in pieces.

This is total overkill for what I imagine a freshly-installed windscreen screw is, but maybe it'll add to the thoroughness of the thread and help someone with larger problems...

Good luck

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a bolt sheer when having to remove a busted clutch cover on my Bandit 400 after my wreck. Pliers wouldn't do the job and we didn't have any of the bits pictured. My uncle has a large selection of old sockets. Having found one that was just smaller than the exposed bolt end he tamped in onto it and gradually broke it free by alternately tightening and loosening it as was allowed. I don't think this method is better than those mentioned above. I just wanted to add useful info. :) Good luck!

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you have a very steady hand you could use a small screw driver with a blob of epoxy or other hard setting compound on the end..once dried the sheared screw will simply become an extension of the screwdriver

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
The screen bolts on mine are just plastic. Are yours too? That will make it easier to use something like a screw extractor. Using a dremel to cut a slot only works if you have the whole screw head really. Locking pliers are a VERY useful thing to have in any toolbox and will do the job if you can get them round it. I assume that seeing as the whole end of the bolt came off it's hidden away though and you can't use pliers or locking pliers. See if you can get to the rear of it first and use pliers or locking pliers before a screw extractor. As a desparate last resort, if the surrounding area of the plastic screw is metal (I can't remember off-hand) you could just melt the bugger out with a cheap thin soldering iron end. Just be careful that the area around it doesn't get too hot! :Flash:

Yasso

Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of great ideas here. Hopefully I'll be able to work on it tomorrow. It is all plastic so hopefully it won't be too bad to get out.