How do you get R6 power in a FZ6

I thought a VFR would be faster as it is an 800cc bike correct?

It certainly makes more power than the FZ6 in certain places but faster it's not. I'm just being picky though...I see it as more of a move towards an FJR or ST type than towards an R6 in terms of power delivery, acceleration, and outright sportiness...

VFR Interceptor --

PERFORMANCE
Horsepower: 99.1 @ 10,750 rpm
Torque: 54.2 ft.-lb. @ 8750 rpm
Corrected 1/4-mile*: 11.26 sec. @ 119.50 mph
0-60 mph: 3.37 sec.
0-100 mph: 7.80 sec.
Top-gear roll-on, 60-80 mph: 5.07 sec.
Fuel mileage (low/high/average): 25/45/34

CHASSIS
Frame: aluminum alloy twin spar
Weight: 557 lb. (wet)/522 lb. (fuel tank empty)
Fuel capacity: 5.8 gal.
Front: 43mm cartridge fork adjustable for spring preload
Rear: single shock adjustable

PRICE
MSRP $9999
ENGINE
Type: l-c 90-deg V-four
Valve arrangement: dohc, 16v
Bore x stroke: 72.0mm x 48.0mm
Displacement: 781cc

Great bike though...I may consider one some day.

Thanks for the info. Yeah it was a toss up between getting an FZ6 or a VFR. At the time, being a very novice rider I figured the VFR would be a little "too much bike" for a beginner so I went with the FZ6. I also found the VFR to be a physically larger bike, as well as having a much larger price tag. Some day I will either end up with a VFR or an FJR.

I went riding over the weekend with my roomate who has an '07 R6. He was never able to pull away from me, except maybe he had a little more acceleration in the higher gears, but at that point, how often are we going to hit triple digits. Remember, it's also about the rider. You could put an average rider on a FZ1, and a great rider on a lesser cc bike, and it becomes a lewd point. The skills kicks in, and the average rider on the FZ1 or R1 is left behind.

Remember, it's also about the rider. You could put an average rider on a FZ1, and a great rider on a lesser cc bike, and it becomes a lewd point. The skills kicks in, and the average rider on the FZ1 or R1 is left behind.

This is one of the many things that make track days so much fun!

EDIT - just found this on the motorcyclist mag website

The little Fizzer's powerplant is built around the world-beater R6 mill, retuned here for better power at lower, more street-specific revs. The bore-and-stroke dimensions, combustion-chamber shape, forged pistons, valves, crank and linerless, direct-plated cylinders are all identical to the R6, though it does diverge internally in a few significant areas: reshaped camshafts, reconfigured inlet and exhaust ports, and a slightly lower (down 0.2) compression ratio.

Last edited:
how often are we going to hit triple digits.

Literally every time that bike hits the street and if I lived where you do probably a lot more. I can't speak for your bike or anyone elses but my FZ6 cruises at 90mph and if there is little or no wind the jump above 100 for a long run is very sweet. Amongst other things the one mechanical advantage the R6 has to the FZ6 is gearing. The R6 is geared 15/46 whereas the FZ6 is 16/46. If you ever get the chance try running the 15T front sprocket and you will see what I mean.

It certainly makes more power than the FZ6 in certain places but faster it's not. I'm just being picky though...I see it as more of a move towards an FJR or ST type than towards an R6 in terms of power delivery, acceleration, and outright sportiness...

VFR Interceptor --

PERFORMANCE
Horsepower: 99.1 @ 10,750 rpm
Torque: 54.2 ft.-lb. @ 8750 rpm
Corrected 1/4-mile*: 11.26 sec. @ 119.50 mph
0-60 mph: 3.37 sec.
0-100 mph: 7.80 sec.
Top-gear roll-on, 60-80 mph: 5.07 sec.
Fuel mileage (low/high/average): 25/45/34

CHASSIS
Frame: aluminum alloy twin spar
Weight: 557 lb. (wet)/522 lb. (fuel tank empty)
Fuel capacity: 5.8 gal.
Front: 43mm cartridge fork adjustable for spring preload
Rear: single shock adjustable

PRICE
MSRP $9999
ENGINE
Type: l-c 90-deg V-four
Valve arrangement: dohc, 16v
Bore x stroke: 72.0mm x 48.0mm
Displacement: 781cc

Great bike though...I may consider one some day.

What year were these specs for DI? The 2007 VFR posts 107hp, 470 lbs dry and while we are fumbling around trying to change that rear tire the VFR has a single sided swingarm. If I were in the market I would be looking at the Gixr 750 before the VFR.

+1 on the sprocket change, the best way to get the feel of more power is to trade in some top end speed for lower end acceleration, and the cheapest as well. it would cost a ton to swap all the r6 components into the FZ block but i have been curious if the r6 engine would bolt right in.

If anything ever happens to my FZ engine i am sure i could find a wrecked R6 much easier than another FZ engine kicking around somewhere.

I was thinking more about this one.

Here's what I think one could do an build a pretty cool engine.

1. Exhaust - good for about 2 hp
2. Power Commander - more mid range as the lean can be tuned out, not sure what it will do to the high end, but mid range wins races.
3. Wisco 618cc piston kit. This thing is cool. slight bump in displacement, but the compression ratio is bumped to 13.5:1! Wow! :rockon: The kit is $634, but you will need to add boring and re-plating labor. So probably $950, if you do the tear down and rebuild.
4. Head clean up, not a full on port, but simply clean up the castings

I'm not sure what the total yield would be but I'd guess the engine would gain 8 to 10 hp on the top end, HOWEVER the mid-range would be much, much fatter.

That said, I think the FZ has plenty of power for me at this point of getting back into riding. I am still blown away that a 600cc bike has the performance of my 1100cc bike from 1981. Times they are a changing!

I was thinking more about this one.

Here's what I think one could do an build a pretty cool engine.

1. Exhaust - good for about 2 hp
2. Power Commander - more mid range as the lean can be tuned out, not sure what it will do to the high end, but mid range wins races.
3. Wisco 618cc piston kit. This thing is cool. slight bump in displacement, but the compression ratio is bumped to 13.5:1! Wow! :rockon: The kit is $634, but you will need to add boring and re-plating labor. So probably $950, if you do the tear down and rebuild.
4. Head clean up, not a full on port, but simply clean up the castings

I'm not sure what the total yield would be but I'd guess the engine would gain 8 to 10 hp on the top end, HOWEVER the mid-range would be much, much fatter.

That said, I think the FZ has plenty of power for me at this point of getting back into riding. I am still blown away that a 600cc bike has the performance of my 1100cc bike from 1981. Times they are a changing!

come on Top doooo it! J/K:thumbup: but on the performance point from 81 it comes down to lots of factors not just power, ie; better tires, better chassis, better suspension, and better brakes just to name a few. So to the original poster you can upgrade more than power to make it a "faster" bike and it will feel like a finer edged sword. If you are just racing a R6 and lost just get some nitrous! :rockon:

I would like to get the power of a R6 in my FZ6. I know they are basically the same motor. Does anyone no what the difference is? And no I don't want to buy a R6. I just sold one, to uncomfortable to ride long distances.

Buy R6 gear ratios to name a few things. Yamaha made some changes to the gear ratios to make the power band more consumer friendly. But I believe that's just one of the many things that they did.

For the price of all the upgrades you may just be better off trading in for an
R6.

Me; I'm comfortable with the FZ6. It'll do 0 to please can I have my licence back in 5 seconds, all the way up to the naughty side of 140mph. And thats plenty for me.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the ride.

Want more power...don't buy a 500cc FZ6 then. sheesh.

Wait a minute... I bought a 600cc didn't I? :p

Good points all... I find it hard to believe that anyone can really use this bike to it's fullest potential.

Go get the liter bike and while you can run away in the straights, the FZ6 will wave vye-bye in the twisties. ;)

Wait a minute... I bought a 600cc didn't I? :p

Good points all... I find it hard to believe that anyone can really use this bike to it's fullest potential.

Go get the liter bike and while you can run away in the straights, the FZ6 will wave vye-bye in the twisties. ;)

This as a general rule boils down to the rider more than the bike. An example would be the guy riding a 250 Ninja that just blew through a set of twisties because that bike he is on was running at 110% and the rider new that stretch of asphalt; every pebble of it. He also new exactly what that bike could do.

The FZ6 is not an R6 nor will it perform like an R6 regardless of how hard we try. It will however do some very special things and it can be a real sleeper. Make no mistake about it, the fun factor of the FZ6 is very high.....

come on Top doooo it! J/K:thumbup: but on the performance point from 81 it comes down to lots of factors not just power, ie; better tires, better chassis, better suspension, and better brakes just to name a few. So to the original poster you can upgrade more than power to make it a "faster" bike and it will feel like a finer edged sword. If you are just racing a R6 and lost just get some nitrous! :rockon:

JE has 635cc kit for the R6, 13.1:1, now we are talking!

I would like to get the power of a R6 in my FZ6. I know they are basically the same motor. Does anyone no what the difference is? And no I don't want to buy a R6. I just sold one, to uncomfortable to ride long distances.

I commend him for taking the modification type of attitude. The bike is perfect stock, but who doesn't consider modification? Honestly it is a legitimate idea. Unlikely that he will get much more out of it without major work, so I would suggest leaving it stock, and getting an FZ1. My pops has an 07 fz1 I hopped on, and the difference is night and day, when you are trying to do acceleration extremely fast on the fz6 you are dropping 2 or three gears to get desired rpm to accelerate as quickly as possible, with the fz1 you twist the throttle a little more and let the torque do the work. The fact is that there is no replacement for displacement. If you are an FZ6 enthusiast I hope that you will try to modify it, and I hope you are successful, but there are limitations unless you want to throw a lot of money at a bike that is not meant to be raced around like an R6 (although I am fairly impressed with the uncanny things you can do with an FZ6). Lets face it the FZ6 is a cheap way to have a lot of fun, needs nothing.;)

Back