how do you know it is time to replace your chain?

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

My FZ6 has been making some funny noises, when I ride. It's hard to discribe other than pops and funny vibrations. I noticed last week that my chain was really lose so I tightened it up and put some lube on it till the wheel would spin freely. This morning I heard it making noise again and checked the chain, it was a bit loose, but not as bad as it was last week. I put the wheel up on the stand and tried to spin the wheel, it wasn't spinning that well, and the chain was making noise as well.

Do you think I need to change the chain, chain and sprockets, or is there something else that is the issue here?

If need be I could get video of it to post up.

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
If there are any stiff links in the chain then it is probably time to replace it. Also you can pull the chain straight back at the rear sprocket and see how far it pulls away from the sprocket. If it pulls away hardly any at all it is probably time to replace it. It is always a good idea to replace both sprockets also when you do a chain.

Marc

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sloppy shifting is a good indicator. However, the sprocket pull is the main one.

Hopefully this picture shows up.

images

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You never said how many miles are on it and how well is it cared for?

Also in the manual there is measurement of 15 links so you can go by chain stretch (measure the links), but if it has kinks, stiff links, rollers that don't roll, then you need to replace it and the sprockets. In the manual there is also measurement for elongation of the sprockets so I suggest you do some reading to fulling understand what to look for.

15-link length limit = 239.3 mm (9.42 in)

I will say that keeping it clean and well oiled will make a huge difference in the amount of noise emanating from the transmissions final drive.

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with all of the above. I'll state the obvious though in that if your chain is loose and you have no more adjustment then you best be looking for a new chain.:spank:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 16,600 miles on my bike, I live on a dirt road and ride in all kinds of weather. I don't have a good record of cleaning or regular maintenance on the bike either. :spank:

I bought the bike when it was barely a year old and haven't replaced much. I did give it an oil change about 3000 miles ago and I have tried to be better with keeping the chain lubed.

The chain did pull from the rear sprocket but only slightly, nothing like the image shown. I wasn't able to see the bottom of the sprocket tooth.

I will check the length later.

Thanks for all the responses.

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Remember, if you are checking it with the center stand down and the rear tire off the ground the chain will be wayyyyy looser than when the rear tire is down and the suspension loaded. So you want a little play when the centerstand is down otherwise it'll be super tight when you drop it down to the ground and get on it. My 2 inches of play with the center stand down turned into 1/2 inch when I was sitting on it.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As mentioned, if you clean and lube your chain on a regular basis, it will go a long ways. I got over 30k on my stock chain and sprocket. I have known others who have gotten even more.

I might add that the OEM Chain and Sprocket is very good. I doubt that you will find better replacements, I have tried.

Stay away from aluminum sprockets, you won't get nearly as many miles as the steele. Unless saving 1-2 lbs off your bike is more important.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I got home and lubed up my chain and the noise went away. It does seem to have some sticky links so I will try to give it a good cleaning to see if that helps. I will also try to be better at giving it some lube from time to time. I have been riding more lately then I have before so I need to step up on maintenance.

Thanks again for your help. I have been thinking about getting a +1 on the front and have been reading the threads about it here. I would like to change it up because I have some long rides in mind for the future.

bazza

I'll sleep when I die!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah man, I have done over 40000km and sprockets and are only half worn, chain adjustment is only half way along the adjustment.
mind you I'm pretty picky about cleaning and lubing it all.
I clean the chain every month and ONLY use chain wax no other lube.
so I should get another 20000km at least out of the chain and sprockets.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if this helps for you or not, but the service tech's at the local dealer, when I asked the same question, told me a big thing to look for is if the chain has ANY sort of "wiggle" room horizontally on the sprocket. AKA if you can take the chain and move it left and right more than 1cm on the sprocket then its time to tighten. Usually you can tell, the chain will sag, it might make a sloppier noise.

If its rusted and dirty, you can certainly just tighten, clean, and lube the chain up. If you have ridiculous amount of wiggle room left and right though, or its been upwards of 4 or 5 years, OR you ride consistently through all sorts of weather - then ever few years you may want to consider a new chain and not just a thorough cleaning.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Yesterday i did the chain and sprockets clean. I was overdue :spank: and so got my hands really dirty.

I use plain engine oil on my chain, it's messy but easy and more consistent, once a week and my mind can rest easy.

The chain was dirty, and stiff, which i knew already because of the vibration through the frame, grumbling noise and low power. 2 hours with parafin (kerosene) and a toothbrush and the chain was loose and clean. The sprockets (esp front) are nearly done for, but still acceptable.

The true test was when i started her and oiled the chain, it started with a loud clacking type noise, and you could tell it was pulling against the engine. Bit of oil and the wheel was spinning freely, quite fast too. Coming to work this morning the bike was so smooth, and throttle response sharper, no jerking, and she FELT free-er.

I cannot over-emphasise how important scrubbing the chain is, every 2-3 months.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I talked with a couple of the parts guys where I work about what kind of cleaner to use. They said with the chain you have to be careful about what type of cleaner you use because it has rubber on it and some cleaners can cause problems with it. I know not all chains have rubber in them so you have to know if your chain has it or not.