How many miles do you get out of your brake pads?

Brake pad wear.

• How many miles from your pads

Votes: 27 12.9%
  • > 5000 miles 8000 kms

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • < 7000 miles 11200 kms

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • < 10000 miles 16000 kms

Votes: 31 14.8%
  • > 12000 miles 19300 kms (how many more?)

Votes: 130 62.2%

• Total voters

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys n girls,

I have 8000 miles on my 2006 FZ6, it still has the original pads in situ.
I am about to replace the original front tyre and was thinking about doing the pads at the same time.

How many miles do you get out of your front and rear pads?

Cheers

Nelly

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So far? All of 'em! :D

I'm at about 5250 miles and see little wear to date. I wonder that the average is? For those that did change, are you a city/commuter? Weekend warrior/Canyon carver? Both? I can easily see that the commuter will need brakes sooner than the weekend warrior.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have 12 thousand miles on the original pads they are about half way. I bought pads for it at 8 thousand but when i took them off they still looked good.

I ride everyday. Lack of a car right now makes it pretty much my only option.

Sqrly

Reaction score
Visit site
Got 18,000 miles on my CBR. Factory pads. A fella I ride with has an R1 with 44,000 miles on it and just changed the pads.:eek: Seemed a little chancey to me. But he said they still looked good. I know for a fact he does not use them much. He leaves me on the twisties all the time :banghead:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So far? All of 'em! :D

I'm at about 5250 miles and see little wear to date. I wonder that the average is? For those that did change, are you a city/commuter? Weekend warrior/Canyon carver? Both? I can easily see that the commuter will need brakes sooner than the weekend warrior.
Thanks for the addition, Good call.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have 12 thousand miles on the original pads they are about half way. I bought pads for it at 8 thousand but when i took them off they still looked good.

I ride everyday. Lack of a car right now makes it pretty much my only option.
Hi James,

Long time no hear, hope your well.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got 18,000 miles on my CBR. Factory pads. A fella I ride with has an R1 with 44,000 miles on it and just changed the pads.:eek: Seemed a little chancey to me. But he said they still looked good. I know for a fact he does not use them much. He leaves me on the twisties all the time :banghead:
Thats pretty impressive 44,000 miles.

Nelly

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
How many miles do you get out of your front and read pads?

I'm at 11,000 miles on the FZ6 and brake pads have hardly any wear. On my BMW, which weighed 100 lb more, but otherwise was ridden in similar manner, I got 60,000 miles out of the original front and rear pads.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Neil,

I have 19,000 miles or 30,400 Klicks and I'm still on my original pads, and I'm still happy with how my brakes perform

I classify myself as a commuter, even though I have carved the canyons with the California members a couple of times.

I will say this, I'm hard on my brakes. Even though I use my engine to slow me down, I find myself slamming my brakes all the time whenever I encounter one of those "Should I throttle out and run the yellow/red" or "Slam on my brakes and stop real hard" situations, I opt the later because I think it's good practice. Of course I will only do this knowing that there is nobody behind me. It paid off the other night, because I found myself going about 60mph and the light turned to yellow in the area of that should I or should I not zone, as I slammed on my brakes. Well there was a cop sitting at the light so If I had chosen to throttle through, I would have run a red right in front of him.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Got 12 & half thousand on the clock & mine are still fine. I have adopted a different riding style recently & only use the brakes when absolutely necessary. I'm sure you could wear them out quicker with continuous heavy braking.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I,m on 27,000 commuter mostly k's and pads are still fine,changed front tyre at 22,000 and they were no were near the limit,what are rear pads ,lol

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
:Im With Stupid:

I'm on 27000 kms now, had the front tyre replaced this week. Pads still look fine. I do a lot of engine breaking, saves brake pads. Will be thougher on the transmission, I guess there's no such thing as a free lunch :D

B

bluenova

I'm on 19,000 km and will be changing the original front tire this weekend. I think one of the front pads is getting thin so will prob change the pads at the same time.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm over 12,000 and still on the originals. Ride 2-up quite a bit now too. Haven't physically checked the pads lately though.

W

wrightme43

Removed stock pads (not worn out) around 8k miles, swapped to Galfer after market high friction pads. Now at 233xx no appreciable wear.

cjhudson101

Reaction score
Visit site
Almost 29k miles, still on original pads, can still see the "wear groove" or whatever it's called.

I check them often, just because I keep thinking by now they should be close to worn, but they still work and look great.

--Chris

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have 9k on my brakes. I have a question, how or what pads are out there that are the best or what type. I am new the all this, and there are 2 things i am horrible with and thats BRAKES and ELECTRIC.

gpd211

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 35k miles on my stock pads. The fronts are about 70% left and the rear are about 50%. Do more trail braking in the twisties.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Have around 12k miles on the original pads. Still have plenty of life in them. I have bought some EBC HH pads to replace them when the time comes