How to properly back out of a steep driveway?

wshtb

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I visited a friend who has a very steep driveway. When it comes time for me to leave, I found myself slowly backing out of a steep slope, toward a crowned road. Before backing onto the street, I realized that my foot won't be able to reach the ground when the bike is half-way on the street because both tires will be on higher ground than the mid-section of the bike, and, of course, I'm kinda short. So I dismounted, nearly dropped the bike. Then I let the bike rolled into the low point formed between the drive way and the road. (I used front brake until this point.)

Then the bike stuck there. I spend enormous amount of effort before I can push the bike on to the street.

So what should I do to save myself when I visit this friend again?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know what you mean, I have a fairly steep driveway too, but it's not that long. However, I usually back down, using the front brakes. I make sure that when I get towards the bottom, I have enough speed so that I don't get stuck in that zone where the front and back tire are kind of bridged over the area where you have to put your feet down. Sometimes I stop in the middle of the driveway with the bike at an angle, facing like 10:00, put my right foot down, which is on the uphill side, and then put in in gear and complete the turn and go foward and down the driveway from there.

On another note, make sure when you park in a parking space thats not even, especially if it's kind of sloped downhill, that you back in. Since there is no reverse, it will prevent you from trying to back out the bike with your feet uphill, which is next to impossible.

W

wrightme43

Try this. Before you back out.
Put the bike on the centerstand.
Push a little down on the rear, to bring the front tire out of contact with the road, push the bike in a circle on the centerstand to make it face the way you want to go. Hop on, ride away. I do it all the time.

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
Try this. Before you back out.
Put the bike on the centerstand.
Push a little down on the rear, to bring the front tire out of contact with the road, push the bike in a circle on the centerstand to make it face the way you want to go. Hop on, ride away. I do it all the time.

be careful that trick does not mess up his driveway:thumbup:

W

wrightme43

I dont worry about my driveway so you might not like doing that. Your right. It can leave a mark on concrete.

7 years ago, I did a burnout in my driveway with my old 79 stepside longbed chevy truck. I had a brand new set of Michelin M/S tires that were to be installed the next day.
When I got done the neighbors houses were hidden in tire smoke.
You can still see it.
If you didnt already know, I dont live in gated housing or a area with a home owners association. I think my brain would explode.

crazy_canuck

Reaction score
Visit site
Why not do a two point turn while dismounted from the bike. Next time park on the left side of the driveway with your back tire angled to the middle. then just use the front brake and back it as far around as you can with the bars turned to the right then crank the handle bars to the left and let her swing around slowly. This should work even on a narrow driveway and you should be in complete control as long as you hold onto that front brake.