How to replace Front Fork Seals?

Griff1220

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2006 FZ6 with a minor leak on the front right fork seal. Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a good tutorial? Thanks!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2006 FZ6 with a minor leak on the front right fork seal. Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a good tutorial? Thanks!

You may want to try this first, "Seal mate".

It works most of the time (another member used it ((Cloggy)) and it fixed his fork leak):

Fix Leaking Fork Seals With | SealMate.net

Very easy to use and very cheap.

Note, You DON'T have to remove the rubber/plastic fork guards (that protect the fork itself) but will have to gently pry up the dust seal once that cleaned. All this is done with the bike fully assembled. I've also heard 35mm film trimmed correctly will also work but I can't confirm this..

Last edited:

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
You may want to try this first, "Seal mate".

It works most of the time (another member used it ((Cloggy)) and it fixed his fork leak):

Fix Leaking Fork Seals With | SealMate.net

Very easy to use and very cheap.

Note, You DON'T have to remove the rubber/plastic fork guards (that protect the fork itself) but will have to gently pry up the dust seal once that cleaned. All this is done with the bike fully assembled. I've also heard 35mm film trimmed correctly will also work but I can't confirm this..

I second this. I had a fork leak as well and thought I would give this a try before I replaced the seals. Worked like a charm.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Did my front forks last winter - not too bad just take your time. Had a good seal driver which made a big difference. On the first on I got the sequence wrong and had to pull the seal out and re-install. Did not like that so was extra careful on the second. My bike was an 04 with 39,000 miles and the seals would leak intermittently. If you have a lot of miles I would recommend going the full re-build route. Just followed the manual and looked thru the threads here - not bad at all. Not the easiest thing I've done either though. It also give you the opportunity to change the fork oil to a different weight.

Griff1220

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I mentioned having to replace the seals to my neighbor and he actually gave me a free "Seal Mate" so I will definitely give that a try. I already purchased the new seals (pretty cheap plus I'd like to have them as backup just in case) and might give it a try whenever I have a day completely to myself. Right now I'm caught up in the long unnecessary process of getting my motorcycle license here in California (DMV are a bunch of pricks) but once all that clears out I should have the time to clean up the forks!:thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I mentioned having to replace the seals to my neighbor and he actually gave me a free "Seal Mate" so I will definitely give that a try. I already purchased the new seals (pretty cheap plus I'd like to have them as backup just in case) and might give it a try whenever I have a day completely to myself. Right now I'm caught up in the long unnecessary process of getting my motorcycle license here in California (DMV are a bunch of pricks) but once all that clears out I should have the time to clean up the forks!:thumbup:

Excellent. Shouldn't take 20-30 mintes.

Please post your results too! :thumbup:

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for this post! I ordered the sealmate to try the cheaper and quicker fix. The person I bought the bike from last year had just had the fork seals done at a Yamaha dealership. So, I'm guessing using the sealmate will work.

$300 was exactly the price quoted by the local repair shot that did my valve clearance check to do the forks.

shannim

Reaction score
Visit site
Out of curiosity, how important are the dust seals? I don't have leaky forks, but my dust seals look pretty beat up. The rubber is dry rotted and cracked/split. It looks like you can see a metal ring underneath, which looks a little rusty. I'm assuming they are like that since I park my bike outside year round (under a cover in the winter), and ride in the rain a lot. They don't seem to have caused any issues yet.

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My thought is they help keep debris from reaching the actual seals of the fork, so without the seal more debris will make it to the seal causing faster and higher potential for leaking. Maybe higher chance of moisture making its way into the fork since the dust seal will kinda hold moisture down there. I'm sure some other members who have replaced seals will chime in.

I can only give my personal opinion on what I would do with my bike. Since you describe visible rust, its probably best to replace at least the dust seal. If it were me, and since i'd be doing the work myself I would replace the seals as well while I was there. Found dust seal and oil seal kit at $30 for my 05. My 05, has some weather checking on the dust seals and no leaking seals, but lived in a garage the first 5 years and now is covered (yamaha cover is great and has very little fading after 3 summers of sun exposure) when not ridden.

Assess your situation and how much you rely on the bike versus the risks of not replacing. Can you do the work? I just replaced the fork oil in my bike. It was way past due since the bike has 23k and I think it was about 9 years old now....:spank: I used Maxima 5W as it was locally available. Pictures of the old oil show it was well past due as the new oil is clear (think factory was as well).

Not to get off topic, but given your described situation it would also be wise to check the steering head bearings (search this site) which seems to be a relatively common problem. Pictures of mine when I changed them two years ago. I do ride in the rain sometimes. The upper was ok, but the lower was rusty and pitted. I could not detect the issue without visual inspection.

It seems I am long winded tonight, but I do all my work in the parking lot of an apartment complex. I also have strict on my maintenance routine.