How To "Store" My FZ6 During Winter?

YZ125

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question regarding winter storage. I have found plenty of information about the steps to winterizing a bike and letting it sit for months. However, my bike will be stored where I work and I have the ability to start/ride it when I want to. That being said, my bike will be started and ran throughout the winter months.

My question is: what is the best way to "store" my FZ6 during the winter?

At least once per month, I plan on starting the bike and allowing it to get to operating temperature. I will even take it for a quick ride weather permitting. Since the bike will not be sitting for months, yet won't be used daily, is there anything special I should pay more attention to?

Is fuel stabilizer still a good idea? Keeping the fuel topped off? Should I be using a battery tender?

Does anyone "store" their FZ in a similar way?

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
My personal experience is that these are hardy bikes! Keeping it clean and dry is the key if you're able to turn it over every now and again... Within the 7 years of having owned mine, I've only ever topped up the fuel and then removed the battery over winter.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
The winterizing steps varies from person to person. I just top off the tank with gas and fuel stabilizer, give it a good wash and wax, throw a cover on, and it sits in the corner of my unheated garage. If your battery is healthy, it'll make it through the winter months fine. I verified this last winter (a damned cold one at that!) That is, if you have no extra add-ons or parasitic draws on the battery.

She fired right up the past spring without needing to be charged after sitting dormant for months. And you can see I'm in MN.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Fill it with fuel, put some stabil in it, plug a tender in overnight every couple of weeks and you'll be fine. If you take it out and the roads are wet/salty, it's a good idea to wash that off to prevent corrosion.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As you noted, if you are going to run it, make sure you get the engine oil nice and hot, NOT just the water temp. Condensation needs to get burned off.

Re the fuel. With ethonol (if your using it), put in a stabilizer (I'd use "Seafoam" over Stabil) as fuel goes bad in as quick as a month...

YZ125

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a rare nice day for an Ohio December...around 55 degrees and sunny. I will be riding the FZ today. Once I finish riding, do I top off the fuel tank, put more fuel stabilizer in it, and put it back in storage? I just want to make sure I do things properly so it is all good to go once riding season officially comes around again.

mxhideout

Poser
Reaction score
motocrosshideout.com
I just top my bikes off with 91 non-oxy (not sure if you have that there) and make sure the battery is fully charged. They always start up in the spring without touching them for about 6 months. This includes carb'd and FI street bikes. I'm in MN as well, and last winter was not fun.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a rare nice day for an Ohio December...around 55 degrees and sunny. I will be riding the FZ today. Once I finish riding, do I top off the fuel tank, put more fuel stabilizer in it, and put it back in storage? I just want to make sure I do things properly so it is all good to go once riding season officially comes around again.

Depending on how much fuel you burn, just make sure the stabilized fuel makes in fully into the fuel system, not JUST the tank. But, you should be fine..:thumbup:

You want the tank level as high as possible as any moisture in the void (in the the tank) will want to rust the inside of the exposed area of the inside of the tank.. Just some easy prevention..