How to trip a damn traffic light??????????

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
This may have been posted, but I really didn't feel like reading thru 6 pages...

SC just passed a law that you have to wait a certain time for it to change, and if it doesn't change you can legally turn on red. The time is like 3 minutes or something ridiculously long, but who carries a stopwatch? ;) It has been presented many times, but it finally passed :thumbup:

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This may have been posted, but I really didn't feel like reading thru 6 pages...

SC just passed a law that you have to wait a certain time for it to change, and if it doesn't change you can legally turn on red. The time is like 3 minutes or something ridiculously long, but who carries a stopwatch? ;) It has been presented many times, but it finally passed :thumbup:

Yes I heard about this. Thank you for passing the info along. I believe the time is 2mins also.

F

FZSex

Guys quick question on a problem I am having. How do you trip a traffic light I keep having to run red lights cause my bike nor me can trip the lights. I sit there waiting watching the cycle of the lights over and over. I finally get pissed off and run the light or get in another lane when cars beside me going another direction get a green. The problem mostly occurs when I'm trying to turn left and can't ever get the green arrow. I see the little marks in the road were you see the sensor wires running around and then back to the light post. I have tried several different areas of the lanes to trip them but no luck.:confused:

Our state did something about it several years back :thumbup:

Motorcyclists can run red lights July 1
2003-06-07
The Associated Press

KNOXVILLE -- Beginning July 1, Tennessee motorcyclists can legally run red lights -- if they stop first and ``exercise due care'' -- under a bill signed into law by Gov. Phil Bredesen.

Motorcyclists had complained they were forced to wait excessive periods of time at stop lights because sensors that control the lights did not recognize motorcycles, which are now made mostly of aluminum and fiberglass, not metal.

For Nashville area resident and motorcyclist Steve Lundwall, the law can't begin too soon.

``Sometimes, I put down the kickstand and just wait (at a stoplight),'' said Lundwall, a business analyst in Nashville and state director of Concerned Motorcyclists of Tennessee.

His group helped push the bill through the Legislature.

The new law isn't as popular with the state's law enforcement and transportation community, who say it will be difficult to enforce.

``It almost takes it out of our hands to write a ticket for motorcycles running a red light,'' said Lt. Bob Lyons of Nashville's Traffic Division. ``How do we know if he's been sitting there or not?''

Sgt. Jeff Keeter, a motorcycle officer in Nashville for six years, said he's felt the frustration of being stuck at red lights but thinks the law may cause accidents.

``We'll have motorcycles trying to cross six lanes. ... Working traffic collisions, I don't have much confidence in drivers or riders.

``I can't believe this was even considered.''

The governor signed the bill because ``ultimately, the research did not show an increased safety risk,'' Bredesen spokeswoman Lydia Lenker said.

At least one other state, Minnesota, has passed a similar law, the model for Tennessee's statute, said Wayne Shaub of Brentwood, legislative chairman for Concerned Motorcyclists of Tennessee.

Bill Moore, chief engineer with the Tennessee Department of Transportation, earlier told a Senate committee there could be safety concerns. The Senate passed the bill 28-1 last month.

``We don't want to see anyone injured or killed. We don't have the greatest safety record in Tennessee, and we don't think this would improve it,'' Moore said. ``They're trading convenience for some safety issues.''

In 2000, there were 1,751 accidents involving motorcycles, with 65 fatalities. Fatalities could include pedestrians or motorists involved in the crash, Moore said.

Tennessee Department of Transportation did not take an official position on the bill and has not done in-depth research on it, TDOT Commissioner Gerald Nicely said.

Some senators, concerned the measure would give motorcyclists license to run red lights, added an amendment to tighten the law. It says bikers cannot use the law as a defense to run any red light they want by saying they believed the light was controlled by sensors that did not recognize their motorcycles.

Sen. Bill Clabough, R-Maryville, sponsored the bill.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Fairly sure that if you wait for the light to cycle completely, then it's a stop sign in WI. Just sent this to my local PD friend, so I'll have a more definitive answer for WI anyway. I've had this happen during mid day heavy traffic. Had to literally get off the bike, and ask the person in the car behind me to pull forward to trip the light! This was after patiently waiting two cycles for the car to pull forward. Either stubborn or stupid, either way inconvenient to me.

F

formula154

I have seen something for sell at the Honda shop for that very thing. It is electronic. I don't know if it would work. Straping a 50 lb bar of steel to the bottom of your bike would probably do the trick.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm, can't say I've ever had trouble tripping the lights. The sensor lines here cover a huge area, I just always line the bike up over the far left or far right line... ( I stay away from the middle, gives a stupid cager a bit more room to get around if he's too dumb to stop).

:)