how worried about this should i be?

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar crack on my Ninja 500 a while back and for some reason it made the bike handle just a little worst.

Honestly; take it to a license motorcycle shop that deals with tires and let them take a look and get their expert opinion because really; you only got two wheels holding you up and if one goes out then you're screwed.

Its better to lose some money and replace a tire then to lose a limb or maybe even your life.

Just my 2¢

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Just about Any shop you take it to is going to tell you that it's bad and tell you need a new tire to make a buck. I do my own tires and have done plenty of them, probably way more than a "tire tech" at a shop because the "tire tech" is always the new guy. On something like that I would spray it with soapy water to make sure it's not leaking, and if its not then make sure nothing is lodged inside that made the cut to begin with. As long as its not leaking and there is no debris still in there I would personally keep riding on it, I would keep a eye on it and make sure that nothing is growing or any thing else. 1st sign that its growing it would be coming off though.

Wearyeyed

Reaction score
Visit site
I might even be inclined to trim it a tad if there is a "flapper"...loose material can be a hazard, but that there is a new "valley" now is no different from an integrity perspective than the numerous "valleys" the manufacturer put there.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just about Any shop you take it to is going to tell you that it's bad and tell you need a new tire to make a buck. I do my own tires and have done plenty of them, probably way more than a "tire tech" at a shop because the "tire tech" is always the new guy. On something like that I would spray it with soapy water to make sure it's not leaking, and if its not then make sure nothing is lodged inside that made the cut to begin with. As long as its not leaking and there is no debris still in there I would personally keep riding on it, I would keep a eye on it and make sure that nothing is growing or any thing else. 1st sign that its growing it would be coming off though.
This is what I would do so take it for what it is. I'm of the same school of thought as Chevy. Definitely need to make sure that there is nothing in there. I would also go as far as using some vulcanizing rubber to appose the edges to reduce the likely hood of it becoming larger.
If any doubt exists in your mind have a pro look at it as it is the safest option.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would make sure it's clean and then use some Gel type superglue and hold it closed with a piece of wood till it's set up. Leave it over night to cure and check it on a regular basis.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I would make sure it's clean and then use some Gel type superglue and hold it closed with a piece of wood till it's set up. Leave it over night to cure and check it on a regular basis.

i would use ShoeGoo. no joke, this stuff is practically rubber and ive seen it repair skate shoes and last way longer than the regular sole of the shoe. and skate shoes take some serious abuse. superglue is just a little too brittle, there's no flex in it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
(JMO) To me it depends how/how much you ride: If you ride slowly, close to home, and conservatively I probably would run it.
Me and the way I ride? No way!
I had to replace my original rear tire at only 400 miles because of a large, self-tapping screw, (which has nothing to do with your question - sorry : )

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A different theory; the odds of getting a flat are (whatever) the odds of getting something in the same spot twice are no worse than getting a flat to begin with.