How would you dig out from this?

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, a bit rough aren't you about this? The debt is technically both of theirs and the decisions to buy these things would have been a joint purchase, $8.00 is simply not enough, I made more than that when i was 15 years old, and $8.00 part time is even worse if she is not in school then she needs to be at work at least full time and with full time comes higher pay. There are some situations that would warrant this, but that is when staying home and not working is cheaper than daycare or she is working on a degree to further herself, but those have not been mentioned.

Those are very valid and important factors... I was making $8 an hour in 1988 working as a cashier for a car dealer I was willing to learn and do more and got promoted....being in a position to move up is important as well. Spring is still a few months off.. plenty of time to increase hours until then.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
(my opnion) For your wife's benefit have her look for another job outside of retail even if it pays the same amount. Working in retail in the long term doesn't have any really great advancement opportunities and the few opportunities will likely go to older individuals who have been there longer. Try to find something technical or business related. Hopefully outside of retail in 3-5 years she will be looking at a lot more than maybe an extra $2.00 an hour. (/my opinion)

One job that I did for a while was making glasses for lens crafters. They start you out at minimum wage as you are learning but after you finish different levels of training you get a raise so it is at least structured. I busted my a$$ there for three months and I had alread received three raises for just learning my job. Meanwhile the sales people on the floor were still earning less than me.

Whatever you do don't fight about money. There is no faster way to end a marriage (except that drunken night in vegas with those six girls) than arguing about money.

sanguines

Reaction score
Visit site
(my opnion) For your wife's benefit have her look for another job outside of retail even if it pays the same amount. Working in retail in the long term doesn't have any really great advancement opportunities and the few opportunities will likely go to older individuals who have been there longer. Try to find something technical or business related. Hopefully outside of retail in 3-5 years she will be looking at a lot more than maybe an extra $2.00 an hour. (/my opinion)

One job that I did for a while was making glasses for lens crafters. They start you out at minimum wage as you are learning but after you finish different levels of training you get a raise so it is at least structured. I busted my a$$ there for three months and I had alread received three raises for just learning my job. Meanwhile the sales people on the floor were still earning less than me.

Whatever you do don't fight about money. There is no faster way to end a marriage (except that drunken night in vegas with those six girls) than arguing about money.

Thanks for that. She's going to apply at the bank here on base tomorrow; maybe that will work out for the better. If it doesn't we'll find something, hopefully.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
also, there are companies that don't bother with hourly, My company for example (in NH so it doesn't apply) starts their lowest position that anyone that interviews well can get regardless of experience or education starts a 8:30am - 5:30pm Mon-Friday job at $25,000/year plus bonuses and commissions (it is Corporate IT sales). They also do a full training period where they teach you everything you would need to know, starting with how to turn on a computer and ending with how to successfully configure and competitively sell a complete Data center.

Point is that there are other types of companies out there that would provide more money for a less stressful job than Retail.

but since you are 21 and i assume that she is about the same, both of your working careers are approximately 5-6 years which gives you marketable skills no matter what you have been done in those years, use those skills to make some $ for yourselves.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Thanks for that. She's going to apply at the bank here on base tomorrow; maybe that will work out for the better. If it doesn't we'll find something, hopefully.

Any good restaurants around? I worked as a server and that's decent money. Minimum wage, plus tips (don't report the cash tips and you'll get the $80-120 a night in cash tips alone so no taxes and in your pocket).

fyi: the nicer the restaurant, the bigger the tips.

Also, working in the hotel business is good too, I have friend who was in debt, got a job there, is out of debt and gets free hotel rooms to travel now:eek: decent cash I believe...

just my 2c

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
also, if there are any colleges around you could or she could deliver pizza's, i would make over $100 in tips every night (almost $200 on weekends) just delivering pizza's on a college campus.

I have heard good money can be made delivering in regular towns too, but college towns are insane... and night work (Dinner time) is easy to schedule as a 2nd job for you, her, or both.

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
THE DOCTOR IS IN

Wow! Taking a hit on your Ninja was like hitting on a 17! Sounds like you've busted. Actually, I know somebody who's in the EXACT SAME SITUATION as this. I know somebody who has a debt, new car and expensive bike...each with massive loans and leases.

1) YOU CANNOT SOLVE MONEY PROBLEMS WITH MORE MONEY.
--You guys saying the wife ain't making enough money? You all outta be ashamed of yourselves! Tell me you guys were joking! How much money does the wife need to make? $30.00 an hour? $50.00 an hour? A diamond a day? She might be making $8.00 US and hour, but she sounds like she's got better spending habits than sanguines! She's got a paid off car! AARRRGGHHHH!!! You know how to make me MAD!!

2) YOU'RE ASKING THE WRONG PEOPLE
--Here's what YOU are going to do (you'd better be reading this sanguine). You're going immediately to your wife and asking her what to do. You will do EXACTLY what she says! Obviously, she's got a paid off car and you have a debt! So....why are you asking us? Somebody already has proven the solution to this problem! Perhaps she should leave your ass with your own debt? AARRGH!!

3) HERE'S A SOLUTION (IN CASE YOUR WIFE LEFT YOU ALREADY).
--You seriously CANNOT AFFORD these loans! Get rid of the car and/or the bike! Or how about YOU get a better job? Make more money!! YOU CANNOT AFFORD THESE COSTS!! GET RID OF THEM BEFORE YOU CRASH YOUR CAR!! THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OTHER GUY!! HE CRASHED HIS BRAND NEW CAR, WHICH HE FINANCED AND DROVE HIMSELF INTO MORE DEBT!! HIS GIRLFRIEND LEFT HIM!! THAT'S RIGHT!! You think you've got problems now??? HA! The guy I know was engaged with his girlfriend!! He crashed his brand new Cobalt SS Turbocharged, which he was financing! His girlfriend dumped his ass on the spot! HAH! She was in the car with him when they hit the barricade! Nearly drove off a cliff!! GOING TOO FAST!!!!!!

That was the Iridium Terrorist.

Cobalt ss is supercharged, not turbocharged.

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh and to the original poster hang in there And make cuts where you can. I have heard that debt consolidation actually hurts your credit really bad. I ended up going bk when I was 24 yo. I had all the toys I wanted but not the income. The credit pople will throw money at you because you are young and cant go bk for 7 to 10 years.

I am now 31 and life has gotten better, But it is a very long road especially when you throw kids into it like I did. I had my first at 21, and all the toys leave.

Oh I think elm is kinda focusing on chovunist #$#.

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site