Hungry, Poor, and Inept. Cooking thread for men!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha, well, as the title indicates, I am hoping to pick some brains on options for cheap and easy cooking for men.

What are the rest of you lot making? Don't need detailed ingredients list by the milligram or anything, but if you want to post that go for it that's awesome.

But the problem I've run into is I no longer have a large kitchen as I've rented out my upstairs to give me some flexibility for a while. That means I have a very small kitchen for a while and I hate trying to do anything in it.

This has meant my food budget has spiked of late and it NEEDS to come down.

So, what have we got?

I know I can just google "quick and easy cooking" or something along those lines, but I'm more interested in real world feedback and what people actually like to do and why.

I'll post some of my own ideas later.

:D

Disclaimer: obviously women should post too. Just don't be too judgemental haha. :(

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hutspot is a Dutch easy and cheap meal. It is basically potatoes, large carrots and onions cooked together and then (coarsely) mashed (you can also add any other root vegatable you like). Generally accompanied by a non lean meat (pork chop, diced bacon or something similar), fried in butter and then added to give extra flavour, or as I do, use the meat juices to make a gravy (if you make enough you can easily keep it in the fridge for another couple of times. Here in Holland it is also often eaten with smoked sausage, which is easily warmed up (first make holes with a fork then for about 2 mins in the microwave), or they also have boil in the bag types.
This meal can be made using only 2 rings of a hob.
When i was single I made lots of spagetti bolognese and chilli's, just slightly change the ingredients and herbs and you have a whole different meal :thumbup:

When I had a "lean" month I would buy frozen pigs or Lambs liver (cheap as chips) lightly dust with a mixture of plain flour and your own herb/spice mix, shallow fry and then make an onion gravy to go with it. Serve with potatoes and veg.

Unfortunately my wife's not big on sauces/gravies so I eat much healthier these days :rolleyes:.

As Greg said, what do you have, a hob, a microwave or an oven, as this makes a big difference?

Good luck on your culinary journey Lone;)

Last edited:

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
A slow cooker (crock pot) is a great way to cook with little effort and cheap ingredients. You can make anything from chili to pulled pork, soups and stews, even desserts. Look for a good slow cooker cookbook. I haven't used a slow cooker since yesterday;)

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it has been fairly hot for this summer. One of the quick, easy things that I like to do is make smoothies. I just buy a bag of mixed fruit, through it in the mixer with some kind of milk/almond milk/rice milk and protein powder. Clean up is simple and the drink cools things off.:thumbup:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
alright well the freezer section is your freind first of all !! get hot pockets it dont matter which ones they all taste like crap,but they do make a Poop... :BLAA: then get Ramen noodles the this will cook in fairly hot water,no need to boil em mix those with corn chips,tortilla chips use less water add meats,like tuna and chili in a can wrap the thicker versions in flour tortillas,add cheese and taco sauce,mix and match until you find what you like just make sure and let the noodle concoction sit and get happy before you dig in.... also corndogs are cheap and filling.... oh and a Daily Mens vitamin will help your imune system alot too.... oh yea the noodles will pack the weight on you if you eat to much and give you acid reflux if you eat to much at a time... :BLAA: :thumbup: :thumbup:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it has been fairly hot for this summer. One of the quick, easy things that I like to do is make smoothies. I just buy a bag of mixed fruit, through it in the mixer with some kind of milk/almond milk/rice milk and protein powder. Clean up is simple and the drink cools things off.:thumbup:

I make a lot of those too... a good meal replacement... It has been a very hot summer so far here where I live as well... Most days for the last month or so have been above 30C....

AthensGA37

Reaction score
Visit site
DISCLAIMER: The following is not healthy so don't sue me if you get fat.

So back in my college days..(last year) this girl invited me over for dinner and said she was cooking "Tuna Surprise." I was a little scared at first but, she was hot and i was hungry. Anywho, this is the epitome of college cooking and it shockingly taste REALLY good.

Ingredients:
1 box of velveeta shells and cheese(easy mac will also work)
1 can of cream of mushroom
1 bag of plain lays ruffles
2 cans of tuna (or canned chicken if you prefer)
Various seasonings

Method:
Start by boiling the shells/noodles to al dente(i probably shouldnt use french culinary terminology for this but i like to feel sfancy). Once they are fully cooked add to a large bowl. Mix in cheese sauce, can of cream of mushroom, 2 cans of tuna, and seasonings(i like a pinch of garlic, s&p, lemon pepper, dill).
Once cheese is melted and everything is fully distributed, spread in caserole dish. Take the ruffles chips and mash them up so they're crumbs. Sprinkle the crumbs evenly on top of caserole. If you want to go super southern on it, melt a little butter and drissle on chips (not required). Bake @ 325^F for about 10 mins or until chips are just starting to brown and caserole is heated thoroughly. Then serve! Voila!<--sfancy talk

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess my marquee plate is actually a pan. Pizza pan, that is. I make dough from scratch (dissolve yeast/sugar mixture in 2/3 cup hot water then mix flour in, let rise a good 2-4 hours). I prefer marinara sauce and whatever toppings. Lot of work but I've been doing it forever. Leftover goes in a resealable plastic container ready for oven (not microwave) reheat. :beer:

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
Course #1: Pasta with sausages
- Boil pasta in kettle #1.
- Cut sausages into bitesize pieces and fry in kettle #2.
- Add glass of pasta sauce to kettle #2 and stir, let boil for a few mins.
When finished: Add pasta (kettle #1) to plate. Add mix of sauce/sausages (kettle #2) on top. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese if desired. Bon appetit!

Course #2: Pasta with minced meat
- Fry minced meat in kettle #2.
- Add glass of pasta sauce to kettle #2 and stir, let boil for a few mins.
When finished: Add pasta (kettle #1) to plate. Add mix of meat/sausages (kettle #2) on top. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese if desired. Bon appetit!

Course #3: Pasta with salmon
- Boil pasta in kettle #1 together with some frozen peas.
- Fry boneless salmon (or trout) filet in pan #1.
- Add contents of pan #1 to kettle #1.
- Add cream to kettle #1 and stir gently. You don't want the salmon to disintegrate completely.
When finished: Serve contents of kettle #1 on plate. Bon appetit!

Course #n: Pasta with <anything>
- Fry <anything> in kettle #2.
- Add a suitable sauce to kettle #2.
When finished: Add pasta (kettle #1) to plate. Add <anything> (kettle #2) on top. Sprinkle with whatever feels right at the moment (spices, herbs, whatever). Bon appetit!

I prefer to fry in a kettle, not a pan, when I plan on adding a sauce to the fried stuff later on. Makes for less spill and mess. For pasta, use penne, pennette, rigate, fusilli, farfalle, cannerini, canalini, spaghetti or any other kind of pasta that looks like pasta and tastes like pasta.

Congratulations! You are now a certified pasta chef! :thumbup:

Afterwork for all courses:
1. You'll have to clean your plate and two kettles (or one kettle and one pan) after eating. Takes less than 5 mins to do the dishes alltogether.
2. If you made enough, you should have dinner for two days. Put the remains in an airtight container in the fridge and heat it in a day or two.

Last edited:

stpetemike

Reaction score
Visit site
now that my girlfriend works 2nd shift I have to make dinner myself. The microwave is my friend. Although I do also blend up the occasional smoothie as well.

Uncle Bens instant yellow rice garden vegetable variety - microwave for I minute, add egg, nuke another 20 seconds then stir , nuke a final 20 seconds stir and I add parmesan and mozzarella cheese .

Also baked potatoes take about 5 minutes in the microwave add butter , cheddar and bacons bits .

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I live alone, and I do a lot of stir-fries. I also follow the "chinese food pyramid" most of the time: 3 parts rice or noodles, 2 parts veggies, and 1 part meat or fish. Two large chicken breasts are four meals for me, and just by varying the seasonings I get four completely different meals (and no leftovers).
It takes a bit of time to slice everything up, but I really enjoy that prep time. Here's a sichuan dish I made last weekend:
_DSC0082.jpg

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it has been fairly hot for this summer. One of the quick, easy things that I like to do is make smoothies. I just buy a bag of mixed fruit, through it in the mixer with some kind of milk/almond milk/rice milk and protein powder. Clean up is simple and the drink cools things off

I also add spinach or greek yogurt instead of protien powder....or even some carrots depending on the blend. Killer way to replace an entire meal.

Slower cookers also rock. super easy chicken for some tacos or someting

Chicken + jar of salsa in slower cooker on low for 5-6 hours....then throw them in a tortilla, with cheese tomatoes and a avacado or something.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just eat out everynight like I do. After sometime, you have your regular spots and pretty much have a weekly schedule. Sit at the bar, the bartender will remember you as long as you consistently show up on the samedays, especially with me since I always put my helmet up on the bar. After sometime, as soon as you walk in the door, your drink is on the counter and you don't even have to order since they already know what you usually order. Being from Vegas, I'm accustomed to leaving generous tips, one night the bartender saw me coming and the bar was full, he started rearranging the folks seated at the bar to make room for me.

I don't eat breakfast or lunch so I can splurge for dinner.

For me, here's my routine.

Friday: Spaghetti Factory.
Saturday: Roadhouse Steakhouse
Sunday: Goodwood Barbeque
Monday: Open
Tuesday: Open
Wednesday: Red Robin Gourmet Burgers
Thursday: Local Sportsbar

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just eat out everynight like I do. After sometime, you have your regular spots and pretty much have a weekly schedule. Sit at the bar, the bartender will remember you as long as you consistently show up on the samedays, especially with me since I always put my helmet up on the bar. After sometime, as soon as you walk in the door, your drink is on the counter and you don't even have to order since they already know what you usually order. Being from Vegas, I'm accustomed to leaving generous tips, one night the bartender saw me coming and the bar was full, he started rearranging the folks seated at the bar to make room for me.

Dang Kenny, how is it you don't weigh 300lbs?

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I live alone, and I do a lot of stir-fries. I also follow the "chinese food pyramid" most of the time: 3 parts rice or noodles, 2 parts veggies, and 1 part meat or fish. Two large chicken breasts are four meals for me, and just by varying the seasonings I get four completely different meals (and no leftovers).
It takes a bit of time to slice everything up, but I really enjoy that prep time. Here's a sichuan dish I made last weekend:
_DSC0082.jpg

Man, haven't had a GOOD stir fry in a looooong time. :drool:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried this once and it actually turned out great

Canned Tacos
Can of chicken breast
Can of mexi-corn
Pack of taco or fajita seasoning
Bell pepper or whatever other veggies you want
Rice or beans if you want
Or what ever else you like in your tacos
And of course your tortillas or shells

But start the veggies in a pan with just a little oil to get them cooking, after a few min add the mexi-corn and the seasoning packet. Then add the chicken, it's already cooked so it don't take long at all and after just a few min it begins to look just like the shredded chicken you can get at Mexican restaurants. And that's it, nothing to it other than that and the putting whatever else on the taco that you like. I was a little hesitant about trying it at first just because of the canned chicken, never had it before but I was surprised just how good it was.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

VR, there has GOT to be a better BBQ place in Vegas than Goodwood! :eek: