hunting for butt comfort

macvicar

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking for some info from anyone who has purchased an aftermarket saddle, I am in the market for one (2006) and was looking for some input, I have been told the Corbin was not very comfortable but it has a back support for a passenger and that Yamaha make a gel seat?
cheers
macvicar
:surrender:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking for some info from anyone who has purchased an aftermarket saddle, I am in the market for one (2006) and was looking for some input, I have been told the Corbin was not very comfortable but it has a back support for a passenger and that Yamaha make a gel seat?
cheers
macvicar
:surrender:
How about recoveing it yourself? The overlay of the seat is only secured with staples. I am looking at getting a section of that NASA foam and glueing it to the original foam and then recover using the same overlay.
Sounds simple, we will see lol.

Reaction score
Visit site
How about recoveing it yourself? The overlay of the seat is only secured with staples. I am looking at getting a section of that NASA foam and glueing it to the original foam and then recover using the same overlay.

Let me know how this goes. I have a Tempur-pedic mattress that was ruined by a cat but still has some areas that are undamaged. I was thinking of cutting it up and doing the same thing. I have also considered having some sewn into the seat of some riding pants.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

are you going to hollow out a section of the original seat and insert this or make your seat taller?

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Will there be enough overlap to re-staple it?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Let me know how this goes. I have a Tempur-pedic mattress that was ruined by a cat but still has some areas that are undamaged. I was thinking of cutting it up and doing the same thing. I have also considered having some sewn into the seat of some riding pants.
Mate thats the stuff I was thinking about the tempur foam. I was just going to do an overlay.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the Yamaha comfort (gel) seat and have not found it to be any more comfortable than the stock seat.
The only thing that worries me slightly is that the gel seat is meant to be pretty good. Possibly better than tempur foam. I may start with the overlay on the original seat just to access cofort benifit. I would hate to pul my seat apart to have a negligeble result.

Whirlygirl

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting one of those inexpensive sheepskins ($29) from Ikea and making some of my own - custom fit, and should be able to get 2 or 3 out of one sheepskin!

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah, they helped a lot at first, but flattened out after the first 500 mile day. Plus, on warm days, they make it a bit more.......uncomfortable.......you know.....down there.

I'm going to start saddle shopping sometime around March. Be sure to let us all know what you get and how it works for you.

H

HavBlue

Just a thought here folks. I have had some experience doing upholstery work in the automotive line and I can tell you that soft or cushy isn't always the most comfortable, especially on a long run. The Corbin seat feels like a 2X4 at first and once you get used to it the seat is actually pretty nice. In terms relative to our saddles, we all have different butts and we may also find that our ride positions do very widely. It is because of this one saddle will not likely be suited for all of us. So, when the cover is removed it is a fundamental necessity that we understand what the saddle is lacking in (in our opinion) before we add or subtract the foam and angles therein. If we need more back support we may need to increase the depth of the depression thus increasing the butt stop already in the saddle. For those with back problems it may be necessary to cut the depth of the original foam and add an equal amount of memory foam (that NASA stuff) which will make the seat softer and give it the ability to remember who we are. Recovering the seat isn't hard at all however, knowing what to do to eliminate the perceived problem is another story and one recovering may not do the trick. As always with bikes, it may prove to be a work in progress.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing that worries me slightly is that the gel seat is meant to be pretty good. Possibly better than tempur foam. I may start with the overlay on the original seat just to access cofort benifit. I would hate to pul my seat apart to have a negligeble result.

I found this site today.

http://www.mandp.co.uk/products.aspx?tier1=Seats

Never seen the air one before.