I wrecked and need help!

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
On October 25th 2015 I was riding a familiar road at a normal pace (speed limit 35 I was going 45) when I spotted a patch of gravel on the outside of a gentle left hand bend. I was not going "to fast" for the curve by any means. A brief moment of target fixation and everything went wrong in a hurry.

Instead of making the curve I feared the worst from the gravel and made the wrong choice to ride into the grassy field to slow down. As soon as I tried slowing in the grass the FZ was instantly on its left side, and my left foot. The FZ with her smooth plastics slid like a kid on a wet slip-n-slide in summer. Me, I rolled. With my left foot pinned under the bike, it couldn't roll with me... At some point Tina let my foot go and we came to a stop in our own places. No sooner than I stopped my friend Dave that was riding with me pulled off the road and called my wife. As I lay still I began to asses my injures it was obvious I had an extra "knee". Maybe it was shock but it didn't feel like I thought a broken leg would feel. I call it very uncomfortable, not painful.

A few people that I will forever be thankful for stopped to help. We made a very effective splint from a piece of lumber, a small area rug and a ratchet strap. By now my wife has joined us at the scene. I was less than a mile from the local hospital so I loaded up in the back of our Rav-4 and got delivered to the ER door. This was the beginning of the endless "motorcycles are dangerous" speeches.

While being prepped for X-rays I was complimented on the splint and informed that my boot had likely saved my ankle joint. I ride ATGATT! Out of X-ray with a confirmed broken tibia and fibula. Into OR, wake up in a recovery room looking at before and after X-rays. I now have an 8" steel plate and 13 screws holding my leg together.

I only carried liability insurance on the bike and will have to pay for all the repairs myself. This comes along with bills that are rolling in from the 4 day hospital stay. My health insurance has helped ALOT with this but they are still quite high.

Going naked is the cheapest/best option for me. The parts needed (ebay listings for FZ6N conversion) to get her back on the road add up to about $267.00. At this time and the near future, spending money on anything that is not a necessity is out of the question.

In an effort to get the FZ back together, I'm asking for help.

I know the saying "beggars can't be choosers" but I am leaning towards the stock look of the FZ6N vs the other options out there.

Looks like I'll need...
FZ6N headlight stay
FZ6N headlight
FZ6N headlight trim
"Round" speedo/tach back cover
Mounts for mirrors
Mirrors

Thanks for reading this far, I appreciate any help I can get.
Garrett

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Ugh, that sucks Garrett. Though a broken leg and busted bike parts are awful, it's good to hear that's all it was. At least you've got the winter to heal up and get things right again.

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I'm thankful it's just a broke leg and plastic parts. I feel like road rash would be more painful, and hard parts are more expensive.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your crash and injuries. Medical bills are expensive, that;s why I have AFLAC. It helps out with the out of pocket expenses.

What year is your bike?

Paulie Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Heal up soon dude!, accidents sometimes come from the least expected f*cking thing! I would have taken it onto the grass as well, would have thought she'd stay upright myself.

I have the same model as you man, shame to turn it into a FZN, I guess you can always pop new fairing on when the funds become available!

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!

They sure do. The thing is, if I hadn't fixated on the gravel, I would've been fine.

I've been looking at going naked for some time. Already planning on picking up a used FZ-09 in a few years.

Paulie Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!

They sure do. The thing is, if I hadn't fixated on the gravel, I would've been fine.

I've been looking at going naked for some time. Already planning on picking up a used FZ-09 in a few years.

Kool man! :) I'm go naked every night! ha, know what you mean man, I've been looking at the fz8 as a second bike!

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear, dude! Wish I had some parts you could use, but c'est la vie. Best of luck getting back on your feet, and with your bike's restoration.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear your accident. I wish your leg become well soon.
Your bike will be fine with naked conversion but I have a advice to you, please install crash bars or something else to save your bike if there is any bad thing happens again. Also a small windshield will help to reduce extreme air flow.

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you.

I have the Trex delrin frame sliders. They dug into the soft grass while the bike was sliding.

I like the small fly screens. Gotta get her back together before I can start "accessorizing" though.

kremecheze

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got some plastics laying around from my naked swap..front fairing headlights with his..brackets windscreen etc..let me know if you want em