If you were in the market for a superbike...

Superbike of my choice....

• Yamaha R1

Votes: 46 25.3%
  • Suzuki GSXR-1000

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Kawasaki ZX10-R

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Honda CBR1000RR

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • BMW S1000RR

Votes: 39 21.4%
  • KTM RC8-R

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Ducati 1199 Panigale

Votes: 22 12.1%
  • Aprillia RSV-4

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • Other

Votes: 9 4.9%

• Total voters

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Huh. My Monster 696 ran great for months, ran better than any other bike I've owned, and was the best handling bike I've ever had. Only maintenance I had to do on it was a valve check. 4 bolts to drop the engine completely out of the frame, all done in an hour.

If my wife hadn't complained that it burnt her legs, I'd still be riding it.

So... Yeah. Not sure you know what you're talking about. You honestly sound just like some poser harley d00d talking about jap bikes. "ZOMG, your bike wasn't made in Japan? It must suck!" :rolleyes:

Perhaps but I'm planning on the Tuono V4R in a year or two. I want to get a low mileage used one from some guy that scared the sh!t out of himself.

I've only had Yamaha and talk to everybody about their bikes. Like the guy I met who had a Duc 1199s that needed I think he said close to $2,000 in maintenance to do an oil change, valve check and some balancer thing (maybe it was a flux capacitor, I dunno) he was talking about that I wasn't familiar with. The bike was cool looking, but I've heard enough of those stories about the Duc to be scared off.

Glad your Monster worked out for you. That is a cool looking bike.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the dealer ripped him off. Valve checks on ducs are stupid easy. Good thing too cause they have to be done more often on most models. The 1199 is has a cam instead of mechanical lifters and only needs to be done as often as any jap bike.

And yes, most engine crankshafts have a harmonic balancer on them; however, I've never heard of it being adjustable. Hence I think the shop ripped him off.

Honestly, I do all my own maintenance and my monster didn't require any more than any other bike. I think people have this idea that ducati's are expensive to maintain and so mechanics take advantage of that. But the last time I went to a motorcycle mechanic to get an oil change (cause I didn't have the tools) and after getting quoted over $100 in just labor at three different places, I haven't been back. Kinda think that's why Harleys break so much. People don't want to pay $300 for a oil change and so just don't do the proper maintenance.

And I commuted on my monster so it's not like it was a garage queen. I haven't owned a car since before I bought an FZ6. For reference, because of the mechanical lifters, it needed valves done every 5000 miles, I did it twice in six months. The gaskets are metal reusable gaskets, the shims are available for free from the dealer (ask the mechanics, not the tool at the counter), and it took about an hour the first time including driving to the dealer. The second time I didn't have to replace shims and it took like 20 minutes.

EDIT: Yeah, the oil gets done at the same time too. Seriously, you pull the drain plug with the engine hot. While the oil drains, take the seat off and undo the two bolts at the back of the tank and lift it up. Then remove the airbox, disconnect the fuel line, and pull the plug boots. Move a lift under the engine, and undo the two bolts holding the engine on. Drop the engine to the floor (the swingarm comes along with it) and you have access to the side cover and valve covers. Take them off, check the belt for tension and wear, then rotate the crankshaft so the arrows line up. Then you just stick some feelers in the valve lifters at certain points. If you acutally need to adjust the valve, then undo the one screw holding the shim in and take it to the dealer and exchange it for the right one. Put the covers back on, put the engine back in, and fill it back up with oil. Easy day. Charging 2k for that is theft. One hour labor and oil is the only cost to do that.

Last edited:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure if a FZ1 counts as a superbike but that's what I bought when I was looking.

I voted for the R1 because I've always wanted one. I feel the FZ1 is very close and most likely more comfortable as well. I've been doing a few things to it, adding lights and adding outlets for accessories and I can say I can't see myself parting with it.

I do like the looks of the KTM, as well as some of the other exotics but I'd be worried about breaking something or dropping it. :BLAA:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd probably buy an R1 over any on that list but I've always had a soft spot for the Repsol paint scheme CBR1000RR :thumbup:

cats.jpg

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love v-engines, so the Duc or Ape. Looking at the photo of the KTM I presume it has some kind of V in it as well, so that might work, too. I just can't believe the horsepower they got out of a v-twin on the ducati!

Honestly, given the cash, I would buy a VTR 1000. Then I would phone up Thorstein Durbahn and get that thing done up custom in race parts. IMO that monocoque carbon tail / seat / rear subframe is just too trick. Imagine a Super Hawk weighing even less than it already does.

If I went inline 4, a 'Busa or Black Bird. But those aren't really race bikes, so I'd prob do one of those up as a sport tourer. Thread hijack complete, I suppose!

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
For those of you that love the RC8, keep your eye on Apache Motorcycle in Scottsdale. They have 2 of them in stock. KTM requires them to be purchased but they never sell here and the dealer sells a lot of their dirt bikes so they buy them to keep their contract. The last time they had some in stock they sat for almost 2 years and then got liquidated at like 8 or 9 grand. The mechanics in the shop all say they would never buy a KTM because they seem so many problems from them.

No doubt the bike is super sexy

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Votes r1 the googly eyes are sweet haha.

No excuse for not changing your own oil, you need like one wrench lol. Well unless you have fairings anyways. Then an Allen or Torx set.

To add to that, I've changed the Fzs oil with it on its kickstand.

Last edited:
D

Dave.TX

Probably the closest bikes to a true race bike would be the BMW S1000RR HP4 and Aprilia RSV-4 Factory APRC. I would probably go Aprilia. For Japanese, I'm not that versed in superbikes, would probably be the Kawasaki ZX-10R.

My back and legs wouldn't be able to handle more than about 20 minutes on one anyway.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not really up on the liter+ scene as I feel like anything over a 600 is a waste (unless you, as a rider, weigh alot).

Bring on the fiyah!

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Considering how much @$$ the 2015 R1 and R1M are kicking, I would definitely go for the R1. Even the R1 by itself has been putting up a great showing against the competitors. The S1000RR used to be my dream bike, but I think the 2015 R1 is a better bike for this model year. The suspension, brakes, and chassis are killer for this year, and the revamped motor makes almost 190 at the rear wheel. What a beast of a bike.

That said, what I would really like is a 2008 Ducati Desmosedici RR... For the sound and the raw power that bike has, I don't think you could find a much better road-legal bike (maybe R1M now that I think about it).

Edit: I completely forgot to mention the best part about the 2015 R1... It's so much cheaper than the competition! You are getting a completely crazy amount of bike for the money!

Last edited:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure why, but I'd really like to try riding a Suzuki over anything else there...

Realistically, I could see an upgrade to an FZ1 being a possibility in the future when I've got some actual money. I like the everything about the FZ6 as it stands, and if I wanted more power the FZ1 seems like the logical choice to me.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Really tough question. People get bikes for different reasons.. to use on track, to use on street, to turn heads.. etc.
It's also hard to pick something without knowing how it rides, so I'll pick from the list of ones I've ridden:

Ducati 848, R6, R1 (2014), GSXR600, GSXR1000, ZX6R, ZX10R, BMW S1000RR.

Out of the above, I would pick GSXR1000. It's the only one I could ride on the street in relative comfort. I've not ridden one on track, but I'm sure it would work well there too. Smooth engine / trans and plenty of power. Just a really nice bike.. if not a head turner.

Oh and for those mentioning the move from FZ6 to FZ1.. it's a great way to go! I did this over 3 years ago. Still happy with my move.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
RSV4......closest thing ever to a racebike for the road, best traction control package, etc, and dead sexy!

:rockon:

The Yamaha R1M by Valentino Rossi is closer to a GP bike than the RSV4 in my opinion. I rode one. It is awesome! My friend is thinking of selling his. I would buy it in a heartbeat if the hubby would let me :cheer:
2015-10-31 14.24.56.jpg
#22 out of 500 in the world!