Ignition switch

Yammi Dodger

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks,

got a problem with my ignition when i put the key in, sometimes it takes a while to get the key to turn in the barrel. But after using a some force it does turn on, tried some W.D 40 but not having much luck as of yet. Just wondering if anyone else as had this problem and if so how did you get it sorted.

cheers phil. thumbup:

I think its a design problem .
My 04 was terrible (I could hardly get it started),my 08 seems much better but not perfect.
Ive found WD40 and patience seems to be the only cure.

When you put WD40 it doesn't immediately help. You have to force the key to turn until it becomes smooth (usually at least 20times in each direction). once in a while wipe the key and the black substance / dirt that your key and the wd40 collected.

I get to do that every 3 to 6 months and my 2005 FZ6 is always easy to turn on.

No,No,No..........that might make it worse,graphite powder is the best and safest option IMHO.

Your right about the dry lubricant but I think the WD-40 will help emulsify the gummed up gunk. Then you can lube it with a dry lubricant.

Liquid lubes tend to attract more dust I would have thought.
I,m just against wet lubes in locks.

I totally agree, the wet lubes will attract dust and you need to keep those tiny tumblers and springs from gumming up. But for now I think he probably needs to first get it "ungummified"

Also check the key itself! I had the same issue and my problem was that the seat lock was tight and I twisted the key in it as I had to force it (until I used WD-40 in the lock). I had to bend the key straight with some pliers and it worked fine in both locks after that.

Back