Installing a Steelmate Motorcycle Alarm Today

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
After some research I decided on a Steelmate Motorcycle Alarm. It cost $58 and a search on Netrider shows that a bunch of guys did a group buy a few years back and got considerable savings.

They also reviewed the alarm and it appears to suit my needs and keeps me out of the $300 bracket. (still not sure about buying an FZ8 or FZ1 or Triumph ST1050, maybe next year)

Ok, the Netrider forum has an excellent instruction guide and I am not sure about wiring the flashing indicators, what I really want is the siren and led flasher. I am thinking about puting the flasher on the seat lock with cable ties as we already have our immobiliser flasher on the dash.

I am also leaving the immobilser off the alarm.

Will post a few pics later. I really just want the alarm as a deterrent, and at $58, this will do fine.

Purchased from Jcar. I note similar devices are available from ebay at $20 however my advice is stick to Jcar. They give a 12 month warranty and they are Aussies. You could definitely organise a group buy here.

Rumps

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a lot of alarm for under $300, cant wait to see how it all comes together with the install, etc...i need a good, cheap alarm for my touring mule...Which may also become a Triumph Sprint GT! $16000 new, with panniers included...

:cheer:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a lot of alarm for under $300, cant wait to see how it all comes together with the install, etc...i need a good, cheap alarm for my touring mule...Which may also become a Triumph Sprint GT! $16000 new, with panniers included...

Buy it.... buy it.... buy it.....

:D

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
sorry about those big pics, have sorted the new phonecam out I believe.
This is how I did it and it didn't take 20 minutes like the 2005 netrider article suggested.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This photo is taken during installation before the tidy up

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
ok, in my install I didn't hook the alarm up to the rear indicators although I am sure you guys could, the wires are there along with other wires so the alarm goes off if the bike is started and moved (unlikely with our immobiliser).

I have used one of the tool holders to hold the alarm unit and it fits perfect. It also allows the wires to reach the battery (just), a crimp connector and grommets from an auto electrician enabled me to connect to the battery terminals and it looks neat.

The alarm siren I cable tied to the main unit and it sits on top! I cable tied the wires and black taped everything and tidied the underseat area as best I could, all I lost is one tool roll!

The blinking led I cable tied to the seat lock. As I always get off on the left side and park against walls with the left side exposed, this suits my purpose.

So, how does it work??? You ask?

brilliant. the hand held lock unit works a treat. has a silent mode, distress and is very loud, 120db

I havn't bothered adjusting the sensitivity switch as I know alarms that go off in thunder storms and don't want this.

If it is on the centrestand armed, and you rock the back wheel down gently, it chirps 6 times then rearms itself. If you take it off the centrestand - pandemonium.

JCAR has them. my vote 5 stars.

now I know it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a $300 alarm but shoulkd some geek at uni touch my bike, it will chirp and they will cack themselves.

Rumps

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool, might look at one of these myself. I think we have a JCar here somewhere (ours is spelt Jaycar though???).

Nice job Rumpole. Hopefully the "deterrent" is enough and people leave your "baby" alone.

:rockon:

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
oh by the way, if anyone wants me to post the installation instructions from netrider let me know. there are discounts for group buys on this eg,
buy four units = $48 each.

Motorcycle Alarm - Jaycar Electronics

right now my little Fazer is in the garage unlocked with the alarm on.
Yeah baby!

only issue I have is the handheld unit is now with my bike key and I wonder how waterproof it is. The box says waterproof but we will see.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool, might look at one of these myself. I think we have a JCar here somewhere (ours is spelt Jaycar though???).

Nice job Rumpole. Hopefully the "deterrent" is enough and people leave your "baby" alone.

:rockon:

Closest one to you is on South Road just South of Daws road. We've got 3 now:eek::cheer::thumbup:

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
oh by the way, if anyone wants me to post the installation instructions from netrider let me know. there are discounts for group buys on this eg,
buy four units = $48 each.

Motorcycle Alarm - Jaycar Electronics

right now my little Fazer is in the garage unlocked with the alarm on.
Yeah baby!

only issue I have is the handheld unit is now with my bike key and I wonder how waterproof it is. The box says waterproof but we will see.

I would love to see some installation instructions. I was one of the group of people who got a steelmate alarm a few months back, and I was able to get the alarm portion of the system to work properly. However, I didn't end up connecting the immobilizer so it would remote start the engine and disable the starter when the bike is armed/going off.

Do the Austrailian bikes come with immobilzers? If so, the install may be different since American bikes don't have them, but oh well, I'd still like to see if you don't mind.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Buy it from Sydney and I'll deliver / run it in for you :thumbup:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Buy it from Sydney and I'll deliver / run it in for you :thumbup:

Nah buy it in Brissy & i'll deliver it run in & 1000k service & 2000k chain adjustment all done :Flip: :BLAA: I need 3 days so i can even test out the panniers with all my gear :rof:

Sorry for the :hijack: Rumps but you know , its the Aussie way :D

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
ok In Australia, our bike has an immobiliser fitted however the Jaycar alarm has an abundance of wires that are for all sorts of functions we don't need down here.
A bunch of guys got together and bought a heap of alarms and installed them.
here is a link to their forum and the info I gleaned from it to install my alarm.

Jaycar motorcycle alarm kit - Page 9 - Netrider Forums

these guys know what they are doing and I followed their instructions except I put the black wire with the connector to the frame as an earth (see pic)

sorry to Hijack the thread and send it to another forum but WTF! here I am giving advice and I am not on my normal hourly rate, I say!!!!:eek:

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are those instructions I followed:

Ok, just a quick writeup after installing the alarm on my bike (Yammy FZR 2fiddy).

Overall, the alarm is a very VERY simple one... as i was expecting.
POSITIVES
-CHEAP!
-Better than nothing...
-Did i mention cheap?

NEGATIVE
-No backup battery for the siren
-Very VERY easy to disarm / get around; (trust me, i tested how long it took me to disarm it WITH fairings on. About 25 seconds.)
-Coloured wiring for me is a no-no, might replace all wires with black at a later date.
-Shock sensor is a little quirky.

INSTALLATION
The manual that comes in the box is bloody useless. It doesn't even have pinouts for the last 2 active (1 not used) wires. For everyones reference... Takagawa has posted THIS link. Please download it and print it out if your doing this yourself.

---------------------------------------
Right, to start off with take the fairings off and unbolt your fuel tank. Try and find a nice small place to mount the main box (about 2 cigarette packs worth of space is more than enough); but don't stick it in yet.

Now get that wiring loom out of the box and start wiring. Ideally you should hide/disguise as much wiring as possible; so find the stock looms and then black electrical tape the extra wires along the existing looms.

Tape the socket of the main wiring loom to roughly where your planning on mounting the main unit. This will mean you can route all the wires where you need to and it won't be a spaghetti mess.

Run the 2 yellow wires to the closest (usually and in my case; rear) indicators. Then trace the cables back up about 15cm and you should find where you can detach them. Get one of the yellow wires and connect it into that socket. I opened up the crimped plug and then recrimped it with pliers. Reconnect the plug & socket and make sure theres a firm connection again. Do the same for the other side keeping the wiring as neat and hidden as possible.

Next up is the orange wire. You need to find something that gets 12v when the bike gets switched on. Ideally you'd go for the main ignition barrel but i was trying my hardest to stay away from it. I connected it up to the globe that illuminates my number plate at the back of the bike. You can also connect it to the brake light bulb (as long as you can't switch off the brake lights), or as i said, anything that gets 12v when the bike is switched on. This wire will trigger the alarm if the bike is switched on when its not disarmed (ie. if someone breaks your steering lock and starts it up).

The grey and pink wires are the Ignition wires (ie. immobiliser) and at this point in time i didn't connect them. I've lost my multimeter so i'll buy one during the week and wire them up properly next weekend. Anyway, to install this you need to figure out which wire is the one running to the starter switch (assuming not kickstart ) and snip it. You then connect the starter switch end to the grey wire, and the ignition barrel end to the pink wire. The alarm simply acts as a relay to close the starter switch circuit when you cut the wire.

Might as well connect the main unit now but don't stick it in place still.
Now for the power. The black wire with the O-ring mount and the black bare wire both get connected to the NEGATIVE terminal on the battery. The red wire goes directly to the POSITIVE terminal on the battery (although you can wire it to the ignition barrel).

Right, now for the LED & the screamer (siren).
Both just need to be plugged in and they'll work. At the moment i haven't installed the LED as i need to extend the wires... the length they give you implies your going to mount it somewhere at the front of the bike. I wanted mine out of the way and a b!tch to get to. For final installation try and have the LED flashing very clearly somewhere near either the instrument cluster or the ignition barrel.

The siren needs to be mounted somewhere bloody hard to get to and the wiring needs to be VERY hidden. As this is a simple alarm, if the siren is disconnected then thats it (other than the immobiliser). I mounted mine in a very tight spot 'somewhere' towards the front of the bike that is impossible to get to without removing the fuel tank and a front fairing. I suggest you do likewise. Next stealth the wires as best you possibly can; and if possible make the connection where existing connections are on the bike. Make the wiring stand out as little as possible.

Right, now all the wiring is done, stick the alarm unit in place and stick the siren into its final location. I'd recommend then getting a roll of black electrical tape / black (or silver) duct tape and going over the main unit to make sure it's firmly in place. Also tape up any loose wires to make sure its all stealthed and neat.

Now to test it all out.
1. Arm the alarm by pressing the big lock button at the top of the bike and check that all blinkers flash and that the alarm chirps once. The bike is now armed.
2. Get the key to your bike, put it in the ignition, block your ears.. and turn the key. The siren WILL sound (if you connected the orange wire), and the lights will flash once a second.
3. Quickly (else not to annoy the neighbours) disarm the alarm by pressing the middle 'unlock button'.
4. Re-arm the bike with the big lock button, wait 4 seconds for it to arm... then sit on your bike. Don't be dismayed if it doesnt go off the second you sit on it... you might just need to crank up the sensitivity. For me, if i carefully sit on the bike it won't go off, but it'll definitely go off it i sit it back on its side stand! If/when it goes off, disarm it again.
5. Arm it again and start knocking on your bike... start at the fuel tank... check the boot... check everything people might want to play with. Disarm as necessary.

When the alarm is triggered, if the knock sensor is triggered lightly (the first time) it will chirp 4 times and make the lights flash. If it is triggered again in the next 30 seconds it will set off the alarm properly. It will wail for about 30 sec or so then stop and rearm itself.

If anything doesn't go as i have said... check your wiring... and check it again. Failing that, its time to get tricky with a multimeter.

Cheers & a big thanks must go to Takagawa for organising the group buy and for the definitely bargain price. I must also say 'im sorry' to my neighbours for pissing them off whilst 'testing' the alarm.

I'll also be doing the install on Tenoq's GPX probably sometime within the next week or so... so i'll update with any info on that install aswell.
I didn't end up taking any photo's firstly cos my hands were greasy & dirty and i didnt want to play with my phone / camera.. and secondly, they won't really help you! You just need to pay attention to where the various coloured wires go and it's easy enough.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice thread...great job Mr Rumpole...

Apart from a few Aussie highjacking's...as per usual, i think this thread may help to sell a few alarms!

nice one!

Thread given a 5 star rating, and stickied for easy access people...

:thumbup:

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Thought I might follow up my installation with some comments on the alarm now it has been on the bike a while.
100% stoked.
So are my friends who can't believe I put it on!

Rarely use the steering lock now.
The device is quite sensitive in the factory setting and I havn't needed to adjust it.
The location (of the alarm) to is good and seems to be doing ok.
The flashing light is unreal where I have located it and adds to the immobiliser light on the instrument cluster.

I just love the fact I can press a button in my house to disarm it and hear 2 loud beep beeps from my shed. And another beep when I rearm it.
My neighbours notice it too.

Finally, I accidently put a book on the seat at uni one day when I was getting ready to go home. Forgot to disarm the alarm and it went off for 15 seconds while I turned red and located the fob to disarm it. People nearby were covering their ears.

all in all, a great mod.
I am rapt.
Rumps

costacarvalho

Reaction score
Visit site
Need help to instal a Steelmate Alarm

Hi everyone.. i'm new here and i need help to instal a steelmate 986e alarm. i have a 98' xj 600. my problem is, the blue wire ( the start engine wire) that comes from the alarm ecu only has power when i press the remote start button.. enouht time to start the bike. my question is, when we press the start button on the motorcycle we are giving power the the starter relay or we are grounding the relay? please i need heelp to instal this alarm

i now my english sucks.. i apologize... but i'm desperate..

i was able to connect the orange wire in the fuse box to the wire that comes from the ignition barrel. but, with acc off, i press the first time the remote start button in the remote, the blinkers light on, i press second time, the start engine don't run.. because i wasn't able to connect the blue wire, but the neutral light lights up and seems like if the acc was on. i press the starter switch in the right side of handlebar, the start engine runs but the engine doesn't fire up. but if i switch acc on, on the ignition key, and press the starter switch again the engine fires up.. so whats the problem?

Last edited:

Rumpole

Reaction score
Visit site
picture.php

Bike has done 63,000 k now and that alarm is still going strong. It isn't hooked up to the starter as the immobiliser does all that
Use it for what it is a great cheap siren

Happy new years