iPhone GPS

TSi Fly

Reaction score
Visit site
After using my Zumo 550 GPS for about 18 months I found that more and more I was interacting with it by touching the screen rather than concentrating on the road.:spank: This, along with not being able to update its firmware to include lane assist made me decide to sell it and use my iphone with Tomtom loaded on it as it was impossible to operate the phone with a gloved hand.
I installed a charging socket onto the FZ and then mounted a So Easy Rider V4 on a ram mount direct to the bar mounts, I started up Tomtom entered my destination plugged it in and slid it into the So Easy Rider and set off up the Motorway.
1st intersection the lane assist kicked in beautifully and on we headed with smug expression on face, Then 10mins later some inconsiderate decided to send me a text....... There it was on screen obliterating my route guidance, and I couldn't rid myself of it until it was safe to stop, remove glove etc etc.
Once home I scoured the internet and found these http://glovetips.com
Seemed like they might do the trick so paid and received them a week later.
you get 3 in a packet with a fitting kit so I installed one on the left index finger of my summer, mid season and winter gloves.
I have to say they work a treat, it is accurate enough to clear a message off the screen with one touch while riding but not enough to be tempted into doing anything more foolhardy. It even works through the clear plastic screen of the So Easy Rider,
Brilliant !

Kit moto So Easy Rider V3
http://glovetips.com

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
So many toys:cheer::cheer::cheer:
Which one to use
If we all started using them we'll forget how to use a map and it will be just like calculators
I'll walk to the other side of the house not to have to add something up:confused:
The more smart toys we have the dumber we get or is it lazy:thumbup:

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So many toys:cheer::cheer::cheer:
Which one to use
If we all started using them we'll forget how to use a map and it will be just like calculators
I'll walk to the other side of the house not to have to add something up:confused:
The more smart toys we have the dumber we get or is it lazy:thumbup:

I believe the technology allows us to get rid of the mundane and do things that are far more important, interesting and fun.

GPS on your phone is an amazing thing, geo-tagging photos, sat nav, tracking, safety camera alerts :Flash: etc...

:hijack: sorry

Today I loaded a BASIC interpreter on my Android phone, how cool/sad is that. :rof:

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe the technology allows us to get rid of the mundane and do things that are far more important, interesting and fun.

GPS on your phone is an amazing thing, geo-tagging photos, sat nav, tracking, safety camera alerts :Flash: etc...

Today I loaded a BASIC interpreter on my Android phone, how cool/sad is that. :rof:

NO NO YOUR WRONG:(

We must all go back to horse and buggy
but then we'd be lazy and just need to start walking

On second thought technology is GOOD

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After using my Zumo 550 GPS for about 18 months I found that more and more I was interacting with it by touching the screen rather than concentrating on the road.:spank: This, along with not being able to update its firmware to include lane assist made me decide to sell it and use my iphone with Tomtom loaded on it as it was impossible to operate the phone with a gloved hand.
I installed a charging socket onto the FZ and then mounted a So Easy Rider V4 on a ram mount direct to the bar mounts, I started up Tomtom entered my destination plugged it in and slid it into the So Easy Rider and set off up the Motorway.
1st intersection the lane assist kicked in beautifully and on we headed with smug expression on face, Then 10mins later some inconsiderate decided to send me a text....... There it was on screen obliterating my route guidance, and I couldn't rid myself of it until it was safe to stop, remove glove etc etc.
Once home I scoured the internet and found these Home
Seemed like they might do the trick so paid and received them a week later.
you get 3 in a packet with a fitting kit so I installed one on the left index finger of my summer, mid season and winter gloves.
I have to say they work a treat, it is accurate enough to clear a message off the screen with one touch while riding but not enough to be tempted into doing anything more foolhardy. It even works through the clear plastic screen of the So Easy Rider,
Brilliant !

Kit moto So Easy Rider V3
Home
My Nokia E72 and 5800 have an offline / flight mode. It still allows sat nav functionality.
Can you switch the I-phone into offline / flight mode and still use sat nav. That way you won't get text and calls.

Nelly

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't feel like paying for TomTom on my phone, when I have (or had) a couple stand-alone GPS units.

iPhone airplane mode shuts off the cell signal (voice and data), gps, wifi, and bluetooth -- but it is possible to turn back on wifi and bluetooth when in airplane mode.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

You might want to consider that Geotagging allows an interested party to back track your habits, ID your home, your route to work, etc..... If you post a pic to the web, the code to figure all of that out is built into the image. GPS on a phone is in theory a good idea, as long as you don't mind telling everyone where you are all the time.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
the iphone message display is a massive ui disaster, not only does it cause problems for other apps (eg tomtom), but it also has privacy issues if somebody sends you a text that you don't want the world to read over your shoulder

i'm surprised it stays on your screen for so long though :S

(i'm an android user and have never owned an iphone)
((i am a software engineer for mobile and embedded devices though))

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
the iphone message display is a massive ui disaster, not only does it cause problems for other apps (eg tomtom), but it also has privacy issues if somebody sends you a text that you don't want the world to read over your shoulder

i'm surprised it stays on your screen for so long though :S

(i'm an android user and have never owned an iphone)
((i am a software engineer for mobile and embedded devices though))

Never have truer words been spoken!

The notification system on the iPhone is the MOST griped-about feature (or lack thereof). It's not as much of an issue for me, since mine is jailbroken and I have much better notification procedures installed, but it shouldn't take jailbreaking the phone to do this.

I can tell you from reading MacRumors that this is the one thing people want overhauled on the iPhone 5 (or 4G or whatever name they come up with for it!) more than anything else.

/threadjack

Now, on the original topic...lol...I still use my trusty Garmin Nuvi 200 on the bike in combination with a RAM mount. I've seen the toll the vibrations from the bike have taken on the Garmin and I'm not entirely certain my iPhone could survive it. At least, I don't want to take that chance!

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
To put a 12v socket in, what amperage did you use for your inline fuse?

I used a 5amp fuse on the +ve wire and linked it direct to the battery, I plugged it on and it seems to have fried my iphone :(

I feel like an idiot for plugging the phone in before checking with something cheaper equipment, but you live and learn.

I don't really know where to go from here, I was thinking maybe a 1amp fuse when I get my replacement iphone. I'm glad I have apple care =D. But the whole situation has put me off the idea a little!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
To put a 12v socket in, what amperage did you use for your inline fuse?

I used a 5amp fuse on the +ve wire and linked it direct to the battery, I plugged it on and it seems to have fried my iphone :(

I feel like an idiot for plugging the phone in before checking with something cheaper equipment, but you live and learn.

I don't really know where to go from here, I was thinking maybe a 1amp fuse when I get my replacement iphone. I'm glad I have apple care =D. But the whole situation has put me off the idea a little!

sounds more like a dodgy charger, was it a cheap one?

the ampage on the fuse only acts as a limiter, not a determiner of current

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i'm aware of that, i just think as iphones only charge at 1amp, I'll lower the rating of the fuse as backup.

It was a cheap charger, but i'm pretty sure i'd used it before in the car. The LED on the charger is lit up and seems to be ok. . i'm 99.9% I got the wires correct, but I'm going to have to check that too

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You might want to consider that Geotagging allows an interested party to back track your habits, ID your home, your route to work, etc..... If you post a pic to the web, the code to figure all of that out is built into the image. GPS on a phone is in theory a good idea, as long as you don't mind telling everyone where you are all the time.

I agree.

It is of course quite easy to strip the metadata (Exif) from an image. For those using Linux then "jhead" works wonders.

semongtaulie

Reaction score
Visit site
I used the iphone 4 with the Navigon gps on my FZ6 and to be honest I didn't like it. The graphics on the Navigon are outstanding but what a pain the iphone is to use on a bike. I had mine in a waterproof case and the glare rendered the screen useless. The navigon would suck the battery down so I had to leave it plugged into the charger and then I'd get the dreaded yellow triangle of overheating warning and the phone would shut down. Also, no detailed route planning for the gps apps that I've found.
I will say having the phone plugged in came in handy in one respect though. As I was doing about 80 mph on I-64 through Charleston, WV, I feel something hit my left leg. I do a quick glance down and I see my iPhone (in the case) bouncing along the interstate tethered only by the stretched to the max charging cord!
Oh #$%^#, how did that happen? The case was "friction" mounted to a ram ball mount and somehow worked it's way loose. I was able to winch it back up with my left hand. Phone wasn't damaged but the case was scuffed up pretty bad. I'll bet the people in the Suburban in the next lane had a good laugh at my expense! The people at Mount Guys were very nice and refunded my money.
I love my iphone and the gps work well in the car. I switched to a Zumo 660 for the bike and it works a lot better(didn't work well for my wallet though:))

TSi Fly

Reaction score
Visit site
Whoops, didn't really want to get into the whole iphone vs the rest thingy, I was just trying to get over how useful these little pads were for anyone considering this sort of setup.
The aircraft mode is a good idea but I leave my phone on and it can be answered and rejected by voice from my Schuberth helmet bluetooth.
The so easy rider is bolted to the ram mount as I don't trust velcro either.
The iphone is loose within the cordura pouch of the holder and is cushioned so should not be subject to the vibrations of a hard mounted device.
The so easy rider can hold your car GPS.
My 12v socket is fused at the battery, the powerlet plug feeds into a standard cigarette socket in my tank bag and plugged into that is a fused Griffin ipnone charger.
I've not had any phone overheating issues but i will monitor this as this is the only thing I didn't allow for.
I was really disappointed with the graphics on my version of the Zumo 550 I just like the look of tom-tom graphics. I can appreciate we are all different and have different likes and needs.
Love you all, Ride safe!

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
Just an update to my fried iphone.

I got my new one today, and i'm waiting on some 2amp fuses (I had a 5amp inline fuse on the +ve previously) and also a better quality charger (belkin) with inbuilt fuse also.

I did plug in my car tom tom go 300 and it charged fine, which put my mind at ease at that it was likely the cheap 12v adaptor I bought. and my is wasn't my mistake that had cost me.

I've invested in a multimeter also and I just want to do a final check over before I plug in my new iphone, and its a nice excuse to get something which is on my list of things required in my shed!

Not many people can say their 12v socket cost them £170 !