iPhone on the handlebar

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
I currently use a ram mounted gps on the bar for tunes and navigation. I may be joining the crowd with an iPhone, so I am wondering if it is durable enough for handlebar use.

Joe

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used my Droid with this:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/i-Trek-GN032-WPCS-5-Motorcycle-Handlebar/dp/B004IQ8AI6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353158829&sr=8-1&keywords=5%22+handlebar+case]Amazon.com: i.Trek GN032+WPCS-5 Motorcycle / Handlebar Mount and Case: GPS & Navigation[/ame]

Not exactly inconspicuous, but it does work very well. It takes up all the shock, so no need to worry about iPhone's durability.

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
I've used my Droid with this:

Amazon.com: i.Trek GN032+WPCS-5 Motorcycle / Handlebar Mount and Case: GPS & Navigation

Not exactly inconspicuous, but it does work very well. It takes up all the shock, so no need to worry about iPhone's durability.

I purchased one of those but my phone kept overheating in it. I have a HTC Evo 4G but wonder if all Android phones put out that much heat. We are upgrading to Galaxy S3s in December so I will try it again when I get that phone.

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought one of the heavy duty otterboxes because I ride with it on a RAM mount. I haven't crashed yet, but I think it would survive. The only negative is that the screen protector is weak. I'm worn down the outside after a year to where there are always scratches on it.

The vibrations have taken a toll too. I have a screen protector on the phone and then the otterbox on top, and it's worn down where dust and other things have gathered in between. There's a definite pitting on the two plastic covers. Fortunately from where I've pulled it back, none of this is on the phone's glass, so I guess its all good.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think the phones are ready for this type of duty. Your phone may pass the test but it might be that one time it's sitting there and on top of the heat it generates itself, the sun might push it over the top or the battery becomes damaged. Probably fine for playing tunes with the screen off but I guess you can do that from a tank bag.

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought one of the heavy duty otterboxes because I ride with it on a RAM mount. I haven't crashed yet, but I think it would survive. The only negative is that the screen protector is weak. I'm worn down the outside after a year to where there are always scratches on it.

The vibrations have taken a toll too. I have a screen protector on the phone and then the otterbox on top, and it's worn down where dust and other things have gathered in between. There's a definite pitting on the two plastic covers. Fortunately from where I've pulled it back, none of this is on the phone's glass, so I guess its all good.

Thanks. It sounds like the phone is fine, even if the Otterbox is a beat. I can live with that. Plus the iPhone 5 is said to have even better glass.

Joe

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think the phones are ready for this type of duty. Your phone may pass the test but it might be that one time it's sitting there and on top of the heat it generates itself, the sun might push it over the top or the battery becomes damaged. Probably fine for playing tunes with the screen off but I guess you can do that from a tank bag.

Hmmm . . . a quandary.

Joe

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
You may not have this problem in CT, but.... I have an iPhone 4 and a TomTom GPS. When I ride the river hills along the Susquehanna River here in south central PA, I frequently lose cell phone coverage. If I'm traveling and navigating solely with the iPhone, that means I have no GPS when the cell phone coverage disappears. So if I need to navigate, I've got to have the GPS along. Otherwise I drift in and out of cell phone coverage, and have to make many guesses about where to turn. Of course, that's a lot of fun when there's time to burn!
- - - Jim

Most problems can be solved with a suitable application of throttle.

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
You need a different App, my 4S's GPS works fine without cell coverage.
Just be sure to load up your maps before you leave. Speed and direction are never an issue.

I too have mine mounted with a X mount.
RAM Cradle Holder - Universal X-Grip

It works fine, if you use a "life proof" case you're fine.
iPhone Cases and iPad Cases | LifeProof

My only complaint is that the Iphone freezes up (stops working) at anything under about -5'C or so..and will shut down at about +40'C or so.
So as long as your not riding in the extreme temps, you will be fine..