World region:Asia
Manufactured in:Japan
Year:2005*
Make:Yamaha*
Model:FZ6-S*
Body style:Road / Street*
Drive type:RWD*
Cylinders:4 Cylinders"

Doesn't mention which market it wad built for :( , unless that's what the "world region" bit is. Would an immobiliser, position lights, etc. have been standard if it was built for the asian market?

This link shows differences between bikes for different regions

Yamaha FZ6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

my bike is a european model... it has the sidelights, the park marked on the ignition barrel and the immobiliser together with the red key... and it had no stickers on the side pods... it is the faired model...

one other difference on us bikes is that they have larger indicators than euro models. i'll try to find some pics on the web and post them to show the difference.

Right, well, I think I'm getting somewhere with this. It's not an unofficial import, but it is a US spec bike according to the local Yamaha dealer. I think I'm happy with that. Personally, I don't really care about having the immobiliser (I'd rather fit an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser to be honest), and while position lights would be nice, I'm sure I can live without them, especially if I do the "headlight mod" that seems to be continually mentioned on this forum :)

Can't say the indicators look particularly large, and they certainly are on all the time as daytime running lights like I assume they are in the US.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Well, as you said, even if it was imported it has passed previous MOT's and has been registered on UK plates. So it is definitely legal or it wouldn't have been able to pass these. So it's just the issue of not having the immobilzer/lights which you aren't worried about either!

The really good news is you don't need to worry, the weather is getting better and you can go and thrash her to your hearts content! :D

I'm just going through the hassle of importing my bike to France form the UK - paperwork nightmare! Can't ride it until it's done :(

Well, this had gone from getting better to worse again :( I'd sent an e-mail to Yamaha UK, and they have checked the frame number. According to them, the bike was built for the USA, and was not imported into the UK by Yamaha UK. So it's an unofficial, 'grey', import :( Not sure what to do now. I like the bike, but I'm not really sure I want an import an all the hassle that goes with it (parts, insurance, current & re-sale values, etc.).

Can you take it back to the dealer and ask for your money back? if they get shirty just quote the sale of goods act 2008 stating the model is not the uk spec as described?

Can you take it back to the dealer and ask for your money back? if they get shirty just quote the sale of goods act 2008 stating the model is not the uk spec as described?
That's the plan. They are ringing me in the morning to discuss it. I could just ask for a partial refund to cover the lower value, or some other form of compensation, but I fear I'll always have this nagging doubt that if this history was hidden, is there any other hidden history that the HPI check didn't show. If I didn't actually like the bike, the choice would be easy!

One more check I just thought of: what side of the bike is the low beam on? In the US, the low beam (always on) is on the left side (while sitting on the bike). In the UK, it should be on the right side (as you're sitting on the bike).

One more check I just thought of: what side of the bike is the low beam on? In the US, the low beam (always on) is on the left side (while sitting on the bike). In the UK, it should be on the right side (as you're sitting on the bike).
Mine is on the left while sitting on it, but I actually thought UK models were the same?

Just checked in the Haynes manual, and in there it certainly appears to be the same side for low beam regardless of country (just the alignment will be different). Out of interest, I'd already put my bike up against a wall to check the alignment of the low beam, and it dipped to the left as it should be for the UK, so that has obviously been sorted at some point.

Also flicking through the Haynes manual, it lists the 4 character model codes for all the models, so I checked under the seat of the bike, and is 5VX8 - a 49-state US model.

Right, final update on this - I'm no longer an FZ6 owner! The dealer took it back and gave me my money back, so all is sorted now and I'm free to go and find another one. Actually, I've already found two I like the look of for the same money, and both have immobilisers and 'Fazer' on the side panels, so at least they're UK spec this time!

glad it worked out for you. that's a pretty crazy story. hope the dealer didn't get taken on a trade in. it's his business so he should know... but i feel bad for anyone that buys something that isn't what they thought and loses money as a result.

be sure to post pics of your new bike.

Back