Is the FZ6 the best bike you have owned, ridden???

Is the FZ6 the best bike you have owned, ridden???

• Yes!

Votes: 164 68.3%
  • No!

Votes: 76 31.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bump! Let's hear from the rest of you FZ6 owners, or any other bike owner for that matter!

:thumbup:

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I'll bite, just came back from a KTM Ride day.

Rode a RC8, RC8R and Super Duke 990 (Not the R). My mate managed to ride all of them however and his pick was the STM !!!

I have to say the bikes were HORRIBLE. I have to say I don't like V-twins, anything under 4k and they feel like they will stall !! Power was awesome though but the RC8 felt like it would fall apart from all the vibration. the RC8R was a completely different bike compared to the RC8 though. FZ6 I thought was heaps better than the Super Duke though. Not as much power but the FZ6 feels alot more planted and controllable. (The Dukes front wheel wanted to come up and that was in third gear!) The Duke didn't inspire confidence in me like the FZ6 does, getting back on the FZ6 felt so strange after riding those other three bikes though!

I voted no to the best bike ridden but best bike I have owned (Only second bike though) ... I would go with the Street Triple R for best ridden (So far). Not saying the FZ6 is worse or anything like that, I reckon the OEM tires is what brings it down for me haha :)

Also you SA Fizzers take care with all the hooning you will be doing with Kaz and crew :)

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
For me the 850 Commando is the best bike.
You kick start it.
It turns heads and sounds flawless.
It handles well for a heavy bike and is arguably one of the best bikes to ever grace the showroom floor.

Now put it away and get on a Fazer.

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Before I got the FZ6 I was looking for a VFR800, but they seemed hard to come by in low mileage and with a reasonable price, So I got an FZ6. Even though I'm very happy with it, I think the VFR800 is a better bike to ride. The engine in the VFR is amazing and I also like the riding position.

michael-james

Reaction score
Visit site
My last bike was a Kawasaki GPZ750 A2. It was a cracking bike in every respect from what i can remember. After 22 years and lots of cars later i decided it was time to get back on 2 wheels, and the FZ6-S2 was my choice. The Kawa 750 and FZ6 are pretty close in regards to power output and size. But apart from the obvious frame modifications and water cooling i cannot think of any part of it that is actually better than my GPZ. After 22 years out the saddle i would have thought technology would have increased significantly.
The fuel injection is a plus of coarse although i remember my Kawa being as smooth as silk with regular carbs. Brakes are no better and handling is the same. Have those designers been in hibernation for the past 2 decades or what.
Comparisons aside i still think the FZ6 is a cracking bike i just expected more!!
M-J

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My last bike was a Kawasaki GPZ750 A2. It was a cracking bike in every respect from what i can remember. After 22 years and lots of cars later i decided it was time to get back on 2 wheels, and the FZ6-S2 was my choice. The Kawa 750 and FZ6 are pretty close in regards to power output and size. But apart from the obvious frame modifications and water cooling i cannot think of any part of it that is actually better than my GPZ. After 22 years out the saddle i would have thought technology would have increased significantly.
The fuel injection is a plus of coarse although i remember my Kawa being as smooth as silk with regular carbs. Brakes are no better and handling is the same. Have those designers been in hibernation for the past 2 decades or what.
Comparisons aside i still think the FZ6 is a cracking bike i just expected more!!
M-J

The difference is the GPZ750, was a full on Sportsbike in it's day, and came with all the latest bells & whistle's in it's day, and in this day and age, the FZ6 is a budget blaster....not a market leading product for Yamaha....

So that's a pretty decent compliment to both bikes...i think.

:thumbup:

killereef

Reaction score
Visit site
I have always own and still have some late 60's and 70's bike. The only newer bike I own was a 2000 Confederate bike, super fast and amazing torque. I recently bought my fz6 and love it, very fun to ride. To me its a very nimble ride cause as everyone know those old bikes, not the same. Yes thumbs up for the fz6.

PeterK

Reaction score
Visit site
Cannot help, but I noticed that the FZ6 is compared to bikes from 20+ years ago more than anything else... ;)

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 is a great bike and has been my favorite street/sport bike due to it's veritility. However, my favorite bike has been....a Kaw Meanstreak ! Can'texplain it, it just is.

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I'll bite, just came back from a KTM Ride day.

Rode a RC8, RC8R and Super Duke 990 (Not the R). My mate managed to ride all of them however and his pick was the STM !!!

I have to say the bikes were HORRIBLE. I have to say I don't like V-twins, anything under 4k and they feel like they will stall !! Power was awesome though but the RC8 felt like it would fall apart from all the vibration. the RC8R was a completely different bike compared to the RC8 though. FZ6 I thought was heaps better than the Super Duke though. Not as much power but the FZ6 feels alot more planted and controllable. (The Dukes front wheel wanted to come up and that was in third gear!) The Duke didn't inspire confidence in me like the FZ6 does, getting back on the FZ6 felt so strange after riding those other three bikes though!

This post is pure insanity. :eek:

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I want another bike, a dual sport one for those rides including non paved roads, this yamaha xt660z would be a dream come true, but I'm not planning at all leaving my FZ6

2009_Yamaha_Tenere_Easy_kit_1.jpg

New Ten's :bow::drool:

You in the same boat as me. Love my FZ, but not prepared to part with it.

Oh well, my '97 XTZ660 will do for now....Until the bub is about 10yrs old :spank:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
The only other bike I owned is a '98 Katana 600. It ran twice and now won't start. No one can figure out why. Cranks all day long, gets good spark, compression is good, just rebuilt the carbs and set to stock, and then all over the place.

So I got a FZ6 for Christmas. Tons better. :thumbup:

Speaking of, if someone REALLY wants a project bike...

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 is a great all round bike. Gets me to & from work everyday & every now & then I get to stretch the legs with a bit of touring.

Best bike ive ever owned....................... that's a tough one. I really loved my VFR400 but that was a track bike & only served its purpose on the race track.

I would probably say my ZX7R. It was comfortable enough to do some serious miles. The front end was planted to the road.................. rock solid. I did touring, track days, hooning & had an absolute blast riding it. Best of all was the sound. That bike howled :rockon:

I really miss that bike & only sold it cos I would have ended up in gaol if I kept riding it on the road :(

Sparkybean

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had 4 big bikes an fzs600, sv1000, 650 V-Strom, and an fz6. I bought these bikes because they have reps for being very good. For me the fz6 is my fave but only just, I love the look of it the most which is what tips the scale. I would prefer to have the old fazer (fzs600) engine in the fz6. I remember it to have so much better mid range and the powerband was so much more brutal it would sometimes go into an unplanned wheelie if a friend was on the back (in several different gears). This is something that has always puzzled me as the the stats suggest the old fazer to have a couple less horses than the fz6. The vstrom is a close second though, it's so good at so many things, like the fz6. But it has not got that all important rush from a 4 pot.

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
Had an almost new V-Max a few years back.
I really liked that bike.
I own an FZ6 now and like it also.

Missy B

Reaction score
Visit site
I chose no, but.....here's why....
I still own my Wee Strom. That's the bike I've held onto the longest.
I've only had the FZ6, though, for a couple of months, if that (rode one on the Gap a few years ago prior). The Strom hasn't come out of the garage all that often with the FZ's arrival, though. LOL Having too much fun with it right now, but because I've had the Strom the longest out of any bike over the past few years, and just absolutely love it, I'm going with it as the best bike I've owned...thus far. Not saying the FZ won't overtake it but ...I do have to be careful, too. The Wee may get mad with all this talk.

Other bikes owned..since 2004...:

2002 Ninja 500
2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2002 Kawi Concours
2003 Yami XT 225 (still have)
2005 Suzuki Wee Strom (still have)
2006 FZ6 (still have)

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I said yes, but being the only other bike I've ridden was the Honda Rebel 250 I learned to ride on, that isn't saying much. I would love to pick up a big bike (ZX14:D) for touring, I recently discovered how fun hours of highway can be on a naked bike, sexy though it may be.

Sparkybean

Reaction score
Visit site
I said yes, but being the only other bike I've ridden was the Honda Rebel 250 I learned to ride on, that isn't saying much. I would love to pick up a big bike (ZX14:D) for touring, I recently discovered how fun hours of highway can be on a naked bike, sexy though it may be.

Am I missing a joke or something? Why is hours of highway on a naked bike sexy?

Hang on or even fun?

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Am I missing a joke or something? Why is hours of highway on a naked bike sexy?

Hang on or even fun?

Sorry, my sarcasm didn't convey over the web very well. The bike is always sexy, but the long riding was no fun at all. I rode into a strong wind the whole way down which made it even worse. I think I gained a neck size during the trip.

Sparkybean

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, my sarcasm didn't convey over the web very well. The bike is always sexy, but the long riding was no fun at all. I rode into a strong wind the whole way down which made it even worse. I think I gained a neck size during the trip.

I have never had a full naked and I find faired bikes windy as hell. So I can only imagine how bad it must be. I had a wee-Strom and the standard windscreen causes such bad buffeting it feels like your helmet is connected to a pneumatic drill. I had to do a 6 hour ride once and I was still shaking for about an hour after getting off it.