Is this ID Theft?

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
The other day I go some emails from PayPal welcoming me to their site and thanking me for setting up an account....I DO NOT have an account with them.:confused: Two of the other emails form them were confirming me auto pay setup for, lets call them "Company A." My first mod of action was to look at the info and figure out why I was getting this stuff sent to me.

I found out that some person named Beth, with an Ohio address and a bogus phone #, had set up an account with my email address. After calling the person's # and getting a messaged telling me to check the # I dialed I called PayPal.

Together we confirmed that the name, address, phone #, and (THANK GOD) Card # were all different. The only thing of mine was used was my email address. So, I had them block the account and I checked all my accounts and no money has been moved. Also, emailed the Beth person to what was would assume her email address would be if it was just a typo and they replied the was not her, of course if it was her I wouldn't expect her to say "it was me!"

I have my theories, but wanted your opinions. Is this a type of scam you all of heard of or experienced?

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe the email from Paypal is the 'fake' so that they can try to get info from you that way. When you call Paypal, what info did they ask you for?? Just a theory.

Is someone trying to steal your identity? Possibly. I hate to say this, but when you're in the military, you're so prone to identity theft. Your social security is on EVERYTHING. Worse is your ID card, it has your social AND birthdate.

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
I went to the PayPal site to get the # to call. I wasn't going to use any links from the email. They asked my name, address, phone #, and card #. What I gave them was my name, the state I lived in, my area code, and I asked what kind of card they had on the account and (lets say it was a Discovery card) I just told them I don't carry they type of card.

And you are very right with the Military part. I remember a while ago getting that letter in the mail about someone hacked in and stole a lot of SSN #'s. Scary stuff.

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
My theory is someone got somebody's info. Decided to use they card, address and make up a phone # and is using my email address so that the person who's card they stole won't be alerted about what has taken place. Just my theory.

The other odd thing is that they only is a charge subscription of 89.00 as a yearly fee for the "Company A." and today they sent in a trouble ticket to that company asking for a solution to a problem/questions they had. If there were scamming then why would they ask about that if they knew they would never get the emailed response. The clocks were turning on me for this one so I went in and changed my email address just encase they hacked that too.

I that this.:stupidpc:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In short - someone does a typo on an email maybe using .org vs .net or .com and walla, you can have a PP email requesting you pay a bill for something you know nothing about even if you don't have a PP account.

From PP you can request payment. Example you order something from a good source and say he doesn't know the shipping weight and cost. When he figures it out, he sends you an email with the total and it looks like a bill! Sorta what you explained here.

It could be as harmless as typo OR it could be scam! Eitherway -i'd say you did the right thing!

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I've recently just register for Paypal (about 3-4 months ago) so I can sell my stuffs here without giving my personal info away. As I remembered it, they will send you a link to activate your account through the email you give them. So I don't see why this Beth would use your email or anybody else. Beth should have just create a random Yahoo email.

Maybe this is all a big mistake? Is your email common? Maybe Beth has an email similar to yours and just mistyped.

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe this is all a big mistake? Is your email common? Maybe Beth has an email similar to yours and just mistyped.

my email can't be too common it's just my first . last name. Not sure, but I contacted the "Company A" and am waiting for a reply.

I am possibly blowing this way out of proportion, but I just want to be safe.

Also, I did get the welcome and activate email. it was a new email when I got it and they must have activated it as they still setup payment. I just don't know.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much for now. You took care of it right away, which is the way to do it. Companies don't take this sort of thing lightly, and they will investigate, or at least turn over the info to the authorities. People rarely get away with this sort of thing for very long. Just keep an eye out, maybe change your passwords as a precaution, and maybe keep an eye on your credit report as well.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've recently just register for Paypal (about 3-4 months ago) so I can sell my stuffs here without giving my personal info away. As I remembered it, they will send you a link to activate your account through the email you give them. So I don't see why this Beth would use your email or anybody else. Beth should have just create a random Yahoo email.

You have to type your e-mail twice to create an account. So Beth would have had to have two typo's.

Nelly

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe the email from Paypal is the 'fake' so that they can try to get info from you that way. When you call Paypal, what info did they ask you for?? Just a theory.

Is someone trying to steal your identity? Possibly. I hate to say this, but when you're in the military, you're so prone to identity theft. Your social security is on EVERYTHING. Worse is your ID card, it has your social AND birthdate.

Exactly.
A lot of times it's a scam to get you to reply. That's when they get your info from you. Never give vital info to them and sometimes don't respond at all or by other communications as you did. Bet you'll get an invite to use Paypal in the future. Haha! :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Chances are they got someone card info from some one else and now they needed an addy for paypal. The damage will be done and then they'll be out of there except for the IP they're using. Watch your mail. It could get authorities to they're door or as close as a few doors if they're on a wireless.

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanls fpr the advice and help.
As I said before I never replied to the emails I made calls off of my own research.

And that is a good point about the typing the email address twice.

Also, I was called back by "Company A" and they froze that account too.