Is this the future of motorcycle parking at Wal-Mart

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I came across this today while I visited a Wal-Mart in Sparks, Nevada, right outside of Reno. I was actually planning to park where we all riders are so accustomed to parking, right in front inside the white boxed out lines that are gigantic located next to the handicapped parking area. But this property was different, the area was not that large and it was clearly marked as no parking.

In my opinion, the location could be closer. It was a bit difficult to find since it was not that close, in fact you would probably have better luck finding and using a regular stall that would be closer. But this area that is designated will ensure that your bike will be safe from any inadvertent drivers hitting our bikes while they back up. Use it or lose it, so I'm a firm believer of supporting the businesses who have taken the time and money who have designated a specific area for motorcycles to park. But again, the location is critical for it to be utilized. It needs to be an area that is considered pole position, where the space cannot be missed.

20150726_110240_zpsoanuv7zd.jpg

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Salt Lake City installed an ordnance that every parking lot must have designated motorcycle parking, even the "Park-n-Fly" lots by the airport.
How many people ride their motorcycle, with their luggage, to the airport? :confused:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, and those WalMart spots are easily deep enough to park two bikes in each, but not wide enough to squeeze by if you're hemmed in, methinks.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Salt Lake City installed an ordnance that every parking lot must have designated motorcycle parking, even the "Park-n-Fly" lots by the airport.
How many people ride their motorcycle, with their luggage, to the airport? :confused:

Me! I've done it many times. At LAS, they had motorcycle parking inside the garage next to the elevators, pole position. At BOI, no motorcycle parking so I utilized an entire stall, when parking spaces were at a premium inside the garage. I just boarded wearing full gear, including my helmet. TSA went nuts when I put my electric jacket through the xray machine.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually park way around the back by the automotive oil change area.

Less traffic, your a lot closer to the entrance and there's some shade tree's I can park under...

Much less likely someone flying into a parking spot and "tag" your bike...

BTW, If I read it correctly, (at least down here), next to the handicap spots, the crosshatched area's are illegal to park in with the bike. It'd be the same violation as parking in the handicap spot...

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Is this at the new Wal-Mart by the Legends? I haven't been there. I don't think any of the other Wal-Marts in town have designated m/c parking. I just park in front of the store like you mentioned.

There's motorcycle parking in the parking garage at St. Mary's hospital in Reno. I go to the gym at the health center there and park my bike. It's on the first floor "pole position" right by all the handicap spots. It's even closer than the doctor reserved parking. Usually it's a bunch of H-D's then my Triumph. I always wonder what those guys think of my Triumph. heehee

Federico

Reaction score
Visit site
They have a few primo spaces painted out into mc spots at the local Costco. That seems like even less of a motorcycle destination than Wal-Mart.

At my work there are two really close MC spaces surrounded with curbs in the video monitored secured badge-in lot but most of the other riders park on the sidewalk by the front office door anyway.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is this at the new Wal-Mart by the Legends? I haven't been there. I don't think any of the other Wal-Marts in town have designated m/c parking. I just park in front of the store like you mentioned.

No, it's the one in north Sparks, off Pyramid Hwy near the Galleria. I live next to the Legends Mall, and I haven't seen any WM there. Is there one? I know there's a Target.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not worried about parking space(as I'm okay to walk after the park, but I want my bike to be isolated from cars, but not from the camera), but If I go to a mall/movies I don't want to carry my helmet and jacket with me and bring them into the theatre and take up the seat next to me.
Every mall should provide free lockers to put helmets.
For grocery stores like Walmart, Target, etc., I use their cart to carry my helmet and jacket (even if I'm buying a body spray or a toothpaste).

Currently I have S2 model, it has helmet lock, but I'm afraid of rain, So I don't use them at malls, where I park just under a tree (big enough to give some sun shade, but not big to stop the rain on my bike).

At the begining of this summer season, I went to theatre from my friend's place, I have my duffle bag with me, where I put my helmet inside it.
Bringing that bag into a theatre made me look like a T***ist with B*M*. I feel embarrassed.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Around here we have a shopping mall where we have motorcycle parking and next to the parking spaces we have free lockers.

"V"

We have it in India also, all the shopping malls can store our bags, after going through a small inspection (due to bad things happened earlier).
I want that feasibility in USA.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
but If I go to a mall/movies I don't want to carry my helmet and jacket with me and bring them into the theatre and take up the seat next to me.
Every mall should provide free lockers to put helmets.
For grocery stores like Walmart, Target, etc., I use their cart to carry my helmet and jacket (even if I'm buying a body spray or a toothpaste).

Yup, I take up an extra seat when I go to the movies, but I sit near the front where there's plenty of room. I don't like people sitting behind me kicking up their feet or having the seat dirty from putting their feet up where I will be sitting so I always sit in the first row that's below the walkway that separates the upper and lower seating area. I use my helmet as my shopping bag, throwing all the small items inside the helmet and I just hold onto the strap of the helmet that's still attached to the D ring. Just make sure you have your visor down or your items will fall out. I rarely use a shopping cart, I can only carry so much on my bike.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW, If I read it correctly, (at least down here), next to the handicap spots, the crosshatched area's are illegal to park in with the bike. It'd be the same violation as parking in the handicap spot...
Correct, that area is so handicapped vans and cars can fully open their doors or lower their ramps to get wheelchairs out. I had a friend who got a $500 ticket when his cat was parked so that his tires were on the hatched area, while the rest of his car was in the non-handicapped space next to it.

I'm not worried about parking space(as I'm okay to walk after the park, but I want my bike to be isolated from cars, but not from the camera), but If I go to a mall/movies I don't want to carry my helmet and jacket with me and bring them into the theatre and take up the seat next to me. .
Topcase! Once you go hard luggage, you'll never go back.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
OK - I thought they were putting one in the Legends but who knows I could be wrong. They seem to be popping up everywhere in town. Are you all settled in?

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They have a few primo spaces painted out into mc spots at the local Costco. That seems like even less of a motorcycle destination than Wal-Mart.

LOL, agreed! Who can make it out of a Costco under $100 worth of merchandise?
Where at WM...I'm in them every work day (and NO, I don't work for WM) and leave without spending a penny!