Is this the future?

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
If this is what the future holds:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItRA5L6s0Jw"]YouTube - Suzuki's crosscage : DigInfo[/ame]

crosscage2.jpg

crosscage.jpg

crosscage3.jpg

crosscage4.jpg

Then I'm "PRO FOSSIL-FUELLING"!!!

The bike is a Suzuki Crosscage Hydrogen Fuel Cell Motorcycle.
It doesn’t have any gears, doesn’t produce any noise and zero emissions.
They even removed the foot break ......

Although it is still pretty much in the test phase, Suzuki has plans to roll it out pretty soon.

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
Too crazy for me. Come on a motorcycle get great gas mileage as is. Why bring the high gas mileage spotlight on the motorcycle world? Why go for this? Who knows how much it would cost and performance would suffer I think. cue to the weight of the whole battery thing. Let's get a grip here Suzuki keep making great bikes that go fast and handled well and leave the gas mileage wars up to the cars. Eco friendly yes fun factor may suffer.....:spank:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
KTM already has an all electric off-road bike...

Everyone is playing. No matter where the technology comes from, it will help some where. The IC engine has come along way, but in the next 50 years I believe we will see it become obsolete.

-bryan

Silverback

MT Man!
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I LOVE the Sound of a Raucous bike, the vibrations of a Monster twin throbbing beneath me and it is part of the overall package that just adds to the sensation of riding a bike...The NEW theories of electric/hydrogen bikes take away something from the soul stirring sensation that makes it all worth while...who wants to ride a BLOODY Sewing Machine anyway...Not to mention the old LOUD PIPES SAVES LIVES theory....

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I LOVE the Sound of a Raucous bike, the vibrations of a Monster twin throbbing beneath me and it is part of the overall package that just adds to the sensation of riding a bike...The NEW theories of electric/hydrogen bikes take away something from the soul stirring sensation that makes it all worth while...who wants to ride a BLOODY Sewing Machine anyway...Not to mention the old LOUD PIPES SAVES LIVES theory....

Don't worry I am sure you will be able to get electronic sound effects, bit like the barking dog door bells :)

Silverback

MT Man!
Reaction score
Visit site
Its not just the sound, its the vibrations and overall asthetics of a Internal Combustion engine...That would be like stradling a sewing machine while listening to a Moto G.P. sound bite and imagining your Valentino Rossi, its just NOT THE SAME....

oz1980

Reaction score
Visit site
Has any one read the stats on this bike? The hydrogen cell (located between you're legs :eek: ) is pressurized to 35MPa, doesn't sound a lot, which when converted to psi reads at 5076psi :eek: If you're ever involved in an accident and that fuel cell cracks, small spark kaboom! ( further reading fuel air explosives)

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Its not just the sound, its the vibrations and overall asthetics of a Internal Combustion engine...That would be like stradling a sewing machine while listening to a Moto G.P. sound bite and imagining your Valentino Rossi, its just NOT THE SAME....

+1 on that!!! Its the whole emotion you get from the vibration, sound and so on.
A bike is not JUST transport!! , - it's a symphony of feelings, - and if you take away half the musicians and replace them with a tape-deck, - it's just not the same!

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Has any one read the stats on this bike? The hydrogen cell (located between you're legs :eek: ) is pressurized to 35MPa, doesn't sound a lot, which when converted to psi reads at 5076psi :eek: If you're ever involved in an accident and that fuel cell cracks, small spark kaboom! ( further reading fuel air explosives)

well,- that's what people was saying about the combustion engine 100 years ago ....., - "Fuel is explosive; so the engine is dangerous!!"

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Am infrastructure for refueling will take many years to develop. That is one of the big hurdles for fuel cell autos as well. Oh, and don't forget the cost. :eek:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
You are all going to call me crazy, but you will actually be faster and smoother on an electric bike/car/whatever. By not having to worry about the engine, or the sound you are able to focus more on the track/road and what you are doing. Not to mention, instant torque! It was this way for me in the R/C world when I switched from gas truck to electric truck. Then I was watching a program on TV with those electric sports cars...it was impressive.

Now I am not saying the sound is a bad thing. I enjoyed hearing the factory 600's and 1000's out at VIR. Heck the sound of a top fuel car alone gets my senses all tore up. Its just technology and a better way to do things.

-bryan

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site

And this is also an added benifit to new technology. Much lower noise. Its these loud pipes save lives guys that are really upseting everyone else and ruining the sport for all. Sound also plays a key role in racing events, many tracks have been forced to shut down due to noise levels after people builts houses on the land next to the track that was there before them by over 20 years.. but w/e.

I assure, when the technology comes around you will be laughing at the IC engine. The electric motor will make no noise and produce three times the torque and hp that your twin can make and will do it (snaps fingers) right now.

-bryan

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would love to try one of those on the track. I bet that thing would fly! Electric motors can be much quicker than gas. Massive torque, no shifting, etc.

The frame is very interesting too. Without a big motor in the way you can build the frame in a manner that makes for a better chassis.

I'd love to try one.

And this is coming from a guy who wishes they still made two-stroke street bikes. I really like all of the noise and stuff that goes with it but if the new tech works and is fun, I'll take it.

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
I would love to try one of those on the track. I bet that thing would fly! Electric motors can be much quicker than gas. Massive torque, no shifting, etc.

The frame is very interesting too. Without a big motor in the way you can build the frame in a manner that makes for a better chassis.

I'd love to try one.

And this is coming from a guy who wishes they still made two-stroke street bikes. I really like all of the noise and stuff that goes with it but if the new tech works and is fun, I'll take it.

Exactly. If it hauls ass and cranks out way more torque, I can live without the noise!

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site

I'd love to try one.

Yea, yea...

I love my two strokes! Its obsolete, in-effecient but they make some torque! Tim Allen (Ar, Ar, Ar, Ar) Mines not too loud, the FMF Powercor II really cuts the db's down a good bit. That and they are cheaper to run and maintain the the RFS motors.

These electric motors or fuel cells, once you cover the initial cost, the maintence fees should be relativily low I would think. Other than your usual wear and tear parts.

-bryan

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm all for hydro-engines, but electric motors suck. And you know why? Because they take forever to recharge. Filling up at the gas station takes 2 minutes, recharching a car up to 16 hours. Better not run out far from home...

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
First, hydrogen doesn't do a damned thing to get rid of our oil dependence. We make hydrogen from crude oil. And if anyone here says anything about hydrogen being free power since it's made from water, I will track you down and throw up in your lap.

Second, all that technology for a vehicle that has all the power of a 125? Gee, how about just keeping it simple and getting a 125, which already gets stupidly awesome gas mileage?

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I'm all for hydro-engines, but electric motors suck. And you know why? Because they take forever to recharge. Filling up at the gas station takes 2 minutes, recharching a car up to 16 hours. Better not run out far from home...

I'm hoping that we'll see electric cars with standardized, swappable batteries. So your electric car's on a road trip and the battery goes low. You pull into a gas station, drop the battery, slot in one that they have charged, and off you go. Like a propane cylinder exchange, but for batteries.