Is Water Wetter Better?

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I changed my coolant back when I first bought my 06 to establish baseline for future maintenance. I used 50/50 distilled water and anti-freeze.

I was in Cycle Gear the other day buying a new tire to replace my puncture rear tire and I noticed these other coolant additives that supposedly reduce your running temps.

I currently run like 4 bars on a hot day commuting home and can really feel the heat on my shins and calfs at 70 mph. (I live in Orlando, FL)

So, what is the forum consensus, does this stuff work? If I drained and refilled with 50/50 water wetter (or 50% water wetter treated water, however you are supposed to do it) and anti-freeze would that lower my temperature enought to make is worthwhile?

W

wrightme43

I dont know man, never used it.
Our systems are very fast to cool, they are very good at keeping the temp between 180 and 210. It it gets to cool it just closes the stat and then opens it when it goes back up. I dont see a real need for it unless your running a straight water system.

Flip side someone I really respect as a motorcycle mechanic (what he does for a living) said everyone should drain the antifreeze out and use honda cool. He says it is just a lot better at preventing deposits, cooling and preventing boilover.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I've heard that it works OK. I can see a change in the coolant altering the bike's ability to stay cool. And dissolved oxygen in the coolant forming bubbles on the walls of the coolant passages is possible. If water wetter prevents this, it would assist engine cooling.

Is is necessary? Doubtful. The bikes say cool fine without it.

I would not simply replace your antifreeze with Water Wetter. People do that at tracks where you're not allowed to use antifreeze. For a street bike it's overkill. And you want the antifreeze both for its obvious property and for the fact that it lubricates the seals on your water pump.

Running pure water can kill a water pump's seals. Water and Water Wetter is a second best choice if you're on the racetrack.

Water Wetter isn't likely to hurt anything. If you use it, use it as an addative to your existing antifreeze/water mix, not as an antifreeze substitute.

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
I use water wetter in my mustang. It, however, is strictly a track car and therefore I just run straight water and water wetter. It definitely runs cooler than with antifreeze but, in terms of longevity and year round usage, I wouldn't recommend it. You live in a warmer climate though so it may not be that big of a deal. I'd personally just stick to the 50/50 mix.

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
i got it in my car with just distilled water

over 3years without a change OOOPS
and the damn thing still wont get hot!
that includes 100kmhr + up a steep hill on a 40deg C day with aircon running!!!

changed the coolant on the fz6 a few months back with just standard coolant
as i had the coolant spare
bike takes like 2 litres

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been running water watter in my truck for 5 years and it makes a big difference in how often my fans need to turn on. It doesn't make you run cooler so to speak, but it emulates having a larger radiator which gives you more leeway when running in less than ideal conditions. I even use a capful in the water cooling system on my computer. :D

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the perspectives.

I think I'm going to give is a try with 50% water treated with the water wetter and 50% anti-freeze.

It is not that expensive or hard to do, and I'll see knocks off a notch on the 90 degree days.

Thanks

Lewis

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the perspectives.

I think I'm going to give is a try with 50% water treated with the water wetter and 50% anti-freeze.

It is not that expensive or hard to do, and I'll see knocks off a notch on the 90 degree days.

Thanks

Lewis

umm dude i know water wetter can be used with coolant
but the BEST way is to mix it with just distlled water and water wetter
iirc it is an anti freeze as well

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I would not simply replace your antifreeze with Water Wetter. People do that at tracks where you're not allowed to use antifreeze. For a street bike it's overkill. And you want the antifreeze both for its obvious property and for the fact that it lubricates the seals on your water pump.

Running pure water can kill a water pump's seals. Water and Water Wetter is a second best choice if you're on the racetrack.

Up for debate

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/5904-running-fz6-w-no-rad-coolant-2.html#post67789

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I added the 2 oz of water wetter to my coolant that I changed a few months ago.

It seems to running cooler, but the weather is cooler also. Ever since mid August it rarely has gotten above 90 hear in Orlando.

So, I guess I'll have to wait until next summer.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pulled this out of the archives by using the search tab, and found what I was looking for. I was just talking to my neigbor and he recommend not running 100% 50/50 mix coolant for our type of climate, very minimal freezing temps. He suggested more like 80/20 with distilled water or I think he mentioned using something like water wetter too.

Up to this point, I never thought too much about what type or what mix of coolant I should use. I always thought that Prestone 50/50 mix was good enough, but it might not be the for the bike under the climate that I live in.

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pulled this out of the archives by using the search tab, and found what I was looking for. I was just talking to my neigbor and he recommend not running 100% 50/50 mix coolant for our type of climate, very minimal freezing temps. He suggested more like 80/20 with distilled water or I think he mentioned using something like water wetter too.

Up to this point, I never thought too much about what type or what mix of coolant I should use. I always thought that Prestone 50/50 mix was good enough, but it might not be the for the bike under the climate that I live in.

Yeah, I would think it doesn't freeze there.

If the climate you live in doesn't ever freeze then you don't need anti-freeze for it's anti-freeze property... you use it for it's anti-corrosion properties.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I have always used Engine Ice in all the bikes I have delt with. The only issue I have ever come across with it was with the Cannondales. However, that was due to that fact that the valve cover, which is part of the water pump, was made of magnesium. Coolant tends to pit and eat away at magnesium for some reason.

In the hot summersun at idle, mine will get up to 4 bars. However the fan will kick on and it will quickly cool down.

-bryan

chickwebb

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys, stop disseminating misinformation and read their web site (Red Line Oil: Coolants and Others):

1) It is not an anti-freeze, though it may be mixed with anti-freeze

2) It provides equivalent lubrication/anticorrosion properties as anti-freeze

3) It will make your bike run cooler

I know #3 from personal experience (on my VFR 800, which like all VFRs tends to run pretty hot). If my RC51 Factory Basic Racer had a coolant temp pickup (it doesn't, nor does it have a key or a bunch of other stuff you don't need on a race bike) I'm sure it would tell me the same thing.

The first time I change the coolant on the FZ-6 this is what I will put in it. Half-a-dozen capfuls and fill the system with DI water. Done.

If you don't ever expose your bike to freezing temperatures, this is a viable (and many say, preferable) alternative to antifreeze. Some track day providers require it. One bottle will last a long time, so it's definitely worth considering.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Chickwebb, your post was the answer I was looking for. No need for anti-freeze for me. And sounds like the route that I was looking for as far as what type of coolant is way for the better as far as keeping the temps down.