Jacksonville, FL Area Riders?

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm basically a new rider in the Mayport area of Jacksonville. I've got experience here and there but this is my first bike that I owned. Getting my bike registered on base here in the next few days and I have my military sport bike course in Feb, if it holds up. March or April if it doesn't.

Just wondering if anyone knew any good rides in the area, or wanted to ride with a newb every once in awhile. Most of the good documented rides seem to be down near Orlando, or up around Savannah. I'm not against a ride like that, I just don't want to ride all that way alone and hang out by myself when I get there.

The only rider I knew out here just shipped out. Well there's that harley rider that only rides when its 75F +-5F sunny and he's half blitzed...

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, it is really hard to believe that there is nobody else on base that rides. I have been in the Army for almost nine years, and there have always been bikes around. Try checking with MWR, or your safety course supervisors they may know of other riders. This may also solve the problem of learning about local rides. If not there would be no way I can go for a ride in Feb in Michigan so bite me.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah. 60 is too cold for most people here to ride. And I try to stay off base as much as possible. I... uh... don't really like Navy people. Much too whiny. And all they want to do is drink, and try and play with your c*ck (the guys I'm talking about here), and try to make up stories about you cheating on your wife cause you said "hi, excuse me I need to piss and you're blocking the door." But it was more than 2 words so you must be trying to get in her pants.

The Harley rider works with me, but I'm not doing a poker run. I don't drink and drive on principal, and there's just too much to risk drinking and driving/riding in the Navy. Your life and the lives of others aside.

I'm trying to hook up with some local groups around here as well. This wasn't my only attempt to find riding buddies. :p I just thought it'd be cool to meet up with someone here.

And I'm not so concerned with the weather on the course in Feb, just the pansy *** people down here that freeze and refuse to ride in anything below 60. They need 5 people to do the class. I rode in 39F the other day cause I just got my bike damint and I loved it. It was like an hour and a half. My fingers got a bit cold, but I got some glove liners on the way to me.

I seriously saw someone wearing a full blown parka in 58F weather pissing an moaning about it being so cold. I was in a t-shirt.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry, I didn't see your message before.
I have realized that I can ride ok on the 50's. I might not be able to ride for too long on the 40's since I do not have proper winter gear.

The closest I've been to Jacksonville on the bike is St. Augustine. I'd like to do that again and probably overnighting there so I could explore further north the coast.

Actually I remember reading about a ferry over the St. John river? That would be interesting.

Where you talking about a class on February ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Taking it through the military on Mayport NS. And, yep, there's a ferry there near the base. I haven't taken it though. From the south side of the river just follow A1A north once it splits from Mayport Road. It comes out between the cruise terminal and the drydocks on the north side. Can't remember the name of the back road it dumps on though.

42 and raining, is my limit for an hour. 36 for an hour if it's not raining. My hands hurt for a bit after that. I still ride to work most days. I only gave up yesterday cause it was 38 when I left Mayport and almost freezing by the time I hit Orange Park. Riding Tuesday though. (I get mondays off). It's really all about your cold tolerance/proper gear/and having a throttle lock so you can warm your hands up on the engine block. I mean, heated gear, lol.

... I need a throttle lock on my FZ6.

Last edited: