Just ordered the PC V

rtw

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2006, which is basically stock (except for fork coils).

Just ordered he PC V. Around $275. Seemed reasonable.

I made this investment after deciding that I like this bike enough to keep it for a while (I hope). I really like this bike, except...

I am hoping the PC-V will reduce the "catchy throttle", which is now the only thing that really annoys me on the FZ6.

Presumably, it should be fairly easy to install. Anything I need to know or be warned about? Should I use the default maps on a stock bike? Will they smooth out the initial throttle response?

Thanks.

RTW

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I've heard the Zero map they give you is supposed to improve the throttle snatchiness.

Follow the instructions and if you need help they have a great support team! :)

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You may experience a mpg drop, I did with mine. The usual 44-50mpg dropped to 32-35ish. I took it out a month later..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does mileage get better with a custom tune?

Depends on the tuner. To often shops "tune for acceleration only" which isn't the best application for a DD as too often it carries with it a loss in MPG's. There is a happy medium so be sure to express your concerns there (off idle rewet), as this condition is product of having the fuel nearly shut off when the throttle plates are closed. Thus when you open it back up, it has only air with little fuel.
Perhaps you can use both maps 1) to fix snatch, 2) for a brisker riding styles with the understanding that range will be reduced?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Why pc v and not an ecu reflash?

At the moment I'm pretty sure its still $480 USD, plus down time, plus ship $$ while your ECM is in route to ECU Unleashed. Few touch the Yamaha ECM "as is flash wise" so options are limited.

I will say they do offer group deals but its not a hugs savings.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Also I wouldn't flash a stock bike, you put some mods on later, you're out your money. This is way easier lol.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Why pc v and not an ecu reflash?
Is the ECU reflash a tunable option?
I think the PCV or PClll would be the better option because you have the option of taking the bike to a tuner and having the bike tuned. Mapping the fuel injection and timing is very specific to each bike. How do you know what your tuning is with the ECU reflash?

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
The zero map in the pcv is very very rich. I have just had mine back a full tune with a lot of attention put into slight throttle, cruising throttle and the fun side. Some of the fuel boxes had to reduced 20% to make it correct. And this is with a bmc filter, modded airbox, two bros pipe.
Now runs smooth with a lot less snatch in the throttle. Plus perfect fueling for touring and fun in the twisty stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alkinoos

Reaction score
Visit site
Is the ECU reflash a tunable option?
I think the PCV or PClll would be the better option because you have the option of taking the bike to a tuner and having the bike tuned. Mapping the fuel injection and timing is very specific to each bike. How do you know what your tuning is with the ECU reflash?
Yes, the ECU reflash is a tunable option.
FZ6's ecu is fully adjustable.
You can change fuel and ignition tables like to a PCV.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The zero map in the pcv is very very rich. I have just had mine back a full tune with a lot of attention put into slight throttle, cruising throttle and the fun side. Some of the fuel boxes had to reduced 20% to make it correct. And this is with a bmc filter, modded airbox, two bros pipe.
Now runs smooth with a lot less snatch in the throttle. Plus perfect fueling for touring and fun in the twisty stuff.

I think the zero map is for a stock bike and is not a map for bikes that have been modded.

Yes, the ECU reflash is a tunable option.
FZ6's ecu is fully adjustable.
You can change fuel and ignition tables like to a PCV.

I know with the Power Commanders and other fuel management devices have a usb connector and the map is alterable while the bike is under load on a dyno. So with a sensor looking at the exhaust and measuring air to fuel ratios and acceleration off the dyno you can tune the fuel management through out the bike's entire range for best performance. Some fuel management can be set for different, switchable maps. Like map A and Map B. So I can have a map for the track and I can have a map for the street.
How is the reflashed ECU tuned on the dyno? Is there specific software that interfaces with the bike to tune it? :)

alkinoos

Reaction score
Visit site
Im not familiar with technical terms so i will just say it simple.
We use innovate's real time data on the dyno and the street (similar to dynojet's wideband commander).
Some wires are connected directly on the ECU and we have access to it.
Through a software we can see and modify in real time all the parameters like fuel trims, ignition trims etc. This way a custom map can be made at the stock ecu.
I cannot explain it longer.
I wish i had some photos from the last time we did it.
The best thing is that you can do 3D mapping and make the engine work perfectly in full range of load and not only in full throttle like the most tuners do.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Im not familiar with technical terms so i will just say it simple.
We use innovate's real time data on the dyno and the street (similar to dynojet's wideband commander).
Some wires are connected directly on the ECU and we have access to it.
Through a software we can see and modify in real time all the parameters like fuel trims, ignition trims etc. This way a custom map can be made at the stock ecu.
I cannot explain it longer.
I wish i had some photos from the last time we did it.
The best thing is that you can do 3D mapping and make the engine work perfectly in full range of load and not only in full throttle like the most tuners do.
Very good! That sounds like a great way to do it. Thank you for explaining that process![emoji4]

Sent from Moto's Motorola

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the zero map is for a stock bike and is not a map for bikes that have been modded.

Yes it is for a stock bike but even on the stock bikes the zero map is very rich and this explains the extra fuel everyone complains about when fitting the pcv. But when tuned they are much better. The maps they provide are in my opinion only good enough to ride your bike to the dyno.

alkinoos

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it is for a stock bike but even on the stock bikes the zero map is very rich and this explains the extra fuel everyone complains about when fitting the pcv. But when tuned they are much better. The maps they provide are in my opinion only good enough to ride your bike to the dyno.

Please allow me to disagree.

Power commander and any other similar device does not control "when" the fuel injector opens but "how long" the injector is open. The " when" thing is still your ecus job. By using a pcv you can only modify the "how long" factor.
The numbers you see when you open a fuel table are "units of time".
When you open the fuel table of a "zero map" you will notice every cell is zero.
So there is no way of extra fuel with zero map.

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
As soon as the pcv was plugged in it was rich. Prior to that it was good. Just because the pcv shows it is a 0 it may well be effectively a 10. Keep in mind the pcv also calls for the O2 sensor to be unplugged and that could effect what the ecu tells the pcv.

alkinoos

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes i know that but the 2006 model we are talking about does not have O2 sensor and the zero map is what it says, just zero.

Did you use an external λ sensor to see for yourself that is reacher? I used to have permanently installed a wideband commander to my FZ6 just for this reason.

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes run on dyno before and after pcv installed. Good mixtures before install. Rich with it fitted with zero map. That rich you could smell it.