Just purchased 04 FZ6 will not start since ride home. Help (still time to refund bike!)

ncfz

Reaction score
Visit site
FIXED

Hi

I purchased an 04 fz6 with 18k miles on her. After riding the bike home (no apparent issues when riding it home), it now will not start. It started up fine at the persons house, I cut the block on it, and after being satisfied, rode it home 50 miles.

Hasn't started since I parked it.

Charged battery.
Cleaned fuel pump.
Checked fuses.
Checked clutch/kickstand switch.
Clean fuel.
No clogged/kinked fuel lines.
Air filter is clean, nothing obstructing air passages.
Tried backing air intake adjustment screws out to 1 turn out each.

Key in, fuel pump primes, tach does its thing, check engine light stays red. Starter sounds like normal but the bike just doesn't fire up. Still get suction at exhaust and at air box.

No error codes displayed. That said, I haven't messed with or checked any values in the diag mode if anyone can help there (or if it sounds like somewhere to start).

If I try to start the bike while the fuel pump is priming (right when I turn key on) it will start and run for a couple of seconds (normally the bike will only run while the starter button is held in; sometimes it'll run for a few seconds after). It immediately cuts off then. Last night it stayed on for about 2-3 mins and I gave it some light throttle to see if it'd hold an idle/was any better. Cut off and didn't start after.

I've disconnected a spark plug or two and tried starting it, same deal, so I think it's getting spark fine. I can leave one hanging and get the same result if I try starting the bike while holding in the starter button+while it's priming.

Any help you can give will be great. I'm ready to diagnose the bike and reply ASAP as I need to figure this out (we are supposed to finish signing the title over this weekend).

edit: does the bike have any sort of on-board device/immobilizer?

EDIT2: After doing some looking around, it appears the seller didn't have the LEAN ANGLE SENSOR/SWITCH bolted down, so it was dangling and not properly indicating. Although, I wasn't getting a 30 error that I noticed... Oh well looks like it's running fine now after up-righting the switch. Sometimes I think just putting it all down in writing helps the process lol.

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What about the kill switch toggle on the throttle side, is that on or off?

What do you mean by you cut the block on it?

ncfz

Reaction score
Visit site
What about the kill switch toggle on the throttle side, is that on or off?

What do you mean by you cut the block on it?

Kill switch is being used properly and by "cut the block", I just meant, "rode it only for a mile or so".

jdoorn14

Reaction score
Visit site
Is the bike in gear with the kickstand up? That's a sure way to not start your bike. Can we also assume you are holding in the clutch lever as you attempt to start it?

ncfz

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the help. Been working on it all day and managed to fix it myself 5 mins after I posted this.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the help. Been working on it all day and managed to fix it myself 5 mins after I posted this.

sounds good i was gonna say spark or check the tilt switch ... guess you got it hope you enjoy it its a great bike :p

ncfz

Reaction score
Visit site
sounds good i was gonna say spark or check the tilt switch ... guess you got it hope you enjoy it its a great bike :p

Just from the ride home, I can tell that I'll like it more than my Z750 of the same year. The last several bikes I've owned were big twins; nice to be back to the I4.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What was the problem?

If it just suddenly worked, you may have a faulty TPS - there was a worldwide recall on the '04 and some '05 FZ6 TPSes - if yours is one of the batch, you can get it swapped out for FREE!!

Cheers,
Rick

ncfz

Reaction score
Visit site
Problem was the tilt sensor was not secured and was thus indicating to the ECU the bike was not upright. I just had not noticed (or it didn't throw) an error code at start-up.

And this bike already went down back in 2006 because of that TPS. Non-faulty one on-board now!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you got it fixed!

I did notice:

Quote: "Tried backing air intake adjustment screws out to 1 turn out each".

If the screws your turned are the screws in an aluminum block, under the tank, on the left side, you just adjusted your throttle sync and its likely out now... Again, if so, I'd be re-syncing the TB's.. The adjusters are very, very sensative and without a manometer to set them up, their still likely out even thou you may have turned them back in...