K & N Air Filter, hype or real ?

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Airbox mod (In theory, I can't speak to it) allows more of the air in that area to get towards the filter, no idea how well it works, or if it does, since mine was modded before I got the bike.
It does other things too, like decreasing the annoying whine of the intake, from what I've heard. It gave me a little more space in the battery area to put relays for my HID setup.

Whether or not you have a modded airbox, it shouldn't make a difference on which filter to use, I expect the same performance from a modded airbox with a paper or K&N filter, just like I'd expect the same performance from a stock airbox with either the paper or K&N.

It was more of a sarcastic response to more airflow, I did my research. I bought my bike new and went 9k before the two bros, rode it, noticed. PcIII, rode it, noticed. Then the k&n and airbox mod at the same time. Rode it, noticed.

Even if I isn't horsepower but throttle response it's still better. Even over restrictive stock exhaust an aftermarket is better, it moves more airflow, less restrictive, your engine breaths better.

Last edited:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not trying to change your mind, it is pretty obvious you like your K&N and don't want to change it, good for you!
I am just giving the other side of the story.

I understand that everyone has an opinion it's whatever you prefer, but I recommend it to anyone who asks.

Here's a shocker, I put the k&n on my performance vehicles, but get this..... On my 96 Oldsmobile cutlass supreme, guess what I buy? AC delco OEM paper filter for the box. I may get a tad bit better throttle response with an k&n (think bigger straw) but Its a old people car that I want to keep all original and yes, even the filter; however, wouldn't hesitate to switch over.

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I bought a k&n off of eBay, the reusable factor was the selling point for me. I have one on my truck (2012 F250 diesel) but on my truck the air restriction was choking the turbo back.

Thanks for everyone's input, some folks are pretty passionate about air filters, and oil :)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Waste of time and money. That said; the Slick 50, Amsoil, Split Fire, Marvel Mystery Oil people will want to Tar and Feather me...

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Because the factory gains a profit and the option for you to buy one of there products this case being the air filter. Which probably costs next to nothing to have manufactured. On the other hand, I am sure the factory would know best as a standard what to utilize.
I couldn't imagine the K&N being bad for the bike, plus it's re-usable. What it really comes down to what gets better air flow through the bike and not just on the immediate but overall duration? From start of life to end of life or recharge(servicing).

What's better?
How many stock air filters will you go through until the k&n pays for itself?

Does it really matter?

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I just have to wonder, if K&N is such a superior product, then why,as far as I know, are they not factory equipment on any vehicle.

Why aren't cold air intakes a standard on factory vehicles? Why do people spend money for better performance?

Kinda a odd question, why arnt there factory hi performance exhaust from the factory?

Anyways, as most should do before they buy a mod even small mist do research to fit his or her lifestyle.
http://www.knfilters.com/hp_gains.htm

http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#1

Last edited:

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Sure your mechanic wants you to buy the OEM filter. Because you have to come back each year and buy a new one! Do yourself a favor and don't ever trust this guy again. I'm living proof that K&N is the best.

LOL...but I only needed to replace my OEM filter once in 57000 kms. I still think K&N is hype. I love these threads, though....I'm thinking of resurrecting an old oil thread.

Last edited:

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
This will no doubt be like an oil or gas thread.Lol!

So true, you either have...

A.) Tried it or know someone who has and can provide good feedback

or

B.) Never tried it and provide feedback based off of what you read on the internet

B sucks most of the time!

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
To note the K&N filter has spectacular reviews on amazon. In my experience I find the reviews on there to be quite accurate especially when you start looking at products with 100's of reviews I have yet to be dissatisfied with a highly rated purchase, I'm sure there is exceptions to the rule.

385 reviews average is 4 1/2 stars...

294 five star...

55 four star...

15 three star...

2 two star...

1 one star...

Based off of this no one seems to hate it and boy do people sure leave feedback when they don't like something...

I'm going to get one and soak it in Marvel Mystery Oil just for kicks!

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
After reading this thread I decided to take the plunge and pick one up due to not being able to find anyone that has had a poor experience but hundreds of rave reviews on amazon and youtube, much like Marvel Mystery Oil :)

Once I fired it up and wrapped on the throttle a few times I could for sure hear a new snap to it. Once on the highway again no complaints smooth as butter and a much sweeter exhaust note. There IS more power present, nothing crazy but enough you will notice it. To note I had just replaced my filter with the stock yamaha over the summer so it's still quite clean.

I really wish I did this a long time ago, well worth the purchase and it will last me the life of the bike with an additional $15 purchase of the cleaning fluid.

pester

pester
Reaction score
Visit site
This pros/cons argument has been done to death in many many forums.
You will find people like you who swear by them and say they make you gain power and you will find people like me who would not touch them with a stick.

If i was a racer and knew that my bike/car engine was going to be completely rebuilt every 1000 miles, and if i was trying to squeeze the last HP from my engine, then i might go for it.
Unfortunately it is not and IMO the 1 or 2 hp gain is not worth the potential risk.

To each his own...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

I have a kn n in mine. And i had to open the airbox for other reasons. And everything insude is clean

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL...but I only needed to replace my OEM filter once in 57000 kms. I still think K&N is hype. I love these threads, though....I'm thinking of resurrecting an old oil thread.

Thank you Sir. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Still up in the air on this one. I know that certain carbs and car fuel injection don't work well with them. I tend to assume that Yahama engineers know more about airflow than I do. I could be wrong but the is fine for what it is....

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you *need* the cleaning kit?? Couldn't you just blow it out with some compressed air in the reverse direction it intakes from??

Blown_Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Couldn't you just blow it out with some compressed air in the reverse direction it intakes from??

Compressed air and cotton filters do not mix well. The concentrated air pressure spreads the fibers and creates "holes" large enough for dust to enter. Just use something like simple green to clean and rinse under running water. Air dry (hair drier!) And, reapply oil.

Technically, you don't need the kit, but you'll want to find a suitable oil. K&N oil can be purchased alone without buying the kit, BTW.

Sent from my SkyRocket

Last edited:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Compressed air and cotton filters do not mix well. The concentrated air pressure spreads the fibers and creates "holes" large enough for dust to enter. Just use something like simple green to clean and rinse under running water. Air dry (hair drier!) And, reapply oil.

Technically, you don't need the kit, but you'll want to find a suitable oil. K&N oil can be purchased alone without buying the kit, BTW.

Sent from my SkyRocket
Thanks for the tip(s), would compressed air work to ghetto-extend the life of a paper filter safely?? Though I'm more sold on the K&N due more of the positive impacts I've read than the neutral (or even less so, negative) viewpoints/experience