K & N filter oil

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What would be the negative consequences not spraying the,oil back onto the air filter? I took the time to clean it and forgot to spray the oil and I don't want to take the battery out again. It's a big PIA since I have so many terminals hooked up to the battery terminals from my accessories it very difficult to line up up the bolt and screw to hold everything in place.

On the plus side, I have noticed my sputtering is gone. My idle only fluctuates about 50 rpm when it's warm/hot and I haven't noticed really of the major sputtering in 1,2 or 3rd gear as I use to. May not be perfect but I can live with this. Grant it was only a 3 mile test ride, i am planning a 50 miler this afternoon. Reconnecting the battery terminals and cleaning the filter did make a significant change. Back to my question, will I be okay without the oil?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You should start more threads on the same topic!!!
picture.php
picture.php

haha! J/K!

But Ya, it needs oil to work! But the better question is why do you have to remove the battery??:confused::confused: What? Just 6 screws atop the air box and the lid comes off.. ... ..
picture.php

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tip for lining up the battery screw with lots of terminals. If you cut a plastic wall anchor in half and shove it under the nut, it will keep the nut up so the screw can reach easier. Plus since the anchor is plastic, it will squish when you tighten it. :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Tip for lining up the battery screw with lots of terminals. If you cut a plastic wall anchor in half and shove it under the nut, it will keep the nut up so the screw can reach easier. Plus since the anchor is plastic, it will squish when you tighten it. :)

Foam ear plugs or a very short section of heat shrink works good too.

Vegasrider, was your running crappy issue just the dirty air filter??? Was it that bad??

Last I heard, it was going to the shop...

I'd be curious too how the bike runs with the K&N filter oiled up vs a stock, CLEAN air filter..

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The oil is what is actually attracting the dirt!

The K&N filters already let a lot of crap through, without oil it's pretty much like having nothing. Personally i would remove it and oil it, actually i would not even use it, but that is just me...

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

That's what I figured.

But Ya, it needs oil to work! But the better question is why do you have to remove the battery??:confused::confused: What? Just 6 screws atop the air box and the lid comes off.. ... ..
picture.php

Hmmm, I think you're right I will check tonight.

I may have just put too much oil on it last time. I will use it lightly. It was dirty, but nothing out of the ordinary, with a few bugs or debris stuck in on the front side. I rode 250 miles today, no issue, idle is holding pretty steady along with my rpm's at any speed. And no error code 46. My bike was to go in the shop tonight but I postponed it until next week, when I get my cut of switch swapped out. Not even going to bother cleaning it, it has been used for 98k miles, it's worn out.

FZDave

Reaction score
Visit site
What would be the negative consequences not spraying the,oil back onto the air filter? I took the time to clean it and forgot to spray the oil and I don't want to take the battery out again. It's a big PIA since I have so many terminals hooked up to the battery terminals from my accessories it very difficult to line up up the bolt and screw to hold everything in place.

On the plus side, I have noticed my sputtering is gone. My idle only fluctuates about 50 rpm when it's warm/hot and I haven't noticed really of the major sputtering in 1,2 or 3rd gear as I use to. May not be perfect but I can live with this. Grant it was only a 3 mile test ride, i am planning a 50 miler this afternoon. Reconnecting the battery terminals and cleaning the filter did make a significant change. Back to my question, will I be okay without the oil?

If I were you... I'd oil it up, It doesn't take a whole bunch either. I do feel your pain, I try to only pull the tank up once a year.

FZDave