K&N Revisited

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had a K&N air filter for the past year and a bit. Great performance, but I hear mixed things about them. Sure, they let more air in and boost performace a little, but do they still filter effectively? Some say no, that they will eventually ruin the engine by allowing too much particulate in, while others say it's hogwash. I had my airbox off tonight and used a clean rag to wipe inside the air intakes - no noticable dirt but a very slight residue.

So what of it, good or bad? What's your opinion?

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had a K&N in my car for years now, never once had a issue with it. Have a K&N in the bike this season. I think that they are a great filter, but the only thing that I noticed is that, off the line the bike does not seem to suck for are as hard. To get the true performance possible out of a high flow intake, you need to have an exhaust that can handle it. One more thing, people who clean and then over oil the filter because the can't read instructions are the people who mess up there engines with the K&N IMHO.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had a K&N air filter for the past year and a bit. Great performance, but I hear mixed things about them. Sure, they let more air in and boost performace a little, but do they still filter effectively? Some say no, that they will eventually ruin the engine by allowing too much particulate in, while others say it's hogwash. I had my airbox off tonight and used a clean rag to wipe inside the air intakes - no noticable dirt but a very slight residue.

So what of it, good or bad? What's your opinion?
I have used a K&N for the last three years. I haven't noticed any improvement in performance. There is a bit of residual oil on the induction side of the filter.
My plugs are burning at the right temperature and my bike runs well.
I installed the filter because it was more economical than the standard filter.

Nelly

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The K&N filters seem to work great for me. I have them in my truck and my FZ6. I agree no noticible power gain but the savings of not having to buy filters is reason enough. :thumbup:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have over 20K on my original filter, I wonder if it's time to change it.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have over 20K on my original filter, I wonder if it's time to change it.

It should last the life of the bike... I put 100K miles on mine (cager) and I changed it just because...

The residue might be due because of oil. After cleaning it with soft cleaner and air dry (No compress air!!!!) You need to apply a THIN film of oil, that mean don't soak it! It get all suck up in the intake and sensor. Also, spray the oil on the "outside" (direction of air flow...)

Any Autozone, or part peddler will have K&N filter cleaning kit on the shelve... Since you can clean it... I'm cleaning mine every 2 oil change. :thumbup: