keeping your hands warm this winter!

DannyRose

Reaction score
Visit site
So guys here we are again getting into winter the mornings are chilly and its not too bad right now but it won't be long!

So this is my first winter on the fz6 and not a scooter, motorways were never a problem because I never used them, but now I ride to reading every 2 weeks to see the girlfriend at uni, I need to keep my hands warm and dry! I'm not worried about the commute to work as its only 10 mins there 10 mins back

IVe looked into 4 things.....
• heated grips
•heated gloves
• handle bar guards to block the wind chill factor
• handle bar mitts

They can all be equally expensive but what have you guys used and found worked best? Plus I need to invest in actually warm waterproof gloves not off eBay. Cheers guys!

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
Heated gloves will work the best. I haven't been able to justify the cost. Especially since most systems require both a heated vest $$, the gloves $$ and a heat controller $$. I can't justify the cost to extend my riding season by a month.

I just bought these because the price was right.
Aerostich Warm Wrap Grips :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

They are easy on and easy off which I really like. I didn't want something permanent like heated grips. I've heard too many horror stories of melted grips and faulty wiring from cheap set ups. Plus I like my comfy pro-grips :)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the oxford hot grips in the winter, together with my winter gloves they keep my hands warm for my 45 minute commute.

The oxford hot grips are advertised as turning off automatically if you accidentally leave it on, this has never worked for me (resulting in having to push start the bike a couple of times).

The freezer gloves are pretty bulky, but they are really warm and waterproof :thumbup:

It's also very important to keep your upper body warm, if you don't your body will take heat from the extremeties (fingers and toes) to warm up your torso.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Handle bar wind guards and heated gloves will be the most efficient. Heated grips loose most of their heat to the air, especially if you don't have wind guards.

I have found that what gets the coldest for me our my ankles, neck and hands.

Heated gloves + windbreaker pants to go over jeans with velcro or elastic at the ankle so they can be attached to the boot and a balaclava for the neck...good to go!
AAAACxIQJgMAAAAAAZ7lig.jpg

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
also make sure your body is nice and warm

i've had less problems with cold hands since i upgraded my textiles

i also have heated gloves, but they are a bit of a pain in the arse to put on and plug in

i'm still wearing my leather gloves (when it's not busy raining)

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Because I'm cheap, and still figuring out how this whole cold-weather riding season is gonna play out, I rode in 38F today for 1 hour wearing my summer A* SMX2's with latex/nitrile gloves underneath. They were quite cold, but nowhere near the pain I experienced without the ghetto lining during Monday's ride in.

If you're seriously extending or riding through the winter season, this option isn't for you. But it buys about 10-15F degrees of comfort for next to no cost. I'm gonna keep a couple pair in my under seat kit. They can keep your hands warm in the cold, clean during roadside work, and safe while tending to an accident with blood.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just rode from NJ to NC using my heated gloves for the first time.....WOW! Why I didn't use these for the last 2 years....IDK? They are from First Gear, not sure what model they are, but I was in total comfort the whole way down here. My jacket, pants, and thermals cover the rest of my body, but cold hands would limit my range. Not any more!

PPieter

Reaction score
Visit site
I do not use my bike for commuting, so I leave it in the garage when the weather gets too extreme outside. However, my kevlar riding gear (which is always a little warmer than leather ones) in combination with a decent pair of winter gloves (Richa Ice Storm Glove) and a decent [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nike-Combat-Hyperwarm-Compression-Mock/dp/B004BUNQBK"]thermal shirt[/ame] got me through some pretty chilly temperatures.

Best thing about the gloves is that they are actually two gloves: a soft one to keep you warm and a hard one to protect. I have never used any heated clothing/handlebars so can't tell you anything intelligent about that.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
A good set of hand guard goes a long way, all depend how cold it gets and how fast you ride. I kept mine for the summer time this year... kind of keep some of the rain out of my gloves also.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of these sitting in my closet gathering dust. I bought them and never got round to fitting them (and it doesn't really get that cold in Texas.

$10 shipped to the lower 48 and they're yours.

andysadd

Reaction score
Visit site
Last Year I purchased some RG heated grips for £39 GBP best purchase ever!! :) I wired them in to the Elec loom so there is no chance of leaving them on by mistake !

DannyRose

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm from the UK! So I can't buy your gloves lol, cheers chaps for your input and opinions, im not going to go with heated grips as I'm not very confident about fitting them,, im all set with my textiles i wear/will wear thermal all in one (brilliant!) my clothes then my alpinestars gtp jacket and ast1 trousers and richa boots i had ride in 3 degrees tonight on the motorway and i felt very warm toastie except for my finger tips im leaning towards heated gloves ill let you know what i purchase! :D

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Heated gloves are brilliant, I've had heated liners for the past 3 years but will get gloves this time round.
Reason for swapping less hassle putting on, plus they were starting to feel tight under the gloves.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Heated gloves are the most expensive solution, but are also the warmest. If you ride on the motorway for a long time, than wind blockers will also help such as these General Accessories, Motorcycles and Scooters, 2008 FZ6, Hand Guard Visors. The Held Freezer gloves that someone mentioned here are terrific - I think the best winter glove. They have Goretex lining, primaloft insulation and are leather. They are no any bulkier than most winter gloves. But, keep in mind that the better the insulating glove is the less heat from a heated grip will be felt in the hands. Hippohands are great for the city, but are not the best on the eyes. ;-)

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
Heated grips and these mitts work well for me. The key is to secure them to the bar ends. I ride in the winter as long as there is no ice on the ground.

IMAG0591-1.jpg

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought Gerbing's heated gloves and jacket liner a couple weeks ago. Amazing! Of course as soon as I purchased them, it was back in the 70's and 80's for a few days...lol. The jacket liner gets soooo warm and the gloves keep your hands at the perfect temperature. All the wires can be a major PITA, but once you're hooked up and on the move, it's well worth it!

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
Heated grips and these mitts work well for me. The key is to secure them to the bar ends. I ride in the winter as long as there is no ice on the ground.

Are those the tusk mitts? I just bought a set (waiting on delivery). for $20/shipped I figured I'd give it a shot. How did you secure them to the bar ends?