Knee Dragging and the Law....

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well maybe not actually dragging a knee, but does anyone know if hanging off the bike in turn on the street is against the law? I don't mean that 'Careless Driving' law that provides a broad spectrum of definitions.

I find myself hanging off consistently around certain turns, so if there is a ticket in my future I'd like to know that.

Any current or former LEOs that can offer some insight?

Thanks

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't think so. As long as you're not drastically over the speed limit, who can tell you how to control the bike, or lean angle you have to take...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not against the law but it sure shows your intent! On the street I ride pretty much upright. Hanging off is for the track.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
You can tell him you're changing the center of mass so you don't have to use as much lean angle. Good practice for the wet!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's probably largely upon discretion of the officer. There are a few laws like "display of power", careless/reckless driving etc. that you can get a citation for. There are also qualifications that some officers go to school for that when certified, they can write citations for perceived speed and that testimony by those officers can stand up in court.
The speed in a turn in some states is a suggested speed and not the actual speed limit. If a LEO is certified and knows how long it takes from point A to point B. you may qualify for a prize.

I think if you get stopped for shifting your body in a turn your demeanor is your best defense. A LEO may think that if you have to get your weight over to execute a turn you're not in a safe zone.

I've been mid blind turn, off the bike and as a CHP came around I could see he was sort of surprised but didn't stop me or at least I was down the mountain before I was lit up. Never run!!!:eek:

I think our CHP are so well trained and I've seen them help more than bother anyone. We have officers we know and stop to shoot the breeze when ever we get a chance. It can get lonely sitting on radar on those mountain road! Lol!

I've gotten stopped with my friends and when the CHP walked up to me, he point at me and said, "And you're the fastest!":eek:

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been pulled over (on my old KLR 250!!!) zipping around a corner, not faster than the speed limit but just about dragging the pegs. The bike is tall so I was leaned over (Knee NOT out) quite a bit. I could see way ahead, it wasn't a blind corner.. He was in a very UN-marked car, stopped, NOT pacing me(in another straight thru lane).

He got on my butt and I speeded up some for some space. Of course that came up once stopped but it wasn't an undercover typical ford. Once the lights came on, I pulled over immediatly.

It wasn't wreckless, I wasn't over the speed limit (road dry). Nothing happened at the traffic stop, (really wasn't a reason to stop me for the turn).

I was a PO at the time, and did 25 years on the street, (lots of traffic enforcement, on the traffic motor unit for a bit) so I am VERY FAMILIAR with Florida traffic laws.

I personally would NOT have stopped the bike in that instance. There were NO laws broken, short of me speeding up later when he was on my tail (probably running the tag, etc) . He was looking (as is his job). Of course, your attitude, driving history, etc, will play into the traffic stop....

Had I gotten a ticket, could he argue (in front of a judge) it was careless driving?? I don't think it would float but in the end, its up to the judge.

I can and do, with the FZ, will go around certain tight corners at 30MPH (the speed limit), (not dragging the pegs) but using all my lane.

As a side note, literally decades ago, I was stopped for running a red light (we have right turn on red). I stopped, did NOT put my foot down on the ground (but did stop) and proceeded.

He brought that up that I didn't put my foot down.. WTF? Please show me in the state statute book where I HAVE TO TOUCH the street with my foot to be considered stopped.. He couldn't (BS stop) and I went on my way. The PD here has since lightened up 1000% at least.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As a side note, literally decades ago, I was stopped for running a red light (we have right turn on red). I stopped, did NOT put my foot down on the ground (but did stop) and proceeded.

He brought that up that I didn't put my foot down.. WTF? Please show me in the state statute book where I HAVE TO TOUCH the street with my foot to be considered stopped.. He couldn't (BS stop) and I went on my way. The PD here has since lightened up 1000% at least.

That's called a balanced stop, something I do. I asked the local motors whether this was legal and they said yes. But they discourage it because it doesn't allow you enough time to look in all directions once you have come to a complete stop. I actually had the balls and conducted a balanced stop taking a right turn on red when I a motor unit was in the next lane waiting for the light to change.

Not saying you should do it in traffic, but at the very least, it's fun practicing in an open parking lot. Stop then take a 90 degree turn.

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
Current LEO, and though I must admit that the code books are longer than I can memorize, I don't know of any law against putting a knee down.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
It's not against the law but it sure shows your intent! On the street I ride pretty much upright. Hanging off is for the track.

Hanging off is also for twisty mountain roads and LEOs are few and far between, at least where I ride.

I would not be hanging off, while riding in town. It is just not needed.

This space intentionally left blank.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
That's called a balanced stop, something I do. I asked the local motors whether this was legal and they said yes. But they discourage it because it doesn't allow you enough time to look in all directions once you have come to a complete stop. I actually had the balls and conducted a balanced stop taking a right turn on red when I a motor unit was in the next lane waiting for the light to change.

Not saying you should do it in traffic, but at the very least, it's fun practicing in an open parking lot. Stop then take a 90 degree turn.

I thought I'll get pulled over yesterday for doing that, it was a free right for me, but on RED, I see the car on my right is making a left only turn. So, if anything coming through my left has to go through this car, then I saw a patrol car, right in front of me, had an eye contact (for a second) with him but he didn't come back on me, I was ready to pull-over even.
Next time, at least I'll do a balanced stop, not to be picked on.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you are taking a right on a red, the traffic making a left turn on green has the potential of also doing a U-turn, making that vehicle having the right of way. Since most vehicles cannot complete the U-turn within a radius of one lane, they will most likely swing wide so be careful in those situations. One of my pet peeves are drivers who are unaware that they are allowed to make a right on a red, unless posted, and not utilizing the lane nearest them to turn into, so I'm very aggressive and pro-active making right turns on red as soon as the opportunity develops, but I have to be aware of those U-turns. The same should go when you are making a U-turn, vehicles could be making a right turn themselves, in which you have the right away but they may not be looking or aware of that situation.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the insights and history.

To be clear, I am not dragging a knee on busy streets, but when I am on 'un-busy' streets (not necessarily rural, sometimes just quiet suburban), I am practicing moving my body without disturbing the bike, so it may look like I am being aggressive, but speeds are way below usual for any particular area.

I just want to know if this requires scoping the area for bogies

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Bogies are EVERYWHERE!!!:rolleyes:

Not everywhere. I ride in some mountain areas that has no town LEO presence and county and state are stretched too thin to cover all the roads.

Even the Ranger presence on the BRP is very light. They just do not have enough man power. They tend to patrol the areas with heavy foot traffic.

This space intentionally left blank.

Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't really seen the need to get knee down in most cases. It can help when you're dealing with cold tarmac but mostly I use it for certain roundabouts to get a smoother line on the exit. Can't say I've ever got it all the way down before but close enough that the chicken strips are much much smaller than usual after certain stretches! It's psychologically satisfying but probably not necessary in most road riding situations.