Lane splitting study

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Box-delivery-in-Hanoi.jpg

Is that Cliff coming back from the 7-11 on his Sazuk?

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Splitting is great. Those that don't think it's safe, haven't really thought about it, and most certainly haven't done it. There is a nack to it, and learning how to do it can be a bit scary. I found it easier to follow other bikes to start with, and now I'm teaching the wife in the same way.

The issue we have in the UK is ignorant car drivers. Splitting (or filtering as we call it) is totally legal. It's covered in the highway code. It's protected in civil case law. But there are those that consider it "undertaking", and will roll their cars along the white line in heavy traffic to block you. As far as they're concerned, if they have to wait, so do you. They can't understand that every biker rolling on the white line, is one less car making the queue longer between them.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
At my old department, when I was riding motors (HD's), when running emergency code (lights and siren), traffic is supposed to move to the right (and state law). In real life and stopped traffic it doesn't happen much..

When traffic is backed up (say from the wreck), I can legally ride my cop bike, down the side safety lane, lane split, etc to get to the scene. It should be done as safely as possible.

Should a wreck occur, in most cases, the cage is SUPPOSED TO YIELD the right of way to an EMERGENCY VEHICLE (WHILE IN EMERGENCY mode). The emergency vehicle can be found at fault say if they run a red light at excessive speed without slowing, checking for cross traffic, etc.

I personally, made sure trafiic was stopped before I entered an intersection
as I didn't need a wreck (and was useless if I didn't get there). Never laid down the bike (nor total a cop car in 25 + years).

Normal riding about (patrol), lane splitting, (cop bike or not), is NOT ALLOWED.

I really like your contributions (mechanical and social). But, wow, you're saying the motor officers in FL, if not in emergency mode, must just sit in daily backed up freeway traffic lanes. Or, do officers get to ride in emergency mode if it's just a normal every-day traffic stand-still condition? How can motor officers effectively patrol if they, like everybody else, are stuck in snail pace traffic? When you say emergency, is that only lights? BTW (off subject), CHP just awarded contract to---do you believe it?---Harley Davidson. It's weird seeing CHP officers back on HD's. Wow, from the 70's, CHP abandoned Harley for Kawasaki, then BMW, but now back on Harleys. Gawd, those police special HD's scrape like crazy. Or, maybe they abandoned those scrap prone floorboards?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like your contributions (mechanical and social). But, wow, you're saying the motor officers in FL, if not in emergency mode, must just sit in daily backed up freeway traffic lanes. Yes..

Or, do officers get to ride in emergency mode if it's just a normal every-day traffic stand-still condition? You better be going to a wreck with injuries, something life and death, fire, shots fired, etc, or you can count on some counseling, letter in your file, day off, etc..

How can motor officers effectively patrol if they, like everybody else, are stuck in snail pace traffic? Yes, absolutly! Motors were run days, 8-4p, so you really weren't but an hour in the morning, rush hour traffic. It wasn't hard. Find were they love to speed and there's issues(wrecks, etc) and set up radar. I'd give them 15 over before I'd even stop them and they still kept us very busy. Sit at a traffic light, count on at least 1 out of 10 running it, and I don't mean squeeking by..

When you say emergency, is that only lights? Lights and siren.. BTW (off subject), CHP just awarded contract to---do you believe it?---Harley Davidson. It's weird seeing CHP officers back on HD's. Wow, from the 70's, CHP abandoned Harley for Kawasaki, then BMW, but now back on Harleys. Gawd, those police special HD's scrape like crazy. Or, maybe they abandoned those scrap prone floorboards?
Naw, the floor boards are still there. Back then, there were NO balanced engines. In an advanced class I took, we learned the "Iron Cross" and a bunch of other slow speed, full lock, drag the floor boards, turns. Its truly is amazing, at slow speed, (where it counts), what you can do with that beast..You should have seen the parking lot where we practiced, lots of ground up circles in the lot. :) It was fun but very hot in the summer with no A/C. Find a shade tree to set up under..

My first (blue 2000, and 2nd, 2006 black and white cars, in my driveway) Don't have any digital pic's of the bike..

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its truly is amazing, at slow speed, (where it counts), what you can do with that beast

Yup! I got to do slow speed stuff on a Victory Vision (BIG bike).. I was shocked how great it was at very tight, slow turns. Way better than my FZ1 and infinitely better than any sport bike.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the main reasons for me owning a bike is to be able to cut through traffic and filter (lane split).

If the traffic is above 40mph then I don't do it, as the risks outweigh the benefit IMO. At slow speeds it's perfectly safe, you just have to be prepared to stop should a car pull out on you. The police on a safety course I attended were also proponents of filtering.

Some people here move over for you if they see you, others stay were they are, only a small few actively try to stop you.

In America I imagine it would be even easier given how wide your lanes are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXjfRV5Qoyc