LED Headlights

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently upgraded my turn signals to the Yamaha LED Blinker Plus lights (Thanks [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] !). I love the look, but wasn't thrilled with how different the blu-ish white LED's were compared to my yellow-ish halogen headlamps.
dce9d62865d7ca38292985c804d1c4d2.jpg

So I did a bit of research and bought a pair of LED H4's and a pair of H7's (cheaper by the pair, and I'll have spares!) on Flea-bay. Install was pretty simple. I secured the drivers to the inner fairing with double sided tape. Hardest part was trimming the dust seals just enough to fit.

f0e2344bdd054391672d4e89d145d0b2.jpg

2493ad031e755a1f1dc4554cb0da854e.jpg

2aee8b02805111c539787f5953432be3.jpg

f45c388b61461a14fcac28ddccacc82d.jpg

These lights are super bright. Advertised as 3000 lumens for the H7 and 4000 for the H4.

Some of the light leaks in an odd pattern as you can see in the pic below (this is the biggest complaint I could find in online reviews.) But I'd say 95% goes where it's supposed to and other drivers don't seem to be annoyed by them. They really light up the road, especially with the brights on.

First pic below is halogen, followed by the LED's:
407a79dde2c7ee74a0f6dc584d062d88.jpg

3ab0717d17ea3ba5f2615eda8bde22f0.jpg

Not sure why I bought units with red fans... But whatever. I like 'em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I switched over to LED headlamps a few years ago. The fans are really needed to help get the heat away from the heated LED junction for longer life. I had a supply fail and I had a light assembly fail in the 2 years.

I have the same complaint about incidental light pattern. There is a lot of light on the ground right in front of the bike. This is not good because you can claim the forward light is 2 times the halogen but if you light the ground right in front of the bike, your pupils dilate and they receive much less light from reflected objects in the distance. That means the extra lumens are really not benefiting us. As nice as my LEDs headlights are, I think they need refinement before they can be claimed as a benefit. They are no worse than my halogens but I truly can't claim they are better until I spend more time aiming them which seems to be difficult as I hardly ever ride at night.

Mine are on the SV1000s with 2x H4 headlamps and the FZ6 may benefit much more with it headlamp configuration and reflectors. :)

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Cliff. I read your thread about the headlights prior to taking the plunge. Good review!

I don't ride much at night either... Only dark experience so far has been very early mornings prior to sunrise. Unlike your experience I really don't notice them lighting the ground in front too much.
As I mentioned I mostly put them in to match the blueish white from the running lights. (Kind of like painting the trim in a room, then having to paint the walls because they look faded next to the trim! )

I feel like the extra lumens help with visibility by cagers as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Completely agree re: aiming the LED headlights. I feel like I'm finally in a decent place with it (after several tweaking sessions). I don't doubt that I get more light, not only close-by/around me, but also for seeing further - but I know I'm also better seen by vehicles in the opposite direction.

[MENTION=19634]Ohendo[/MENTION] - where did you find the "Yamaha LED Blinker Plus lights"? Are you happy with them? Are they not orange at all? Not sure of state-inspection rules, if a certain hue/color is required, but I do like the look of them!

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=19634]Ohendo[/MENTION] - where did you find the "Yamaha LED Blinker Plus lights"? Are you happy with them? Are they not orange at all? Not sure of state-inspection rules, if a certain hue/color is required, but I do like the look of them!

[MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] bought them first, you can see his write up in this thread, starting at post #85:
08 FZ6 Condensed Build thread ~Final Impact~

Bought the front and rear signals from flea-bay. Not available in the U.S. for some reason; all UK sellers it seems. They are pricey at around $100 for the front and another $100 for the rear. There are plenty of aftermarket options out there for LED signals that are much cheaper. But these are actually made by Yamaha, and they're awesome. Currently I'm only seeing the fronts on ebay in a limited search.

As for the lighting inspection question: Yes, the front running lights are bright white, no orange. However, the signal LED's are orange. I looked up the PA motorcycle lighting code, link below. It refers to another location of the code about types and positions of lamps (Tables II, IV, and V of Chapter 153.) I can't see where running lights are required at all, let alone that they be amber. Also, all the late model cars these days have white LED running lamps.

§ 175.146. Lighting and electrical systems

I did spot one part of the code that I might not be in compliance with concerning the rear signals (they're integrated with turn, tail and stop):

"(e) Other required lamps. A motorcycle shall have at least one red stop lamp and no more than two—one on each side—on the rear of the vehicle, which shall be illuminated immediately upon application of the service brake."

I have a Motodynamic tail light (integrated turn, tail and stop light). So when I hit the brakes, it lights along with the newly installed signals. So technically I have three stop lamps. The more the better in my opinion, not sure why the code is written this way. I'll find out in June when I go for inspection. Worst case I remove the wire supplying brake light voltage to the signals.