License Plate cover ups

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so, just as a general question, why do people cover up their license plates? i heard its to prevent other people from using the tag number? also to prevent people from tracking you down... either way it doesnt make sense, is someone really going to go through the trouble to track my bike down from the tags to where i live, passing 29,484 other bikes on the way..? even if they copy the plate to use for their own, i think it would be rather easy for the po-po to figure out that the red cbr1000 in cali is not the same as my black fz6 in md, even if it has the same plates....

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
people are sometimes overly cautious with their bikes because theft is such a fear with bikes, my personally philosophy is that if someone is in the area and wants to steal my bike then they will just follow me home one day. Have at it, i have insurance...

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
people are sometimes overly cautious with their bikes because theft is such a fear with bikes, my personally philosophy is that if someone is in the area and wants to steal my bike then they will just follow me home one day. Have at it, i have insurance...

i have insurance too... i also have this bad mamba-jamba
123156.jpg

3/8 hardend square chain.
1.125" eye bolt (stole it from the shop, we use them to lift 10,000lb machines) hehe steal that ****!

They would save time by taking the whole wheel off and trying to carry it.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have insurance too... i also have this bad mamba-jamba
123156.jpg

3/8 hardend square chain.
1.125\\\\" eye bolt (stole it from the shop, we use them to lift 10,000lb machines) hehe steal that ****!

They would save time by taking the whole wheel off and trying to carry it.

The way I look at bike security is that I have to try to make my bike look harder to steal than the next guys.

A big chain alone does not do it.

This is a bit extreme but I bet it happens.

Do a search on Youtube for "Stealing a motorbike" if you know how they do it you can take measures to prevent it. I think adding a Geotracker is about the best idea. That and good insurance.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0e0__FJ6gw"]YouTube - How to steal a motorcycle[/ame]

Steve

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
4 minutes is a long time when trying to steal a bike. even at the dead night. ESPECIALLY if your going to be carrying a plasma torch. we use them at work alot, they are not quiet in the least bit

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I cover my plate in pics just out of paranoia. You never know...

A bored desk cop might browse the forum and come across it and run the plate a few dozen times so when I DO get pulled over the traffic cop will see that it's been run so many times and decide that something is suspicious and decide to do a search :spank:

Besides, a little repeated cropping and pasting in photoshop is fun sometimes:Flip:

profilepic4138_2.gif

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
on that note i guess i would be a bit paranoid if i was riding wheelies in town and talking about it on the forum, then posting my plate number and then police can put 2 and 2 together and have the forum as a confession.

But i don't do that, so i am not that worried.

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gosh - after seeing the You Tube, it looks like there isn't much that would stop someone. I guess my insurance policy is the answer there!

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I assume that you mean in pictures.

I don't know exactly why I do it. I saw others doing it and my natural paranoia said,"Hey, that's not a bad idea. I don't know what info somebody could get from my plate, but I'd rather not find out."

oz1980

Reaction score
Visit site
YamahaMAXdRPMs i would try to keep as mutch of that chain and the lock off the ground as you can. Ride magazine here in the uk did a test of chains and locks, they found that against an attack with a sledge hammer most dident last more than 2-3 minuets. altho you have a strong ground anchor, thats not what will be attacked. my advice for what its worth would be to park the frount wheel closer to the anchor and wrap the chain around the wheel to take up the extra slack. I hate theifs, you work hard to get what you want then some lazy pos comes along and just takes what they want.:spank:

Last edited:

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
YamahaMAXdRPMs i would try to keep as mutch of that chain and the lock off the ground as you can. Ride magazine here in the uk did a test of chains and locks, they found that against an attack with a sledge hammer most dident last more than 2-3 minuets. altho you have a strong ground anchor, thats not what will be attacked. my advice for what its worth would be to park the frount wheel closer to the anchor and wrap the chain around the wheel to take up the extra slack. I hate theifs, you work hard to get what you want then some lazy pos comes along and just takes what they want.:spank:

+1 Chains can be jacked. Keep chain off the ground so a thief cannot cut with a tool. Also use the chain on another part of the bike, not the wheel. They can pull the wheel off and take the bike...easily.

I guess the best protection is:
A closed, locked garage and a dog outside.... :confused: I myself live in an apartment=> no covered/closed garage. I park my bike at a friends house.

Perkele311

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wait till you hear someone banging and torching away at your motorcycle then since police response times are often more time than it takes to steal a vehicle it is time for the shotgun..

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wait till you hear someone banging and torching away at your motorcycle then since police response times are often more time than it takes to steal a vehicle it is time for the shotgun..

well.. my wifes brother is a cop, and he lives about 300 yards from us, and patrols our area from midnight to 8am.. we already had a nice string of bike-jackers who were grabbing any bike not locked down and he caught them.. of course if he is sleeping on the job my next line of protection....

:rockon::rockon::rockon::Flip: hehehe
index.cfm

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Call me lazy but it looks like too much work to steal a bike.... I'll just get one from the dealership. haha

no joke... i was about 3 episodes of dirty jobs away from being too lazy to even go to the dealership! :thumbup:

as for the criminals.. i think ill be good theft wise, nothing bad about the fz but to come in my neighborhood, they would pass 4 harleys, a suzuki 500 a suzuki intruder, a z1000 and a gsxr600 all without chaings before coming to my fz with a fat@$$ chain..

A

Aggietaco

4 minutes is a long time when trying to steal a bike. even at the dead night. ESPECIALLY if your going to be carrying a plasma torch. we use them at work alot, they are not quiet in the least bit

I'd like to see someone cary a plasma around...

That's just a good ole' oxy-a torch. I think I've got the same one as that guy with the 5# bottles, makes a nice set up for wheeling in the rocks on the weekends.