Loading a bike into a tuck or trailer

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 5'x8' trailer connected to my Tundra 4x4 that I laid 2"x4"s across and then mounted a PowerStands PowerChock at the front. I hook two regular ratcheting straps to PowerChock front hook points, go outside the trailer, up from under the front fairing, over the top triple then underhook the top triple. I use that to keep the bike at the front of the trailer. I then hook the arms of the passenger pegs go under the side of the trailer, crossover, the hook back again the arm of the passenger peg. Unlock the ratchets and pull the strap tight to remove all slack, then start ratcheting. Compress the rear shock and front forks as much as you can. This keeps the bike form bouncing out of position.

Pics:
148235d1200507275-fz6-r-project-track-bike-aa100_2525.jpg

148236d1200507275-fz6-r-project-track-bike-aa100_2526.jpg

148240d1200507348-fz6-r-project-track-bike-aa100_2530.jpg

148241d1200507348-fz6-r-project-track-bike-aa100_2531.jpg

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 5'x8' trailer connected to my Tundra 4x4 that I laid 2"x4"s across and then mounted a PowerStands PowerChock at the front. I hook two regular ratcheting straps to PowerChock front hook points, go outside the trailer, up from under the front fairing, over the top triple then underhook the top triple. I use that to keep the bike at the front of the trailer. I then hook the arms of the passenger pegs go under the side of the trailer, crossover, the hook back again the arm of the passenger peg. Unlock the ratchets and pull the strap tight to remove all slack, then start ratcheting. Compress the rear shock and front forks as much as you can. This keeps the bike form bouncing out of position.

Pics:
148235d1200507275-fz6-r-project-track-bike-aa100_2525.jpg

148236d1200507275-fz6-r-project-track-bike-aa100_2526.jpg

148240d1200507348-fz6-r-project-track-bike-aa100_2530.jpg

148241d1200507348-fz6-r-project-track-bike-aa100_2531.jpg
Where are the pics man?

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm surprised it took so long, but I'm with you biker dude...getting the thing OUT of the truck is the only thing I worry about.

I'm going to look at getting a very long ramp so that the angle isn't sharp. I'm guessing my bed is 6' so it would be two 6 footers that somehow bolt together in the middle. I'll have to custom build it of course...anyone have a welder I can borrow? :p

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe you have to be a member of that other forum to see them. Hmm. Here they are again.

Hey Os ... some fella asked how to supersport his bike on another thread ... You should post him some some pics.

That looks excellent !!! good job mate

For you Neil.....

If you go for the plank of wood option beware if you have the bike running. Once the front wheel is in the van too much throttle can spin the plank away and you're in a whole world of pain !! seen it done ;)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Os ... some fella asked how to supersport his bike on another thread ... You should post him some some pics.

That looks excellent !!! good job mate

For you Neil.....

If you go for the plank of wood option beware if you have the bike running. Once the front wheel is in the van too much throttle can spin the plank away and you're in a whole world of pain !! seen it done ;)
Mate, I will be the Plank loading the bike. So I will be doing it very carefully indeed. I think Numpty has the best option for one as stumpy as me. Use a tail lift.

Neil

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Is this some kind of law where you are? I've never heard of it. I drive mine at 70-75 all the time without any problems at all.

I've driven through most all the states and have found that most major interstates specify a different speed limit for regular vehicles vs. trailer equipped vehicles. It's often unclear whether or not a pickup truck w/ small trailer would be put in the same 55MPH class as an 18-wheeler. In any event, I rather do 80MPH w/ a loaded truck than with a trailer.

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
Bad memories of putting bikes in trucks

:( The first time I loaded my bike in a truck was 15 years ago. The bike was an '87 Yamaha Radian. While riding it up, I damn near dropped it off the side of the ramp near the top (banged it up a bit regaining control). Getting it off was no picnic either. While walking it down, the back wheel went off the ramp a couple inches off the ground and I almost dropped it again.

It was 5 years before I ever had to put it on a truck again, and that time, it didn't matter. I had just broadsided a minivan that pulled out in front of me, and the Radian was toast. It took me and 3 other guys to lift it into the truck.

Thanks for bringing back the bad memories. I've been off bikes for 10 years since that day, and it took the FZ6 to convince me to get back in the saddle. Life is too short to miss out on fun like this.

Bottom line .. I'd go with the trailer if I were you. :Sport:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I've driven through most all the states and have found that most major interstates specify a different speed limit for regular vehicles vs. trailer equipped vehicles. It's often unclear whether or not a pickup truck w/ small trailer would be put in the same 55MPH class as an 18-wheeler. In any event, I rather do 80MPH w/ a loaded truck than with a trailer.

That's what I used to think as well...until I was pulled over by a Washington State trooper for "speeding" in my motorhome, because I was towing a "trailer", which was our car. He let me off with a warning, but it did demonstrate that all traffic laws can be open to an individual officer's interpretation.
It's worth checking your local laws to see if the trailer-towing speed restrictions apply to a bike trailer.

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
For my dirt bike I have an 8 foot 2x10 with a large eye hook on the bottom to strap the board to the truck so it doesn't move and 2 peices of steel on the top end of the board that rests on the tailgate.
I have a 4x4 Z71 Canyon so it's taller and I usually put the bike in first and use the clutch and a bit of throttle to power it up the ramp and halfway up i use my knee to get on the truck.
Taking it down, I have the bike off, put it in 1st and use the clutch as a brake (just let it out to stop) with some practice, you can get the bike to go down the ramp straight.
I now have an enclosed trailer for the bikes and it's easier for sure.
Anyone know if I put an FZ6 in on an angle (from corner to corner) in the bed of my truck if I can get the tailgate to close? I can do it with the MX bike with about 4 inches of clearance and the yamaha site says my MX bike has a slightly longer wheel base (2004 YZF 250... love the Yamahas i guess!)