looking to find a tutoiral on a straight pipe mod

Waleedb24

Reaction score
Visit site
Seem to be searching but havnt found anything yet, Can anyone tell me what i will need to straight pipe my yamaha fz6 07, or direct me onto the right post regarding how to do so.
dont want to spend the money on a aftermarket exhaust so might aswell straight pipe that.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First time doing it myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What engine? And what are the issues?

In general:

Pull the carb.

Remove the float bowl, usually 4 screws that will be hard to remove.

They'll be a float (goes up and down, held in with a pin). Once you remove that
there's a float needle that allows fuel to flow (or stop depending on the fuel level inside).

Pay attention to how the float possibly attached to the needle. Some sit in a slot or have a spring, some don't.

You'll see several orifices and there should be TWO orifices where when you look inside, there's a brass jet. Flat head screwdriver used.

It'll likely be stuck so spray with PB Blaster or other penetrant. Make sure your screw driver fits tight on the jet or you'll destroy it. Grind the edges of a correct screw driver if need be, it MUST fit correctly...

Remove the jets. They usually varnish up and the small holes in the jets clog up. Use carb cleaner on those with an air compressor. **You MUST be able to see thru ALL the orifices**

If there's an external air screw adjustment, gently turn it in and COUNT how many turns till lightly seated-RECORD the #. Now you can remove that one and spray cleaner thru there.

95% of the carb issues are in those TWO JETS being closed off.

For around rubber parts, I prefer brake cleaner as its not as hard on the rubber parts.

Lastly, make sure the float doesn't leak, IE hold it under water and check for
any bubbles/leaks.

Good luck and post back please..

Last edited:

blu04

Reaction score
Visit site
How did we go from wanting to put a straight pipe on to wanting to know how to clean a carburetor? I think he should have started a new thread

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't find the carburetor on my bike. Bahaha. Leave it to Townsend to respond to a carburetor question on a forum dedicated to an only EFI bike.

If I just took the entire exhaust system off my bike would that make it sound cool? Thinking about putting a baseball card in the spokes too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk