Losing Power

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking for some insight. I have a 2007 FZ6 and last April as I was riding along, it suddenly started to lose power. If I pulled the clutch in and gave it some throttle it would idle up, but when I released the clutch and started going again in would start to bog down again. It did not do it the next day after gassing up (though I know I was not nearly out of gas). I was riding some twisties however. It had not done this again until about a week ago. This time no twisties and just below a half tank of gas. Again, it had not done it since two weeks ago until today. Same thing....I have about 60 miles on this tank so it can't be a fuel level issue.

Any thoughts? Fuel Filter? Fuel Injection clogging? Anyone else experience this before?

Thanks in advance.

Simona

Reaction score
Visit site
The word "fuel" keeps getting mentioned in your description. Is it possible at all that you've been unlucky and got some bad fuel? It's happened to me a couple of times over the years in my car and bike. Immediately causes concern but like you, when I refilled it got better. Just a possibilty.

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The word "fuel" keeps getting mentioned in your description. Is it possible at all that you've been unlucky and got some bad fuel? It's happened to me a couple of times over the years in my car and bike. Immediately causes concern but like you, when I refilled it got better. Just a possibilty.

That is certainly possible...but I would have to wonder why it's not doing it earlier after a fill up as opposed to after I have gone 50+ miles? The first time it happened I had gone over 120 miles. Thanks for the reply. Any thoughts are most appreciated.

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a thought, but check your breather pipes, if they are kinked or blocked then you will end up with negative pressure in your tank as the fuel level drops.
easy way to check if this is the problem if you cant be sure the pipes are clear and unkinked- when the power drop starts, open and close the fuel cap, if it runs as you expect, then it could be fuel starvation

Black_Cirrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a thought, but check your breather pipes, if they are kinked or blocked then you will end up with negative pressure in your tank as the fuel level drops.
easy way to check if this is the problem if you cant be sure the pipes are clear and unkinked- when the power drop starts, open and close the fuel cap, if it runs as you expect, then it could be fuel starvation

Exactly what he said.

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site

Those tank breather tubes can make your bike do some really weird things. A few years ago my CBR randomly started to act up. I couldnt get her to 80MPH. I thought I had some clogged jets, which made me mad because I just cleaned the carbs. I was about to pull the tank and realized both tubes were kinked up under the tank. Straightened them out and it stopped acting up.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i m with the kinked lines theory as well since the problem is intermittent. when you fill up your tank there is no air left in the tank so the fuel flows, but when fuel level goes down, air enters and creats some sort of vacuum which if you have kinked lines will starve the fuel. (something like that i beleive). do as agf said and when it happens stop the bike and open the gas cap, if you hear hissing noises etc, you know its kinked lines.

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
That is a great idea. I will run a check on them this weekend. I really appreciate the help. This is one of the reasons that I love this Forum. Motorcycle enthusiasts looking out for one another. MY SINCERE GRATITUDE.

lmn

Reaction score
Visit site
We had a problem with the initial FZ6 assebled in Brazil and they had the same symptoms you are describing. The issue was that spark plugs were not connected properly. So have also a check if there is no loose or rusty connection on them.

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to pull the filter and plugs this weekend. Those were two of my initial thoughts along with checking for debris in the fuel injectors. Thanks for the advice.

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Careful when you pull the pump. Read up on some threads on here on how to do it because there is a little piece that snags if you dont detach it and if it breaks...say good bye to your fuel gauge :BLAA:

good luck with the bike though. Hope it turns out to be one of those simple fixes.

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Careful when you pull the pump. Read up on some threads on here on how to do it because there is a little piece that snags if you dont detach it and if it breaks...say good bye to your fuel gauge :BLAA:

good luck with the bike though. Hope it turns out to be one of those simple fixes.

Thanks for the heads up. I hope too that it is something simple. I'm doubting fuel pump as I would think that would be a more consistent problem as well...right? Hmmmm...we'll see. Thanks again.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. I hope too that it is something simple. I'm doubting fuel pump as I would think that would be a more consistent problem as well...right? Hmmmm...we'll see. Thanks again.

Hes refering to the fuel filter its in the fuel pump housing

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Black_Cirrus

Reaction score
Visit site

if you do have the problem just stop open the fuel filler and try again. My old ninja 500 they are notorious for the vents plugging up, they are in the filler not a vent tube. I have seen fuel pumps, and ignition modules cause these kind of problems on cars. Best of luck but since it goes away after a fill up my money is still on a vent problem.