Lost power to the LCD speedo unit

WillFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
A few weeks ago I posted as my speedo display was very faint in parts, and this cleared up a few days later and was as bold as ever until a few days ago....

Now there's nothing on there at all, apart from the engine temp gauge still works. I'm not sure whats caused it as the bike is always left outside so a bit of rain doesn't usually cause any problems.

Does anybody know how easy it is to access the connections from the battery to the LCD unit so I can check if anything is obviously wrong? Also, does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with it?

Its very frustrating trying to ride not knowing what speed i'm doing and how much petrol i've got left!! :rolleyes:

Sounds like you have a problem in the circuit board or an IC internally on the unit itself. You might have to get a new one but It probably wouldn't hurt if you can open and inspect the unit. It almost sounds like it may have gotten water inside. I'll assume you've checked that the unit is getting full power and has a good ground? A bad ground could cause a loss on any of the readings on the unit.
Do you have a pin-out diagram to see which wire is the ground path?

+1 on the above. I'd initially check the connectors (clean/grease with di-lectrci grease).

If still no screen showing, disassemble and check the curcuit board for any corrosion bridging any soldiered contatcs. A small SS brush with a good elecrtical contact cleaner makes this easier.

**Be forwarned, some of the cleaners are very aggresive and will melt plastic.

If it still doesn't fix it, the lcd screen probably failed. Unforatunatly, you may have to replace the entire unit and it's $527.

Babbitts Sports Center | Arctic Cat OEM Parts | Can-Am (Bombardier) OEM Parts | Honda OEM Parts | Kawasaki OEM Parts | Polaris OEM Parts | Sea-Doo OEM Parts | Ski-Doo OEM Parts | Suzuki OEM Parts | Yamaha OEM Parts

I posted this in another forum 2 years ago...
"The actual LCD panel of the display does not have a positive connection with the circuit board underneath it. It is held in place with a set of plastic tabs and relies on an inductive transfer of voltage to make the pretty numbers and bars show up, no wires or pins. If the panel gets loose and shifts at all the display will be intermittent and scrambled.

How do I know this? I damaged my original display and replaced it with another used unit I had. It had the same symptoms as you mention. The display is not serviceable as it is epoxied together along the seam between top and bottom haves. I cut through this bond line, separated the two halves and discovered what I posted above. Once I repositioned the LCD panel correctly and powered up, the old display was active and readable. However, there isn't any way to reassemble the housing tightly and accurately enough to reinstall on the bike, so it's junk sitting in a box now.."

I have pictures of the internal layout but I'll have to post them later today..

thanks for the replies

i'll have a bit of time next weekend to have a look at things - does anyone know if it will be easy to access the connectors and earthing points etc? will it just be a matter of tracing all the wires back?

Back