Luckenbach, TX, 09/25/11 (with pics)

D

Dave.TX

My friend Dana and I went on a 300 mile ride. We met at "The Y" at Oak Hill (southwest Austin) and rode some county roads until we reached the Willow City loop. He said before we got there that the place would remind me of a John Wayne western. The pictures don't do the place justice but he was right.
WillowCity02a.jpg
WillowCity06a.jpg
WillowCity08a.jpg

We then rode into Fredericksburg and then to Luckenbach. Unfortunately they were having a concert and wanted $20 for admission. We were able to get in for about 30 minutes to at least eat lunch and snap some photos.
Luckenbach01.jpg

Since they wouldn't sell us beer at Luckenbach without first purchasing the $20 admission and wristband that comes with it we rode a few minutes away to Sisterville. We stopped in at the Historic Sisterville Bar and had a bottle of Shiner Bock.
Sistervillebar2a.jpg

Unfortunately we didn't take very many pictures and the ones we did were all with our cell phones. We made a few rest stops to rehydrate with water and Gatorade. The last stop was in Blanco where we decided it had gotten hot today. Found out it was well over 100 degrees. Dana took off his jacket a few hours earlier but I kept mine on the whole trip. He made reference to he couldn't believe "us people" wear that stuff when it's so hot (full face helmet, jacket, etc) as the Harley/cruiser crowd normally wears a brain bucket helmet at best. I noticed a lot of riders today that didn't wear any protection. There were a few adventure riders and tourers, all of whom were wearing a lot more protection than the cruiser crowd.

All in all we had a good day regardless of the temperature (officially about 102 but realistically about 106). The "Hill Country" west of Austin, TX, has a lot more to offer than what we saw so there will be more trips in the coming weeks and months!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to see there were at least some parts around Austin that weren't burned up... :(

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice! Love the car in the first picture too. Oh.. sorry :BLAA:

D

Dave.TX

Very nice! Love the car in the first picture too. Oh.. sorry :BLAA:

Kinda funny... we were taking a break at a Stripes gas station and Dana was talking to a local. The guy couldn't stand the Harley he had so sold it and bought a Honda VTX 1300 and loves it. Dana has had his current bike for 4 years and said no problems except routine maintenance, etc. I get an email from him after he got home saying that his alternator died close to home. No worries, his "car" will be back on the road by the end of the week.

I almost got hit by a buzzard, durn thing flew up from the side of the road and into my lane. I had to swerve and duck as it almost hit me in the head. Buzzards are big birds!

And yes, not all of Texas was on fire recently but we saw a lot of burned areas.

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing!

Been to Uvalde and Kerrville, but didn't quite make it to Luckenbach and Fredericksburg. I aim to make it out that way soon.

A few friends of mine ride VTX. If I was in the market for a cruiser I would definitely consider a VTX.

D

Dave.TX

Thanks for sharing!

Been to Uvalde and Kerrville, but didn't quite make it to Luckenbach and Fredericksburg. I aim to make it out that way soon.

A few friends of mine ride VTX. If I was in the market for a cruiser I would definitely consider a VTX.

No problem! I love to ride and don't mind sharing as sometimes that's what inspires us to go out... we've seen where other people ride and want to go too. I love the Kerrville area, plan on riding down there and Bandera sometime soon.

If you ever come out that way shoot me a PM and I'll see if I'm off or not, and if not maybe I can get the day off. My days rotate every 4 weeks so I'll have 3 more weekends off then will be working weekends.

I like the VTX's and the Yamaha's, but only in "custom" trim. Not a fan of the huge fenders, I like sleek and sporty. Another friend had a VTX 1800 and bad mouthed Harleys like no one else. Then he sold it and got a Harley. Oh well.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice, my house is real close to there. (halfway between Bergheim and Kendalia)

D

Dave.TX

We came pretty close, then. Went from Sisterdale through Kendalia and up to Blanco. Cool ride, neat roads and very little traffic. From Blanco we went on to Driftwood past Wimberly.

There's a group in Austin that will be riding to Willow City Loop, Fredericksburg and Luckenbach this coming Sunday (Oct. 2). I might join them but waiting to see if there's another group ride I can join going other places that I didn't go just last week. Might be fun with a different group.

SWMGMC

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, my name is Angelica and just thought you might like to know ( if not savvy already) that the Harvest Classic Rally will be @ Luchenbach October 22&23rd... Would be great to see more Fizzys out there, but a great place to see motorcycles of all makes ( read a LOT less Harleys here) from many different decades...trials rider competitions, too! Ducati has a truckload of motos to try out all day Saturday (bring license & insurance info)...all for a good cause... Google it!

I will be out there on my '08 Fz6.:cheer: